quote:Originally posted by Robbie

Mind you the sparks from the grinder and splats of weld are kinda hot [:I][^]

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

id="quote">id="quote">

aren't they just! i've got scars from welding up my GT/E day in day out for a couple months, so even if i sell the car its a permanent reminder of those dark days... [xx(]

perhaps i should look at it in a little more positive light - permanent reminder of my achievements perhaps??

*invisages lying under the manta with a welder and a mask, car surrounded by a sea of fire, demons prodding with red hot pokers if i try to come out from under the car*

demonic voice bellowing "HAHAHAHAAHAAHAAAAGGGHHHH!!! WELD FOR ALL ETERNITY!!! HAHAHAHAAHAHHAAAAAGGGHHH!!!!"

[:(] [V] nnngghhhaaagghhh!!! [xx(]

[;)]

1984 GT/E Coupe, 1978 Cavalier, 1972 Firenza. OMOC # 5875

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:Originally posted by Autoscum101

id="quote">id="quote">

aren't they just! i've got scars from welding up my GT/E day in day out for a couple months, so even if i sell the car its a permanent reminder of those dark days... [xx(]

perhaps i should look at it in a little more positive light - permanent reminder of my achievements perhaps??

*invisages lying under the manta with a welder and a mask, car surrounded by a sea of fire, demons prodding with red hot pokers if i try to come out from under the car*

demonic voice bellowing "HAHAHAHAAHAAHAAAAGGGHHHH!!! WELD FOR ALL ETERNITY!!! HAHAHAHAAHAHHAAAAAGGGHHH!!!!"

[:(] [V] nnngghhhaaagghhh!!! [xx(]

[;)]

id="quote">id="quote">

[:D][:D] ROfL!!! Classic!

Sills?, what are those bits of rust laying on the floor then?

BOJ, Jodie, Chicken$h!t

Spares, Racer in waiting, GONE! [:(]

Now known as JC (Jesus Christ) Thanks to Big John for that one

Red hot pokers lol that sounds about right [:(]

A few more pics of the progress at the end of week 4 [:)]

ds%20rear%20sill%20inner640.JPG

There was a big hole in the ds rear inner sill section this was cut out and a new section installed. Also just around the corner from this repair the rear arch was also repaired at the end of the sill, a few other minor welds were also carried out on the arch.

ps%20rear%20sill%20inner640.JPG

The passenger side had a new sill fitted a few years ago but they never bothered to weld the inner section to the sill, this was cleaned out and seam welded and now looks like it should, just a few other minor repairs were required on the Passenger side rear arch.

undreneath%20primed640.JPG

With all the welding done on the car from the rear valance to just past the torque tube bracket, the car was done with a Rust eater just to make sure all signs of rust were gone, it then promptly received a coat of Etch primer which is near impossible to remove, the floor will then be stone chipped and then get 3 coats of 2 pack Black paint with some softener added, Same as the additive for rubber spoilers to stop the paint chipping as much.

undreneath%20primed2640.JPG

The underneath is starting to take shape now .....Just the front half to do now

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

Must say i pushed it a bit Gaz this past few weeks lol, but the better half is a sister in one of the hospitals and works nights so I get to work all hrs when shes not about [:)] mind you took the good lady out for a nice meal last week to keep her onside.

I hope to get the underneath of the car finished this week as far as the engine bay, then will take some time out before starting the engine bay area and the front panel area. Front crossmember is in a right mess to with all the shutz and rust so that will take a week of nights to sort out at least.

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

I remember those days robbie! My wife used to be a nurse in ICU, now shes a health visitor. Thing is when the kid came along you cant work coz your looking after him! Dont think hes old enough to help on the car yet![V]

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

No rest for the wicked mark and with the ferry booked we better get working hard lol [^]

project wise the underneath is pretty well sorted now up as far as the bulkhead.

underneath%20sprayed%20640.JPG

Once the etch primer was done under the car, it was then done with 2 pack primer and 2 coats of stone chip. With that all out of the road and hardened the underneath was then sprayed with black 2 pack paint.

underneath%20sprayed3640.JPG

Once the spraying was finished the rear axle was reinstalled, but the torque tube has to be done yet, The handbrake cable was put back into place and some of the brake pipes done over the rear axle. Everything has to be tightened up properly yet and the handbrake connected to the rear drums.

