Shugs increasingly solid Manta A project

Shug

Got the manifold from bogg bros, and they refurbed the carbs. They told me the jets would be sorted, but they never touched them. They are all balanced up, but I've gotten fed up with them now, so switching to injection.

Sad to here all the problems you are having Shug, I hope the injection will iron out the bugs and get you to Billing. I am sticking with injection on my car for the same reason, and one day might do the carbs route.

Rob

• 2 months later...

couple wee changes. Broke down again cos of some weird ignition problem. Think the module was over heating and retarding the timing till the engine cut out. Or the

coil. Anyway, replaced coil and module and something else. Oh, the fuelling system!

injection.jpg

Still to sort out wiring and neaten it up, but theres something else needing neatened up first.

front.jpg

rear.jpg

Just rear wheel arches, lower front wings, doors and front and back to do now. Then its getting a respray in decent paint by someone who knows what they are doing! (i.e not me)

Got the manifold from bogg bros, and they refurbed the carbs. They told me the jets would be sorted, but they never touched them. They are all balanced up, but I've gotten fed up with them now, so switching to injection.

Hi Shug

Thanks for your advice on the ignition module, got a Bosch 124 and got a spark, even had the engine running now :)

Just some tiding up to do and hopefully be a reliable 2.2 injection system.

Guy

opel2-2.jpg

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Well, I never did get to the bottom of why the injectors weren't pulsing but staying on. Bit the bullet and blew some cash on a megasquirt setup. After much fiddling about I go it running, albeit a bit roughly. After messing with the fuelling got it idling relatively ok, then it cut out. Decided to check the oil, to find the sump full of water. So new head gasket and little-rubber-bit-that-musn't-be-forgotten.

Head bolted back on, and the thing won't idle. Fires up then dies unless throttle is delicately held slightly open. Its not been tuned for cold starts, so hopefully that's all it is. Either that or the idle control valve. Hopefully an easy fix.

But then I've got the issue of the alternator no longer charging the battery. Which I'm hoping is just a minor wiring glitch as I've still to neaten up the birds nest of wiring after fitting the megasquirt.

But at least it looks kinda pretty. No photo of it in current state, but here it is after what should be the last time I paint the damn thing! (2k paint this time. Iso-cyanate free so I'll pay someone to paint it when it fails!)

IMAG0238_zpsd987d16d.jpg

Its been wetsanded and polished and all lights, glass and trim attached. Still not fixed the dodgy drivers door alignment tho. No sure what to do about that.

I had the same problem with my hatch drivers door,  I fixed it by putting a big block of wood

near the top. closed the door to hold the wood and laid on the floor with feet against the bottom of door and bent it

to right place. that was 10 years ago, still ok now:)

• Like 2

I had the same problem with my hatch drivers door,  I fixed it by putting a big block of wood

near the top. closed the door to hold the wood and laid on the floor with feet against the bottom of door and bent it

to right place. that was 10 years ago, still ok now:)

I did this on J reg drivers door it works well. It's a frameless door with catch near the top and I think seal pressure and closing does this over the years

Word of warning:

I overcooked it on the left side and it kinked the door top corner by A pillar out. It pushed back but you don't want to find yourself there

Well, door still squint and has to be lifted to be closed now and is pretty hard to open.

Megasquirt controller is completely dead and unresponsive so that's pretty much back to square one again several hundred quid lighter.

I have diagnosed and fixed problems on my Audi, a car so ridiculously complicated its a good thing I have a computing degree, but not once has it come close to the grief this bloody manta gives me. I'm pretty much out of ideas, patience and money now.

Unless a revelation hits over the Xmas hols, I'm breaking it in January.

Unless a revelation hits over the Xmas hols, I'm breaking it in January

You are so near, it is only something small, go through the basics, compression test, check you have full fuel pressure etc if make sure as many basic functions are working then what you cannot check is a possible source of the fault, also you say that there is a 'Birds nest' of wiring, perhaps you need a day with a multimeter checking circuits.

If the mega squirt is truely dead you haven't had it long, can you get their help? is there some form of warrentee with it? but with a birds nest of wiring and a charging problem it might not be getting all the volts it needs.

The door might need the hinges checking, they sound like they are worn, ( the door hinge pin holes ) my Gold Two slot ( pictured left ) has a slightly drooping drivers door the makes a bang as it shuts, the answer would be to reem out the holes larger and fit oversize pins, how the F.. i could get a reemer in there or get hold of oversized pins i have no idea, any thoughts everyone?

If you lived a bit closer i'd come round and stick my head under the bonnet, all of us car nuts locally help each other out, people have found faults i have totally overlook, i have spotted things that have defeated them, is there anyone near to you who can cast their eye over it, give you a fresh angle? not just in the Manta Club but anyone who 'tinkers' with cars and knows how to get them running ( not someone who is always taking them apart and they never run again !! )

I know exactly whats wrong with the megasquirt. Can't blame the manufacturer at all, in fact he's been very helpful and I'm sending it to him to sort for me.

Its easy to say I'm so close and almost there, but that's been said for near the last 2 years now and I should be enjoying driving it now, but instead I'm battling one problem after another and its tiring. Not sure I'll enjoy driving it as I'll always be waiting for what feels like an inevitable breakdown.

The door is worse after trying the above suggestions. Not something I'll ever be recommending to anyone.

I know classics can have their issues, but this one has been ridiculous, bordering on completely farcical.

The door is worse after trying the above suggestions. Not something I'll ever be recommending to anyone.

I know classics can have their issues, but this one has been ridiculous, bordering on completely farcical.

You put the block of wood in the door aperture at handle height and only handle height not all the way down so the bottom is unsupported so can be pushed in? Shame if so and it didn't work out. I had a 50% success rate 1 door out of 2 was better than non.

See how it sits with door seals removed

• 3 weeks later...

Won't idle but can happily rev the tits off it. Running bit rich tho so taking a break to let the fumes clear! Just the Speedo, rev counter and door to sort as well. And could do with an accurate fuel gauge. Anyone modded a manta sender to work with Smith's gauge? Mine reads a quarter tank too low when full.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hi Shug, 

WOW…….....looks like you have got well stuck in with the prep work 😀

What brought that on, are you still looking to sell it or going to be a keeper and show at the NEC?

Will you be respraying it yourself again, if so, I will watch with interest, as I will be respraying my manta A soon.

That sound like a great plan Shrug.

I'm pulled between spraying my manta on my drive/garage or taking it to a pro.

I have not had a quote, but guess it would be £2k - £3k?

I attended a college evening course on spraying back in the 80's, but have only sprayed 2 cars since, with varying degrees of success.

Guess if I also do all the prep and a coat of epoxy primer, then a local pro spraying quote, should reflect this?