Shugs increasingly solid Manta A project

Shug

JAY-SUS dude!

I'd worry about how you'll keep the shell shraight! You may need to take to a bare sheel then brace it before you start any repairs. You'll need another car to look at and measure as you go, its difficult to make out what shape the inner gaurds are meant to be[:D].

Personally I'd walk away from it (or re-shell) but I hope you get stuck in and if you get the car back on the road then you shall be a manta god!

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

• 2 weeks later...

Gave the manta a quick rub with wet and dry and a drop of kurust and its all solid again!

(ok, theres a possibility its actually a new shell I just got from paul [:P])

Its currently perched on a few fence posts awaiting to be attacked with nitromors, waxoyl and whatever other noxious anti-rust products that catch the eye! I did forget to take photos once home, but heres the view from the drivers seat of my vectra whilst towing it:

view.JPG

In other developments I was eyeing up a few bits on Dr Manta's site (and trying to find them on the greek opel parts list!) and it came (including shipping estimate) to about 78 quid. Bit broke at the moment, but I won 78 quid on lottery last night! Its a sign! God approves of my plan! (if only I had been looking at a ferrari site instead!) [:D]

Once I finish stripping the old manta there may be a few bits available. Anyone wanting body panels I can cut off (the few that are solid and not half filler!) I'll see what I can do.

Phew I am glad you got a new shell[:D] Just looking at the pics was giving me cold sweats lol, and I am not shy about a bit of welding.I think it would have been easier to make a manta from scratch out of old oil drums lol

86 exclusive coupe

88 exclusive pickup

86 GTE Hatch

i thought i was taking on a big project??????

anyway i am currently modifying my a series (see my thread)and will rebuild to non original spec. as build progresses i may be in mind to dispose of some of the original parts. I will not be using the bumpers and mine are in very good condition, nor the original engine and box, and i dont want the original seats, or petrol tank(NOT ROTTEN). if you need anything just pm me.

• 3 weeks later...

Spent most of this weekend on the beast. Due to time constraint and not wanting any bare metal left to the rust demon, I rushed it a bit so will have to go back at it and do parts of it properly again. I hope Bilt Hamber know their stuff!

First up was removal of engine. Radiator was savable so out came the engine shield to get at the underside of it all.

I suspect the shield is past saving tho:

shield.JPG

Then I needed to ease the exhaust from the engine:

exhaust.JPG

Slight adjustment to front to make more room:

front.JPG

front_bit.JPG

Out comes the engine:

enginehang1.JPG

Its gonna need a good wee scrub!

engine.JPG

After that was out, I gave the inner wings a quick rub down and little spray of rust eater.

Before

inner-wing.JPG

After:

bay.JPG[;)]

Then rubbed down shell til arms burned and clarted with Bilt hambers finest:

frontunpaint.JPG

frontpaint.JPG

side.JPG

I suspect bonnet is past it tho. Even if its blasted rust free its gonna be thin!

bonnet.JPG

Back up the road for another bash at it this weekend.

Will be going at the shell with wirebrushes again to make fully sure I get all rust off it and redo the rushed bits from last time.

Will be doing everyones favourite task as well.

The joyous 'old underseal removal spectacular' [V]

Was hoping to get underseal on but events elsewhere have overshadowed the task and I will be off to a funeral instead so time will be short this time.

Still need to finish removing interior, door, lights etc from old one.

Seeing as how I have a spare front cross member with upper and lower control arms, might see if I can modify to take a wee bit more cc. You know, from 1600 up a wee bit to maybe 5700 [:D]

Started writing a shopping list for the car. Its scarily big!

Tho there will soon be a list of spares for sale as well.

Does anyone wanna buy a sunroof or driver side wing?

Think I'll also be selling a manifold for twin 45's for the CIH.

Most pressing things I need are wheel arches, driverside sill and rear lower quarters.

Oh, and a mig welder [;)]

• 2 weeks later...

Well, there was more scraping, grinding, sanding and wire brushing done, then on with the hydrate 80.

No more pics cos really not much more to see!

I guess this is the least exciting, but most important part of the project.

On the bright side, I've discovered the carb I have is a weber replacement. Was replaced in 91. Cars been laid up since 94 so its only had 3 years of use. Will probably send it off to be refurbed for peace of mind. Found a place that wants £85 for basic and £130 for full strip down and rebuild. That price about fair?

My parts stock is increasing. Added condensor, big end shells and wheel cylinders to the collection.

Still need a MIG welder tho!

