Gunman's Project - I've started this Yoke!

gunman

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not right trough yet. I tried my best to bust a screwdriver through but cant. I take it these are double layered? It's easy enough to patch but how long before its back?[:(]

Slow auld process repairing these rails, spent 2 hours cutting the old ones (from scrap car) out and cutting them up for templates! Got one panel ready to weld in now on the other side.

May wait to see if clive can perform some magic and reproduce these chassis legs![8D]

I don't think there's any 'if' about it knowing Clive. And on his past performance, they'll be as good as you could ever wish for when he gets into production too.[8D]

Cheers,

Joe.

Did you notice when you began to disappear?

• 2 weeks later...

Right, I'm a bit happier now. Both chassis legs are repaired. Front crossmember also repaired (wasnt anything rwrong with it except the idiot who welded the legs before) Took an age and a half but anyways. that means I've probs got 70% of the welding done.

DCP_0874.jpg

DCP_0877.jpg

DCP_0876.jpg

DCP_0878.jpg

Plumster, I'll get some pics of my Coupe with the entire side missing just to prove we are all loonies...[:P]

Doing a good job there Gunman...good to see someone doing a decent repair rather than the 'Bodgit & Scarper' approach.

Mick

OMOC 5924

manta2.gif

1980 Black Berlinetta Coupe, 2.0 SRI Project

1985 White GT/E Coupe, Standard

1984 Silver GT/E Coupe, Rebuilding as a Road Rally Car

1984 Red GTE Hatch Turbo, Rotten as owt

didnt remove that neatly! took 3 evenings work to repair it, it got cut out with an air chisel. If you look at the pic of it on the bench you can see where I welded peices flush into the top at both ends. then had to make 3 peices to inset inside the crossmember. drilled 5 holes for each through the side of the crossmeber for welding spots back in. Gettin the angles on the brackets was difficult. It meant a couple of dry fits. happy enough now!

.cross.jpg

Gunman, when you have done a practice run on yours you will be fully qualified to come & do mine[;)]

That is when it comes back from the vets of course, should be back in my own garage end Jan / early Feb, so no rush.

I did do both sides a few years ago & then coated them in some sort of spray on black oil like stuff. I can't remember what it was though.

I have to say the quality of the work on that car is pretty spectacular considering what you started with.

You are a Manta Hero.

Perhaps we should have a section for Manta Heros, those guys who have salvaged the unsalvageable.

I do wash & polish mine a lot if that helps[^]

minicav.jpg

That's not grey, I'm a natural blonde.

I wouldnt want to decribe the car as unsalvageable. The shell is generally excellent, no rot in the floor at all. Just the freak rot in the front of the legs! Now the chassis is done I think the rest of the weling will be 'wee buns'.[8D]

Christmas really gonna get in the way but i do have a 2 yr old son so he comes first!

Thanks guys for all your praising comments[:I]

Gunman,people like yourself and all others who do this work to save oor beloved Mantas, I am sure gives great inspiration to those starting in Manta ownership or to those who feel `I cannot do that repair`

Many Manta folk`s have been down the same road as shown in your pics myself included with i200,I must admit your pics have brought back some good memories working away in garage trying to get my i200 rebuilt, it is just great to see all like minded folks working away saving the GREAT OPEL MANTA.[:D]

Scottish Rep /OMOC

Mem.2094

Opel Team Scotland.

`ScottishClanManta`

Cheers Rab, tell you what, when I'm finished I'll swap her for your i200[:P]. You can take the gte home to scotland and I'll find a great home for the i200 in northern ireland![8D]

i200 possibly my fav manta, next best thing would be a white gte coupe!

I'm going to do a very similar job very soon repairing the silver GTE after the crash. The drivers chassis leg has been folded and the front section destroyed. Going to chop the front end off the red one and graft it onto the silver one...

They wanted us brits to be the first to do a full face transplant...well I'm gonna do it..[:D] That was what the meant wasnt it..[;)]

Mick

OMOC 5924

manta2.gif

Just a thought! As the club keeps info on all Mantas within,this would make a good article for MM on all work carried out by members.

Small pic showing finnished article and details to work done,doing something doon the same lines for myself,robbing a few great pics from here and work ongoing,to what Mantas are being sold on E-BAY QUITE SCARY ACTUALLY THE NUMBERS GOING THROUGH THE NET so just a thought.

Mick good luck with the face lift, nae bowtox? needed I hope.

Scottish Rep /OMOC

Mem.2094

Opel Team Scotland.

`ScottishClanManta`

• 2 weeks later...

God but these cars ROT!

Since chassis legs and crossmember have been repaired I have turned my attentions to the front p[anel. To be honest the car really could have done with a new one but €699 (see I remembered it robbie)from Dr manta isnt just possible in my current financial climate!

I have removed the 4 slot grill only to find horrors! rount the drivers side headlight was completely rotten The passengers is also rotten but a lot more saveable!

entire drivers side section had to be cut away and re-manufactured. Not an easy job. I just hope the headlights fit. I reckon theres gonna be a lot of grinding and filing yet. (and probably a few swear words!)

DSCF0272.jpg

DSCF0275.jpg

DSCF0278.jpg

Drivers side completely rotten!

DSCF0273.jpg

Panel drilled out!

DSCF0284.jpg

Template made, cut out and shaped from16g steel

DSCF0281.jpg

Welded in place

DSCF0285.jpg

Still a lot of work to to on this side. Progress can be slow even though I am spending time in the garage!

Well done. like I said before, good to see someone taking time to do it right....

Will be a good car when its all done...didnt look bad before!!

Mick

OMOC 5924

motorway_sign.gif

1980 Cavalier 1600 GL, no idea yet...

Wow, that seems soooooooooo much work.

Brave man, or complete looney [:D]

Bad thought here, but if you put your hourly rate at a reasonable £20.00 per hour I think you may clock up a bit more than the cost of a new front end [:0].

However, I can understand how much fun you are having.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to viewing at Billing & commissioning you to do any work that mine needs.

minicav.jpg

That's not grey, I'm a natural blonde.