Gunman's Project - I've started this Yoke!

gunman

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The really sad thing is I gave three decent four slot nose cones away to a non-member last year as no-one else seemed to want them at the time.

Cheers,

Joe.

Made it Ma, top of the world.

good stuff robbie. I'll have top see when I can get back down. Hmm.. I'll be in touch.

I did get a 'decent' second hand nose cone locally but when I started stripping it i found that it was fairly rusty just covered by 3 layers of paint. You saw some of it robbie. I didnt want to weld in half rotten metal so I began to make new!

sad thing is when i bought the car it was described as immaculate! Your @rse!

Just to qualify 'decent', one of them had been completely stripped of paint (and what a job it was doing that, awful, they're SO complex) and was virtually rust free. The other two were certainly not that bad either.

I still have a two slot nosecone left but I want to hang onto that for the moment. That one does need work though.

The main problem is the things are so big and awkward to store.

Cheers,

Joe.

And I wasn't implying that you were, so to speak! No apology necessary. I just wish you'd needed it when I had it.

Cheers,

Joe.

Joe, know what you mean about storage,garage,trailor,shed&loft full with parts moving now into the wifes greenhouse. [:)]

Stuart,your parts will sell nae problem on E-Bay the worlds full of idiots did you you not see the `Sprout` for sale.

Scottish Rep /OMOC

Mem.2094

Opel Team Scotland.

`ScottishClanManta`

• 2 weeks later...

Not much else to report for time being, progress is slow. I have now repaired the front panel. Just need to weld the nosecone back on now which means a complete rebuild of bonnet and gaurds to make sure they're all lined up properly. Heres some photos:

DCP_0890.jpg

DCP_0885.jpg

DCP_0889.jpg

I didnt remove all of the headlight surround on the passengers side, it was nowhere near as bad as the drivers and I had concerns over the light positions. Still its all solid now. Takes ages doing it right, could have bodged it in a tenth of the time. Have mon and tues off work and my brother is calling up for 2 days to help. was hoping to get all the welding completed but I've found more. Needs a couple of plates on the chassis and the panel under the water bottle turned out to be dozey so I cut out the most of it.

Suppose I'll find more when I start stipping it underneath. I had a moment of frustration today and felt like abandoning the project... It soon passed, just seems like I'm getting nowhere!

Keep up the good work Mark, they do tend to drive us nuts, we think we have mint cars cause they look good, but once you start proding about you soon find out whats really there.

On the bright side , fix it now and you have a good car, left alone car would be bad in a couple of years [:(]

http://www.mantamagic.com

OMOC N,Ireland Rep

id="blue">

V8banner.jpg

OMOC 5706

Horrible feeling when you think like you are getting nowhere, especially having spent ages doing loads of work, easy to lose interest I got to this point time and time again on my V8, but what kept me going was the image in my head of the finished item.

And when everything such as cleangloss jet black shiny body panels were going on covering up all the hard work and the mental image started taking physical shape, then wow, it pays off to not lose interest.

V8 'B' series Manta coupe.

SEH 'B' series Manta Coupe.

CIH 'B' series Manta heatch (daily drive) soon to be turbo'd.

http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

Any day now.

Right, been a bid of progress. Front grill is back on (well Tacked on[:D]) had to build the bonnet and guards back on first. It was all this fiddling about that gave me the 'no progress' feeling in my last post! I have ordered a pair of new healights (square type) and I just hope they'll fit in the sections I made up[:I]! have lined up with the old ones and may need fettling!

Still need to weld the 2 holes in the sills, could really do with repair sections for the bottom of the quaters for this, I missed a pair on ebay just before xmas. Wasn't sure they were 100% rigt so left them DOH!

Got a bit sick of welding so started to strip the car underneath today. I did the back of one inner guard back to bare metal and the underside of the boot. Didnt do it right back to bare metal tho! Heres the plan (it works):

1) heat up the underseal with a 2kw heat gun.

2) scrape the top layer of underseal with a wood chisel! Your left with these wee bits of dark grey rubber but I'll come to that!

3) rub down the area with coarse steel wool and celli thinners! This removes any traces old underseal or top paint left!

