Gunman's Project - I've started this Yoke!

gunman

A fantastic job you're doing there Mark. I'm in the middle of the sills on my hatch (I must get off this PC and out there again in a minute in fact) and they are a bit time consuming. They're quite complex behind the 'B' posts as I'm sure you know because they're effectively triple skinned where the roll over bar finishes.

For your front end, I know I keep banging on about these, and they're expensive (£115 delivered this time last year), but Bernd Bannier's wheelarch liners are really superb things if you're serious about keeping the crud out:

http://www.ruhrarea.de/innenkotfluegel/

http://www.ruhrarea.de/innenkotfluegel/eingebaut.html

Thanks for the inspiration. Please keep it up.

Cheers,

Joe.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I cut off the drivers outer sill tonight and to be honest they werent bad. completely holed where you mentioned joe, just behind the B post. My problem now is that my repo sills from charnwood dont actually fit[:(!], and I dont mean a wee bit if grinding or filing to make them fit. Theres about a 1" gap at the bottom[:0]. I would nearly need to refold them. the reason I got new sills was to keep it neat but it looks like I'm gonna find myself doing some panelbeating once again anyway.[:(]

Ah well.

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

That sucks Mark seen sills out a bit before but never that much, I normally tack them on and if they are out a tad use the mallet to stretch them that little bit, helps when they are tacked on to get the desired movement. Hope fully with a little forming they will fit perfectly [^]

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

I did look at this option but the photo i was sent didnt look like outer sills! Looked more like inner.

I am not gonna cut off all the passengers sill either.

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

good luck with this one gunman, it looks pretty extensive... its great to see people doing things properly, real devotion to a Manta, or any classic for that matter, its the only thing thats gonna keep these cars on the road [:)]

1984 GT/E Coupe, 1978 Cavalier, 1972 Firenza. OMOC # 5875

right, spent all day on it any just magaged to get drivers sill finished (well.... will need a bit of work come bodywork time. Cut out the rotten section on passenger side too. its w bit worse but the rest of the sill is mint and after the drivers I'm not cutting out any more panels just for fun![:D]

heres some pics:

this is what was found when I cut the outer sill off. Seems it was causing the rot[:D]. has been repaired in 16g steel but I forgot to take a photo before welding the sill back on[:o)]

DCP_0906.jpg

The sill was cut off just below twhere the sill ext come up to, this way it will cover the welding joint:

DCP_0904.jpg

Heres the new sill fitted. It took a bit of reshaping but fits well now. They have been filled with chemical metal. They do need sanded more but I'll leave that till the bodywork stage (couldnt be bothered gettin the DA out[}:)]!)

DCP_0909.jpg

DCP_0907.jpg

DCP_0908.jpg

Cut the passengers section out, need the same but not cutting the whole sill off, which means I paid £40 for a wee bit of metal the I need to fold to get right anyway![:o)]:

DCP_0911.jpg

It took me a lot longer than I expected to do the sill. Stupidly I thought I'd have the thing done in a couple of evenings, ended up taking 5 evenings and a day!

• 3 weeks later...

Right a wee update.

Both sills are now solid. They will need a wee bit more filling to prep for paint but all welding is now done. Took a while as the double skin was rotten. Heres a pic of the finished article:

DSCF0369.jpg

I had to piece a couple of bits in at the arch as it was rotten on the passengers side too.

Most of my time recently has been spent stripping the back of the inner guards. they were stripped to bare metal, all the rust was sanded out, they were jenolited and then painted in rust primer. (oh and all were seam sealed too)

Passengers side:

DSCF0366.jpg

The front chassis leg:

DSCF0367.jpg

I'm really happy with the way these rails turned out seeing as the state they were in originally!

The drivers sdie presented me with a couple of holes I didnt expect. (I thoughtg all the welding was done)

plated up:

DSCF0344.jpg

driversside :

DSCF0364.jpg

DSCF0365.jpg

Nearly time to spray underneath, dont know how that'll work out![:o)]

All the time and effort you have put in is starting to pay of Mark, nice to know you have a solid shell again, It,s frustrating when all the wee holes keep poping up [:(]

No point having nice shinny paint on a car thats eating away underneath.

lol on the paint you should of been here when that paint started coming of the air was blue with my comments [}:)]

Will let you know in a week or so what the problem was

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

Finally got some help with the manta:

DSCF0372.jpg

turned my back for a few seconds, turned round and the boyo had climbed onto the creeper, put on the ear defenders and started poking the car with a screwdriver shouting 'look daddy i can reach it'

Got the right idea for only being 2 and a half years old! Although heres a tip, dont keep celli thinners in a quality street tin if there's kids about. Nearly gave me heart failure![:0] Problem is he wants out to me but its a wee bit dangerous at his age!

Things were going well, underside of the car completely stripped. I decided not to hammerite the underside but to spray it instead. so half the car underneath now done in etch primer.

DSCF0373.jpg

Then came the bad part! Decided to stone chip the arches, unfortunatley I sprayed a bit too much and it was quite mess. So stripping began again

DSCF0391.jpg

DSCF0390.jpg

a bit heart breaking to wipe out weeks of work but i couldnt leave it in the mess it was in, hopefully I'll get it right next time![:(]

Heck gunman I bet that was a not too nice a job spraying the underside of your trans tunnel area, car doesn't look to be a million miles off of the ground, mind you I'm usually spraying in shorts and T shirt most sensible people "suit up"[:)]

http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

Am I really bidding on a stuffed stoat???? speaking of stuffed stoats....

