Shugs increasingly solid Manta A project

Shug

Hi Paul,

I can vouch for that. Its strange Penzance has become an even more attractive holiday destination since the Manta sanctuary sort of marked itself on the map. Eden project nice, Tate St Ives, and the Barbarah Hepworth museum, but then again if you like your mantas it should be top of the list. Recently the new destination is Bury St Edmunds - Simon's workshop, with these cars you get around, I'd never even been to East Anglia. Leicestershire for some reason I'm never out of the place, most recent run to pick up a rear screen. Scotland next, which I think is where the car was trailered home from by Callum and Nate about four years ago.

Then there is Ireland still hoping to make the Easter weekend.

Rambling a bit now, starting to miss the car, but its tucked away having the best Christmas a manta can have, a bare metal respray and complete fettle, new engine as well.

Still haven't been spotted yet, I thought the M4, M25 and M11 on the way down would get get some sightings, have to wait now for the return trip.

cheers

Matthew

Have a cracking Christmas Manta bods

member 5811 i200 coupe

• 3 weeks later...

Moving swiftly back on topic [:P]

This christmas I will mostly be dismantling the axles, and blasting more of the underside (that black goop is stupidly tough!)

Got a shiny new phone with a 3.2 megapixel camera and a flash so hopefully the pictures will be a lot better.

Just one thing tho.

Its christmas. Its scotland (the highlands to be exact)

If I may paraphrase Oates:

"I'm just going out to my Manta. I may be a while"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

sigpic.JPG

I hae a few guid reasons for drinkin’

And yin juist entered ma heid

If a man canna’ drink while he’s livin’

Hoo the Hell can he drink when he’s deid!

Good to see you cracking on with the car Shug, you will have a big smile on your face when you get the underneath finished, [:D]and the nicely painted rear axle and front crossmember back in [^]

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

The New OMOC Northern and Southern Ireland Forum

http://www.vxopel.com/phpBB/

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

This week has been the "why the **** will you not work?" week.

After enduring a variety of failing devices at christmas, I go to my manta.

Time for some blasting thinks I. Fire up compressor, start blasting, hose falls off hopper.

Half hour fixing it back up and the compressor won't start.

Turn my attention to something else, and spend ages trying to remove a bolt and eventually give up and cheat by swapping the socket set for an angle grinder!

Eventually get old coil spring off and turn my attention back to the underside. Get compressor running again then shot blaster stops picking up shot.

Then the compressor stops working.

So out comes the drill with wire brush attachments.

Cut out dodgy jacking point, ground away rust with drill.

I think I need to completely cut out a section of chassis leg and weld in new bit.

Discovered some more small holes.

Been on the look out for a nice mig welder in january sales so as soon as I pick one up, assuming the welder works!, it'll be full steam ahead again!

Can't wait til the underside is finished! [:(!]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

sigpic.JPG

This is the thing with restoration, My workshop needs about an hours worth of tidying before I can even get to the car, the car underneath the A then needs to be moved out and then the ramp lowered and work can start, then after you do a few hours including lost tools/mig out of gas/cup of tea/fag/chat with people who come in and say "oohh, whats that then?" its time to pack it all up again, another hour gone there.

Total time taken to work on car 3 maybe 4 hours.

Faffing time 3 maybe 4 hours.

ahh. i love it.

by the way i have found the chassis plates to that shell !! i took then off for safe keeping and forgot till i found them by accident.

-----it's lonely here,

there's no one left to torture-----

---paulnewport "at" breathe.com---

Well, back in edinburgh now and got pitifully little done over the holiday. [:(]

Heres a couple of random uninteresting pictures anyway.

DSC00018.JPG

Front axle off.

And yes, that is a bit of chassis rail attached to trailing arm! (it gave way before the nut did [:D]

DSC00027.JPG

DSC00030.JPG

Off with its 'ead! Took rocker cover off to blast it. Some of them there rockers seem rather loose.

DSC00031.JPG

Before

DSC00033.JPG

After

DSC00034.JPG

Clean solid chassis. [8D]

Every manta owners dream [:P]

OMOC #5988

sigpic.JPG

Hard to beat a big tank of Gas and a heater [:)] The underneath is looking good Shug great to see it nice and clean, Rust free,the front xmember will look loads better if it gets the sandbalster at it [:D]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

quote:Originally posted by Robbie

the front xmember will look loads better if it gets the sandblaster at it [:D]

id="quote">id="quote">

My thoughts exactly. If I can get the bloody thing working! [:P]

Despite the manky appearance, the springs, xmember and upper/lower arms are in good condition.

By the way, how the hell do you get the anti roll bar out of the lower control arms?

OMOC #5988

sigpic.JPG

That can be a pure $h1t of a job to do, there is a big bolt that screws into the ARB, if it siezed you will have to take the xmember apart and plonk it in a bucket of diesel for ages, to get it loosened, I have had problems with these a few times.

When you get the bolts out of either side sometimes the old rubber bush is siezed into the arm. If this happens you can burn them out, do it outside lol it gets smokey.

then you can get it all blasted and nicely painted up ready for the rebuild. [:)]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

Got one bolt out but my special tool, called I believe 'big ****ing hammer' does not appear to do the job of shifting the bush.

My improvised bush removal tool (normally used as a bearing puller [:D]) wasn't much help.

The other side bolt is seized in good and proper.

Hammered a socket on and used the biggest wrench I have and it wouldn't budge [:(]

Its been soaked in wd40 profusely.