Thats the car more or less sorted for now underneath as far as the bulkhead, from here the next tasks will be to get the inner wings, front valance, and engine bay stripped from all the sticky gue. Then the passenger side will all need welded up around the bulkhead and inner wing area, and some welding to the front of the inner wing. The front valance also requires a right bit of sorting and welding. Then the big job of sorting out the drivers side chassis leg. All the paint etc has to be stripped from the engine bay as its chipped and rather rusty in places.

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

Cant wait to see your car Paul I bet it will be 101%

The underneath was a mess and I ended up having a load of welding to do [:(] Just glad I have got up as far as the bulkhead now, In behind the front valance is the real fiddly bit to get at, I,ll prob cut most of the front valance away as I have ordered a 2 piece spoiler. That will make access a lot easier [^]

Glad the underneath don't look like this anymore.

rear%20axle.JPG

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

No it wasnt sandblasted Paul our weather just wont allow such things at the moment. The worst of the shutz was removed with the air chisel and the electronic scrapper, then the wire brushes on the drill were used to get most of the rest of, then washed down with thinners on rags then sanded then cleaned of with thinners again before the rust eater and etch primer. [^]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

Frustration at an all time high. and interest at an mega lowid="red">id="size4">

Was stripping around the engine bay yesterday and going gently up to the tunnel where the finished paint was. Next thing the chisel slid under the paint, to say the least I wasnt happy. Once i started to peel back that bit the paint came on in strips. For the life of me I cant understand why the top coat didnt take to the stonechip, Never had anything like this happen before.

underneath%20paint%20peeling%20640.JPG

After quite a few hrs work I got about half way down the car apart from the brackets etc which will take a load more time to do.

underneath%20paint%20sheet%20320.JPG

This was one big piece [}:)]

Been trying to phathom out this problem all day and I'm still none the wiser, I have sprayed top coat on stonechip before even the tin says suitable for top coat.

So I NEED HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Either the stonechip needs a primer to stick to it, or it was to cold when I sprayed the underneath, or the 2 pack i used wasnt great stuff, it isnt the normal 2 pack i buy it was cheaper and comes in 2 shades black and white but I checked the axle and its fine so I think it may not be the paint.

Has anyone had a problem like this before ??????

Must say I'm finding it rather hard to get stuck back in at the moment [:(]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

hi robbie you said further up the page that you were going to add a softer to top coat , this may react with the stone chip especailly if stone chip not fully cured as softer may sink into stone chip and act like thinners and start softening/removing stone chip from inside out/under the actual stone chip - some paints that are mixed with a slightly higher thinners content may affect stone chip if it has not fully cured,which may take a little loonger due to cold weather.i have done quite a bit of welding over the last 10 years 9 of which i had my own garage and i have never had this happen.i always prime weld area 1st with weld through zinc primer,weld repair then prime with high build primer then stone chip with i leave for 2 days then top coat.do know if this is of help to you [?],but just thought i drop a line as i have been watching all the hard / good work you have put in so far.cheers shaun[:D]

NEW PROJECT :1974 Manta a series with 350cu-in V8.

AS LONG AS YOU AREN'T LOOKING OUT OF THE BACK WINDOW THEN YOUR HAVING FUN!!!

JEEZ ROBBIE[:0], what the hell happened there? I actually thought of this today and was going to ask you if the stone chip needed to be key'd at all. I think I might stone chip then prime.

The whole things a sin the amount of time you put in, you have my sympathy indeed![:(]

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

I didnt use a softner in the end with the 2 pack was told the stone chip will let the paint flex enough,

It could of been that the stone chip hadnt cured enough with the cold weather, was top coated the next day and the weather wasnt warm when the stonechip was applied.