Spraying it was a nicer job than stripping it! Only added in the concrete blocks just before i sprayed it! when i sprayed it i was able to sit under the egnine bay and spray back the ways.

If it wasnt for the 'stone chip' incident I would be nearly ready to top coat underneath[xx(]

OMG of course it would have been, never really had my thinking head on when making that post.

I tell you what always amazes me when working under a car Gunman....

You can be cleaning something at arms length which is what,? approx 24" unless you are built like a Gorilla, and yet as you are cleaning away or losening a rusty bolt or whatever, a bit of something will fall off, travel 24" towards your face totally defying the laws of physics and land in your eye.

It wouldn't be so bad but a few seconds before hand you say to yourself...... "Nah shouldn't need my safety glasses for this little bit, it won't take a mo." usually followed, by "AAgh me eye, Bollucs just knew that was going to happen"

Back on topic, that really does look to be a hell of a job you are doing there, very envious that none of my cars look like that underneath, but to be honest I don't think I could ever face the task, and I'm a big fan of slapping all sorts of stuff underneath just to keep the weather off.

http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

Am I really bidding on a stuffed stoat???? speaking of stuffed stoats....

Car is coming along well Mark, felt for you when I saw all that work coming of,at the rate you are going the car will be sorted underneath in no time, A bit of a flag may be better on top of the block as blocks can sometimes split and crumble with the end of the axle stands. [:(]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

I had thought of that robbie, but theres next to no wait in the shell at the moment and it'll be back on the ground before any running gear goes back in. I'm hoping to be back to the stage i was at by the end of the weekend. I got the paint today, seriously cheap. the reason why concerns me tho. The sales rep says they're selling off the 2 pack as legislation says they cant sell it anymore as of next year! All bodyshops will have to spray with waterbourne paint and laquer with stuff that needs bakes, thus meaning no home spray jobs and the end of the small spraying business! This would mean you will have to go to a large company who will price hike something rotten.

Just thinking, I'll start a new thread in another section about this!

May I be permitted a wry smile that you're not satisfied with the finish in your front wheelarches. Now that's REAL dedication (and in my case would be another good reason for fitting liners!)

I'll eventually post some pictures of my bits of bodywork "repair" on my hatch. By gum it's rubbish. Hopefully it'll go so fast no one will be able to see how awful it looks (ho ho....)

Cheers,

Joe.

Joe: You do seem to love your arch liners[:D].

Right, I've lost about 5 days due to the stonechip incident![:(]. I have stripped both front arches back to bare metal (well, almost) and now have them etch primed and seam sealed.

DSCF0393.jpg

DSCF0394.jpg

Ready to stonechip again. I have after much thought and brain picking of Robbie, come to the conclusion that there's something very wrong with my shutz gun! Apparently it shouldn't empty a can in 30 secs[:D]. I have found another solution. I can spray it from a paraffin gun. Its a lot more controlable and gives a much finer finish, just takes a while longer.

The back of the car underneath isnt as perfect as i would like but my heart just wouldnt take stripping it again. Its a hell of a feeling to look at something that has taken 2 months to prepare and think that you've just spoiled it. Although as I've been told, I am being way too fussy!

Hi dan, you can get the nitromors from any diy store, halfords do an automotive nitromors but I just used the std stuff, it burns like hell if you get it in your skin (which you will) but you just have to not worry[:D]

Right, the car is sprayed[8D],(underneath [:(]). Its now had jenolite, a coat of rust primer, etch primer (in places), 2 coats of stone chip (1 very heavy coat in a few places, but we dont talk about that anymore![:D]. you can see in the pic under the boot) a coat of 2 pack primer and 3 coats of 2 pack red.

Not easy in a single garage lying on your back with the car just on axle stands. Its not perfect but it looks great! Heres some pics

DSCF0441.jpg

DSCF0440.jpg

DSCF0438.jpg

I'm happy enough as its my first attempt at spraying anything and I think I did OK.

The back axle is gettin stripped now too. Cant get it cleaned as well as the floor of the car and dont have a sandblaster, so will be doing it with lowe rost. Its good stuff! then priming and top coating with 2 pack black. Oh and Poly bushing the whole lot while I'm at it.

DSCF0442.jpg

Note the poor washing machine and tumble[:0][:(][xx(]

Its geting there, although slowly. I can't spend as much time as some (robbie[:D][:D][:D]) on the car but don't mind if its not on the road this year. Will keep you all posted!

Thats a really cracking job Mark, To do a car to that standard underneath in a single garage is fantastic. The first attempt at spraying looks 100%.

How the missus aint killed you yet for redecorating the appliances I just dont know you must have some magic trick lol. I think Judith may want a new worktop when u finish the car [:)]

As for time on mine the last 10 weeks have been nuts but thats coming to an end now as I,m getting backed up with other work, just want to get the car to a rolling shell agin so it isnt blocking up the pit in the workshop. Then back to normal and get a few bits done on the V8. Hopefully both will be done for next year (late) [:)]

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706