4) Your now left with the bottom coat of primer. This stuff is hard as nails! rub down with 100g sandpaper till all is smooth!

I was removing it by applying Nitromors (by the way did you notice the Blitz logo on the tin? Its obviuosly designed for mantas[;)]) and then taking to it with the angle grinder and a cup brush. This takes balls as you get hit up the face with burning chemical stuff! I have since ordered a full face visor! If you want back to bare metal I havent found a better (quicker) way mind!

It was good to get to do something other than welding and the underside does seem to be in good condition. Will jenolite, red oxide and hammerite till rust is a distant memory![8D]

May post some pics tomorrow, I'm far to tired to go back out to the garage tonight![|)]

• 4 weeks later...

Right after some advice now. Just recieved my new sills today and am unsure how much to replace. The thing is most of the N/S sill looks 100%. theres just a hole near the jacking point. O/S similar but there is a patch of scabby rust under the door. I dont know if i would be as well fitting the entire outer sill. I'm worried about ruining the look of the sill in the door openning. I had thought of cutting it just below the top of the sill ext so as to hide any join! Would this weaken the car any? Also on the N/S would I be as well just replacing the back section?

Then I start thinking if the whole thing is renewed and pumped with waxoyl it will last for years. If you're reading this robbie you'll know the way I think![:D]

Heres some photos:

hole at jacking point

DCP_0896.jpg

Scab on sill

DCP_0898.jpg

door entrance

DCP_0899.jpg

Bloody hell gunman, sills now,[:0] what next?

I know what you mean about the split though, the original sills stopped short and the quarter panel took over, if I can remember correct I think its approx 17 and 1/4" that the sill runs on the quarter panel if you get my drift. I ve never had one rot at the front of this point yet touch wood

http://www.customsolutions.me.uk

Doing a great job there, fill it all with wax and it'll last longer than Opel ever intended it to...keep at it, its worth it....

Mick

OMOC 5924

middle_lane_shot.jpg

1980 Black Berlinetta Coupe, 2.0 SRI Project

1984 Silver GT/E Coupe, Road Rally Car

1980 Cavalier 1600 GL, Slammed Retro Cruiser

Right, thought I'd better post a few pics in case anyone thinks I've given up on the job.[:D]

I've spent most of my time stripping the car underneath back to bare metal (well not in some places, just back to primer) I did try painting in red oxide but it went a bit wrong! it all went shiney and you could scrape it off with your nail[:(]. So I now am painting in durabond rust primer and it seems a better job.

Anyway heres some pics:

Boot floor, stripped, sanded, jenolite'd and primed (note no welding needed):

DCP_0900.jpg

Mid section, stripped, sanded, jenolite'd and primed (again no welding needed here):

DCP_0901.jpg

front section, stipped and not much else (wee bit of welding required to chassis rail, just behind jacking point):

DCP_0903.jpg

Rear arch, stipped (well...Almost):

DCP_0902.jpg

Still a bit of stripping to do but the worst is over and I need a new visor as the nitromors has melted it a bit[:D]. Both sill to replace as well. I am beginning to think that the car wont be at billing tho[:(], but we'll see.

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way

How are you stripping the paint/underseal off? It looks great! I've got my SRB ready to go up on its side to start stripping the underseal off [xx(]

79 SRB coupe - anyone know what a B230FT is?, 79 Cav saloon - 16v sleeper, 198? GT/E hatch - building from a bare shell to factory spec

I use a heat gun and wood chisels to remove the top section of underseal. then nitromors. this then gets removed with an angle grinder and cup brush. An air die grinder also proves to be an exceptional tool with a wire brush head on it, it gets in places where the grinder just wont reach. I wear ear defenders/full mask/gloves and overalls but you still get stung.

You can use steel wool and celli thinners to remove the last of the underseal and just leave the original primer but its slow!

I prefered going back to bare metal, it shows any wee spots of rust and you can deal with them.

I can no longer remember what its like to have skin on my knuckles and no burn marks on my neck, but I keep telling myself it'll be worth it![}:)]

If what I say can be taken in 2 ways and one of those ways get you angry....I meant it the other way