Can it be done!!??

MadamVectra

Great work, and highly inspirational, however if that car makes it to billing I'm gonna feel quite inadequate! I've been at my car for about 7 months and it now looks just like yours![:I]. (doesnt help when you start polishing the head of all the bolts tho[:D])[:D])

Keep it up, If you make it you deserve an award or a medal or at least a certificate[:D][:D]! I really do hope it makes it as I'd love to see it.

Is that a standard GT/J colour? I have a sneaky feeling I tried to buy this car a couple of years back. probably a different car tho.

Keep 'er lit![:D]

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

The car was on ebay a while back (when I bought it). It used to belong to Martin Warner who now has that convertible, 400 kitted Manta pick-up! I don't think the colour is a manta colour, but it's now white... see below!! The arches were just tacked as in the pics - they are only spot-welded in the factory of course, and they tend to warp if you fully weld them.

Anyway, a slight delay in updates, but I have been busy.

Day 5. Lots more fillering, and then got rear quarters in primer. Also primered doors and bootlid. did white top coat on one door and built it up... just to keep my enthusiasm up!!

nsquarterday5.jpg

osquarterday5.jpg

doordayy5.jpg

Day 6.

Finshed primer, then sprayed top coat. Have shell including engine bay, doors and bootlid all done. n/s quarter looks a bit scruffy but will have to do. Still have wings and bonnet to do. Then it's on with the reassembly work... yipee

enginebayday6.jpg

nsquarterday6.jpg

osquarterday6.jpg

bootlidday6.jpg

Callum.

OMOC - 5716

No, it was very good when I bought it. Took it down to a mates house near Croydon, and while it was parked up, what appears to have been a lorry, drove down one side of it. No contact details... just hit and run Wheel nuts of said lorry ripped though both n/s tyres, bent both rims, gauged huge scrapes down the door and lower rear quarter, and the rest of it just smashed in the rear arch/quarter, broke rear light and ripped off bumper. Not happy at the time, to say the least!

Callum.

OMOC - 5716

Ok. Update time.

Progress is good although slower now I'm back at work.

Since Sunday I Have....

Done second coat of white paint.

Flatted back o/s quarter and bootlid.

fitted black trim around o/s door.

fitted lock and spoiler to bootlid and refitted to car.

cleaned up and replaced brakes on new 1800 axle and fitted.

machined spacers for new Bilsteins (spherical bearing type fitment)

dug out a nice set of Bronze tint glass from the collection.

refitted heaterbox and bulkhead soundproofing.

resrayed and refitted brake servo.

Currently looks like this although these photos are poor as they were taken on my phone.

DSC00268.jpg

DSC00269.jpg

Callum.

OMOC - 5716

Really does show what can be done when you pull your finger out. I'm hoping to take a lesson from you guys and really get stuck in on my car. Now I'm on shifts it will give me some week days when the girlfriend is at work to get on with the car uninterupted.

Great job guys

Dan

4f8.jpg

Member: 5612

http://www.mantaclub.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6321

I have been doing mantas up for about 15 years, it takes me ages to get a car from start to finish.

How the hell are you doing it so fast ?

have you got a secret team of pro car builder working formula one style?

respect !![8D]

----All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be---

a quick message to i240dan

shifts are cool for working on the car when the missus is at work. A word of warning though, steer clear of having children till its finished! Mine's hardly seen the light of day since Daisy was born and Nat's been off work all the time! still, I wouldnt swap my little girl for the world!

signature.jpgmantaebay1.jpgcarsmall1.jpg

http://www.chavspotters.com

Andy Turner a.k.a Fat Southern B'stard

ok, more steady progress being made.

Have now flatted roof and pillars (roughly), fitted sunroof, front and rear windows and door seals, dash & heater ducting etc.

Photo's still on phone, but colour has come out better this time.

DSC00271.jpg

DSC00272.jpg

OMOC - 5716

Will this really be at Billing as an MOT booking and everything else maybe a little pressed for time even if you get the car finished today!? I hope it will of course or are you just finishing it before the weekend?

What's happening engine wise? 2.0 CIH on 1.8 Axle?

ah... now then.. I have an advantage here. Still has MOT from last time it was on the road (It was at billing last year). Engine is 2.0 8v seh engine (SRi 130) with 1800 axle. I do need to get 2 new tyres (Friday), and fit a new clutch, but I am still fairly confident.

Callum.

OMOC - 5716

Well Clive, my confidence is up. Had the day off work yesterday and made excellent progress dispite the occasional rain storm.

It's now day 17 of the project.

Monday & Tueday evening I got the rest of the paint buffed up, sprayed up the black trim for the n/s and fitted it. fitted n/s door seals, assembled n/s door, fitted both doors (although one needs a quick coat of paint, as it was sprayed from an old tin and the colour does not match) fitted rear quarter windows, rear bumper, and wired in rear lights.

Wednesday (Day 17) I fitted engine, gearbox and front subframe, tightened up all rear-axle bolts, fitted rear anti-roll-bar, topped up gearbox oil, fitted speedo cable, clutch cable, and handbrake cable, made up fresh brake lines for axle, and fitted braided flexible line, fitted exhaust manifold and complete system... Basically got all the nasty under-car jobs out of the way. Much more confident about this being at Billing now. Keep your eyes peeled!

DSC00274.jpg

DSC00275.jpg

OMOC - 5716

PS.. need a little help. Has anyone got a spare set (four) of those little rubber grommets that the rear quarterlight hinges fit into. If so, take them to Billing and would be most grateful

Callum.

OMOC - 5716

woah, I know it's a great motor but how f'ugly is the seh ? maybe it's the cam-cover-that makes-it-look-like-a-nova-1.2 ?

Car looks great tho!

post Roanoke

OMOC 5885

manta_avatar_small.jpg

loose lips sink ships

Hi Callum,

see you on Saturday then, the project looks fantastic. I remember seeing it last year at Billing, very straight. Glad it has been possible to recover from the dreaded hit and run.

C476 should be there, almost the last time out before it goes for the bodywork to be sorted.

regards

matthew

member 5811 i200 coupe

quote:Originally posted by PeteM

woah, I know it's a great motor but how f'ugly is the seh ? maybe it's the cam-cover-that makes-it-look-like-a-nova-1.2 ?

Car looks great tho!

post Roanoke

OMOC 5885

manta_avatar_small.jpg

loose lips sink ships

id="quote">id="quote">

[:0] how dare you diss my engine[:P] You're right though, it does look Nova-ish (or just Manta 1800-ish!). Good thing it's light, and powerful eh!

And yes Matt, I will hopefully see you at Billing, although I'm only going on the Sunday. Hope XNX is still going strong... Can't wait to see it again actually.

Callum.

OMOC - 5716

Ok the standard SEH is fugly.....

But what about when you do something like this with it? [;)][}:)][}:)][:D][:D]

PIC00052.jpg

Sills?, what are those bits of rust laying on the floor then?

BOJ, Jodie, Chicken$h!t

Spares, Racer in waiting, GONE! [:(]

Now known as JC (Jesus Christ) Thanks to Big John for that one

1148113674346.gif