No more progress for a fortnight now. Things to do, people to see [:(]

(and overtime to do to pay for the damn thing! [;)])

• 3 weeks later...

Onto the underside! Though how does one get easy access to the underside of a Manta shell. . .

[:D]

side.JPG

And the horror was revealed! [:0]

jacking.JPG

sill.JPG

side3.JPG

Then with the help of my japanese mate Makita and a wire wool attachment and Mr Bilt Hamber:

side4.JPG

jacking2.JPG

The jacking point and chassis rail bit below it will be cut out and replaced.

Knew I should have gotten to it sooner. [:I]

Couple of pin holes appeared do they'll need sorted.

Takes a while to sort with a power drill and wire attachment so sand blaster kit on order! Have a rather hefty compressor available so next session should be a bit more productive [8D]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

sigpic.JPG

But I'm a name, not a number dammit!

• 2 weeks later...

Blast off!

Got the sandblaster up and running at the weekend and had a go at the underside.

middle.JPG

Nice and satifying to see clean metal on a Manta [:D]

rail.JPG

However, not all was rosy. I think the jacking point needs attention!

rusty.JPG

rusty2.JPG

Chassis rail beside it needs patched as well.

One thing sandblasting does do, is reveal all manner of wee pin holes.

[:(]

Gonna take a while to sort all them.

I also decided to continue stripping the old shell. If you are of a sensitive nature to Mantas in distress, look away now!

First up had to decide how to get car lifted to get front crossmember out. Body not solid enough to jack. So. . . . .

lift.JPG

Every manta owner should have one of these tools. Invaluable! [:D]

Got the whole front bit off, including a 2 foot section of chassis rail where it connects to trailing arm cos it gave way before the bolt! [:0]

This left us with this:

front.JPG

Then wondered how to raise rear end. Se moved blocks back to under the middle of the car. Problem was, rear was heavier than front and so wouldn't see saw. So......

sleeper.JPG

[:D]

On a three week break from it now. Overtime to fund the thing to be done!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMOC #5988

sigpic.JPG

I love the horrible inner city backdrop to your outside pictures. Magnificent! Whereabouts are you?

Cheers,

Joe.

Please log in to the Forum from the home page folks. It helps to keep the site at the top of Google.

The good bumper has a 3 inch diameter hole rusted through it on other side and plenty rust spots [:(]

The front cross member and arms seem to be, dirt aside, in good nick.

Steering rack still shiny and good!

Got wee bit more to do to underside then welding time!

Then half a year of sanding, filling, and sanding some more in preparation for priming.

Little confused about the variety of paints available. Some need lacquer, others dont. Some are 100 quid for 5 litres others 300!

How much paint does a Manta need?

So many questions.

Will be getting someone else to do topcoat, but I think I'll be doing it in primer and prepping it. Should help bring the cost down.

Oh yes, the car is sitting in a nice secluded area 20 miles north of Inverness [:D]

OMOC #5988

sigpic.JPG

[?]You know those sancturies where knackered old horses go? maybe you could open one for knackered old Mantas beyond redemption! you could dot them all about to look like they're grazing, and visitors could nick bits off them in return for a donation, bit like an eco friendly scrapyard![:D]

Just an Idea[V]id="purple">

¸¸.·*´¯`v´¯`*·.¸¸$©øøßÿ$øø¸¸.·*´¯`v´¯`*·.¸¸

[:D]I love V[8]s I do!!![:D]

A Type 2.4 Berlinetta

A Type 2.4

Opel GT

http://www.rally-bird-v8.piczo.com

Opel Manta: The New Endangered Species.

Caution: Aggressive In All Habitats.id="purple">

One exists already,its just off the A30 near Penzance in Cornwall.

Brown tourist signs will but put up soon directing visitors to 'THE CORNISH MANTA SANCTURY'

People will be able to visit and see each Manta in its own container,demonstrations of the working ones will be made,they will be able to visit the workshop to see them under repair,the entrance fee and donations will go toward the upkeep of the species.

I'm sure it will become another popular stop on the south west tourist trail!

I've got piles of all sorts of Manta parts,i might even have something you need!

surplus parts bought,whole cars considerd. M/B 07947 640505

OMOC Member number 2658F

Ian Virco,area rep,Beds Herts and North Bucks.

*looks up and sighs*

The only thing is that it is true.....apart from the bit about charging entry, hmmmm.....

seriously though folks, if your on holiday my Manta sanctuary is always open for a cup of tea and a chat.

-----empty spaces, what are we living for ?-----