I have to confess that motivation is waning because of the tedium of the underside.

Got new panels delivered the other day, so when I get my hands on a welder I'll no doubt be spurred on again!

OMOC #5988

sigpic.JPG

The progress is looking good, you have to keep going on it now as you are doing so well.

As for the big anti roll bar bush bolt that will not move i found that a decent amount of heat helped loosen it, i got one bolt red hot and it came out no worries, of course the bush melted as well but then I wanted to burn that out anyway.

-----it's lonely here,

there's no one left to torture-----

---paulnewport "at" breathe.com---

id="size3">Hi Shug, I recently joined OMOC and new to this forum. Just read the whole of your Manta rebuild to date. I bet your pleased now on making the decision (prompted by other members) to go with a more restorable shell, rather than the 95% rusted origional. Or should that be 99% rusted!!!. Interesting to see the body shell turned on its side, without the aid of those roll over bars that clamp to the wheel hubs. Not seen that before with Manta 'A'. Was there any damage to the sill or wheel arch by doing this? as the shell seems to be just on timber posts? I have the front of my 'A' hoisted up to the roof of my garage, but can only get to half of the floor pan. Will have to turn it round to restore the rear end. Am thinking....On its side would be far better.

My Manta build is to a similar stage to yours, will post the progress soon.

Cheers....Mal

OMOC #6022 H9OP6tnFJvCgw3kz3xgONVPRv4v9t6WR0060.jpg Start your Manta restoration today.... before its too late!

Its actually sitting on a pile of cardboard thats on the timber.

The shell doesnt weigh a huge amount and seems ok on its side.

Replacing the sill anyway.

There is no rear wheel arch on it at the moment.

I still reckon the first is savable tho [:D]

Just needs a weeeeeee bit of welding and a rub down with wet n dry [:P]

OMOC #5988

sigpic.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

More progress!

No pics, unless you really want to see paint drying [;)]

Got sandblaster working again and carried on the underside. Almost finished half the underside but progress is a bit quicker after remembering I had a tin of nitromors [:I]

Got fuel tank off old shell and its a little rusty in patches, no too bad, immaculate in others and has one wee hole which I hope will repair on a corner.

Health and safety folk stop reading now!!!

I used an angle grinder to help remove bolts and pipes from fuel tank [}:)]

Feelin a lot more positive about it all now as I have to confess I was starting to feel a bit down about it all. But now I've got stuck back in, all is well again!

My aim is to have it ready for scone in september. I think Billing is a tad optimistic, tho if I make it there with this manta, I demand car of the show just for making it! [:o)]

OMOC #5988

hmackay at opel-manta.com

sigpic.JPG

Ok, I can tell you're all dying to see the paint drying and I didn't take the pics for nothing [:P]

To begin with:

before.JPG

Halfway:

partway.JPG

Pretty colour! (it dries black tho [:(] )

bloo.JPG

Like the left here:

bottom2.JPG

Smooth as a babies erse.

Dismantled bit more of old one.

Fuel tank:

tank.JPG

holy_tank.JPG

Anyone reckon its savable?

The poor remains, diminished a bit more:

cold.JPG

Now, anyone still reading? Wanna see my holiday pics? [:P]

OMOC #5988

sigpic.JPG

Shug I like the underneath of the car, no dirt, no crap, and no rust, just how a manta should be, hopefully that will keep the rust away for a long time, A few more coats of paint etc it will look the mutts nutts [^]

Be nice to those poor remains of the old A and dismantle it for ever lol [:D]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

Please dont shoot me it,s only an opinion not a demand

Email robbie @ mantamagic.com (without the spaces)

quote:Originally posted by Robbie

Be nice to those poor remains of the old A and dismantle it for ever lol [:D]

id="quote">id="quote">

If I can ever figure out how to get the dash out in one piece I will!

Removed every bolt and screw I can see and the damn thing still won't shift!

Any easier with the windscreen out first? Was a bit cold (as you might have guessed) to do too much outside! [:P]

OMOC #5988

sigpic.JPG

Hydrate 80 from http://www.bilthamber.co.uk *

Dries black. Its top stuff.

(* copyright Joe, 2007 [;)] )

OMOC #5988

sigpic.JPG

should just have the 2 bolts, one each side at the bottom, then there are the 3 bolts along the top of the dash, , dont forget to undo the bolts/screws that hold the air moulding to the dash, these are the ones that guide the air up through the air vents.

That should be about it Hugh.

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

Please dont shoot me it,s only an opinion not a demand

Email robbie @ mantamagic.com (without the spaces)

Hi Shugs, nice bit of rust treatment there, should last for years[:D]

As for the fuel tank, I would say beyond repair, would not want to risk a fuel leak. If you cant find a better tank example or something similar size, then pehaps a fuel tank in the boot, have seen that done a few times.

Mal.....OMOC #6022 H9OP6tnFJvCgw3kz3xgONVPRv4v9t6WR0060.jpg Start your Manta restoration today........ before it's too late!

Hi Shug,

i have a manta A fuel tank in good condition that is surplus to my needs. If you want it then for £30 we can do a deal!

I will be visiting friends in Glasgow on the 23rd feb as i am planning to get very drunk at the scotland v italy game on the sat ( so the £30 is for a very good cause)

and take in the autosports show on the sunday.

If you are interested in the deal just drop me a line and we can arrange to meet up.

kev (aka upk)