The stone chip itself is keyed to the car like superglue, under the stonechip after the car was sanded etc it was done with rust eater then etch primer, so that lot is staying there like it should, only the top coat decided to mess me about.

Once I get the car stripped which will take a lot of time doing around the brakets and aquard places still have to start doing the rear arches but the axle and all has to be stripped out again [}:)]. I will redo 2 bits one with primer then top coat and another with top coat only and see what happens

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

It's not simply the car pupating for spring is it Robbie?[;)]

My goodness that must have been soul destroying.[:(][:(]

I do hope you manage to sort it and get back into it again. We're all looking forward to seeing one of your fine machines at Billing.

Cheers,

Joe.

It was close to getting a 14lbs sledge to spring it lol.

Well the info so far is that the odd time paint can do this with stone chip even the best stone chip like the 3M. it does not happen often [:(] never happened to me before in years of this carry on, but the solution is to remove all the paint and prime it first. Got a feeling I will prime any stone chip in future just to be sure. Wanted to take this week of but its will take me the rest of this week to get all the paint of and prob another one to remove the axle and everything again then mask the car of before priming it and painting it. Guess I need to work a bit harder [:(] OOOOOOo this missus wont be happy

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

i was worried about paint not sticking to the stonechip layer on mine, it had an odd sheen on the surface, almost greasy, and i was a bit dubious about it. i did a test area first about 3 days after the stonechip layer and a couple days after that it seemed to be holding fine. its a pain in the a*se waiting for days on end though for paint to dry properly, especially if you cant get on with anything else in the meantime.

i know how you feel though, happened on my old viva on all the areas i had to weld (most of it!), i felt like taking a sledge hammer to that too! that was done in cold weather aswell, a nightmare for any sort of painting. did the manta in the summer luckily and didnt get any problems then, i think the temperature makes so much difference, if i paint in the winter i tend to warm the paint hopper with a heat gun gradually whilst stirring the paint. still all goes wrong though from time to time no matter how much effort you're putting in, makes you wonder why you bother sometimes!

its both character building and soul destroying at the same time, which just leaves you where you were in the first place with a sad story to tell and days behind on your project. it wont matter when you get there though, when its done its done!

cheers, tom

• 2 weeks later...

Yup the rear end is stripped again Gaz, hope all is going well on the family side, bet your getting a few sleepless nights.

Been working at the front of the car along with stripping the rear,

heres an update [:)]

ds%20inner%20wing%20preped%20320.JPG

The drivers side chassis leg took me ages to get done went a few nights without much sleep and all of last Saturday [:(]

ps%20inner%20wing%20preped%20320.JPG

got all the rest of the welding done to the drivers side and the passenger side inner wings sorted and them stripped back along with the front Valance on the inside which need quite a lot of work. they were then done with rusteater and primed then stonechipped, After the stone chip I was taking no chances this time and primered the wings again, this leaves them ready now for the top coats.

crossmember%20parts%20primed%20640.JPG

Over this past 2 weeks the front crossmember was also stripped and any chance at dry weather was used to get the parts sandblasted, the parts are now ready to get the top coats on and then rebuilt afterwards.

Got the paint order this week to spray car above and below along with the paint for the x member, should have that by next weekend and at a cracking price thanks Gunman [:)] [^]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

• 2 weeks later...

Just takes loads and loads of time and frustration [:(] but anything is worth it to keep the tin worm away [:)]

Don,t time just fly was looking at the car pics last night and its now been 2 months from the car was started and its got a long long way to go, [:(]

xmember%20rebuilt%20640.JPG

crossmember has now been rebuilt with loads of copper grease and the uprated front springs which should stiffen up the car well and improve the handling.

Got the inside of the wings mostly stripped at the moment and another night or so should leave them ready to be done with rust eater and primed then 2 packed, hopefully that will save them from rusting for a while [^]

After that its get the front valance on the inside ready to top coat and the inner wings top coated.

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706