Gunman's Project - I've started this Yoke!

gunman

Tonight I began the fist of what I thought was 'preservation' of my manta.

DCP_0820.jpg

As always I found more tin worm than expected

The worst is the front of the chassis rails and front panel. The near side being the worst.

DCP_0815.jpg

Anyone got a scrapper with good rails? Who am I kidding[:D][:D][:D]

The gaurds and inner gaurds are fine.

Engine and gearbox to come out at the weekend.

What have I done[:0]?

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the rest of the car looks good. But I did find some rot on the N/S chassis leg at the mounting point[:(]

Should be able to weld a patch tho. I take it ther's something solid in the leg at this point as I cant actually push a screwdriver through.

Took teh N/S wing off after the photo's, nothing to worry about here, the gaurd and inner gaurd is 100%. Just needs some rust eater (ordered 1l of jenolite) and paint.

Around the headlights needs attention too.

I just went to a garage that had a dismantled manta outside a few months ago, there is another one now, a silver gte coupe. Chassis legs are bad as well tho[:(].

Still the guy said that the owner broke a few mantas and had a load of parts. [:)] Here's hoping!

front panel not in bad order, some scale rust. has cross member and first 6 inches of rails att'd...£40. Not bad but dont know it it will be any use.

I will need closer to the first 2 feet of the rails to make a good job. they have been welded before but have rotted through again.

The ones on the car i looked at are a lot better but will need some patches. Still an option.

progressing:

DCP_0834.jpg

either need to weld a load of patches or a front panel. someone has already replaced the lower section of the panel.

Robbie: got a mail from paul, but he hasn't got any rails[:(]. Thanks anyway. I may have to make some. the front panel i can get has the very front anyway.

I've now been offered this silver coupe shell. Still has front suspension etc. although it would have to go in the driveway and I dont think the wife would be too happy. Wouldnt mind buts its far too cold to live in a tent![:D]

PS: it was a non sunroof with a good roof but some idiot has lifted it by the roof[:(].

Robbie: dont think many scrappies around here would have a mk 1 cav. Got the front pannel yesterday, also asked if I could take the section of rails from the scrapper gte. The guy came out with an air chisel and whacked the first 2 feet of the car off for me. I had a go myself and it was excellent fun. Rails are quite bad but at least I can see what shape they are meant to be.

Got most of the front of the car stripped now. need to remove the front panel. It seems a lot of replacement for little rot there in the first place but its the easiest solution. Looks like I will have to remove the 4 slot grill to be able to rust proof tho! anybody else done this?

Heres a couple more pics for anyone who's interested:

DCP_0839.jpg

DCP_0844.jpg

DCP_0846.jpg

Out of interest what year is your car?.

Just a little advice for you, if you can graft new parts to replace rotten items you will keep the strength in the car, example don't remove your front panel if the main panel is good enough you can repair it.

Must admit not seen the front of a chassis that bad before though. At least it's accessible.

Difficult to tell off the pics but it looks in pretty good shape.

I'd guess at an 85 B reg looking at it...

Big job there, just do one bit at a time and dont cut too much off at once or as Ian says it'll lose its strength and shape.

Mick

OMOC 5924

manta2.gif

1980 Black Berlinetta Coupe 2.0 SRI Project

1985 White GT/E

1986 1.8 Hatch spares (see classifieds)

It's an 84 B reg! not a bad quess tho!

It is in very good shape apart fron at the front, the rear arches are almost blemish free, the boot floo is like new, the floor pan is 100%. Just the front end and a couple of small plates on the sills, car has done 57k miles and drives (well did drive) like new.

To be honest I expected to find a lot worse when i took the gaurds off but all I found was this:

innergaurd.jpg

I intend to drop the back axle out as well and strip the car underneath, treat with jenolite, prime with 'low rost (yes rost)' primer and hamerite!

As I said I want to preserve this car!

Ian, I'm not sure I understand your advice! Do you mean to try to repair the panel rather than replace. I had thought of cutting/drilling sections off the good panel to repair this one. at the very least I will have to remove the 4 slot just to get access to the front panel for welding.

I must admit to being concerned about strength as the front crossmember will have to come off during chassis repairs. The front panel will be off too (not at the same time tho!)

If your front panel is generally good then try to keep it original and repair the affected areas.

I would plate the chassis too, as long as you take time to graft your plates in nice you'll hardly notice it.

That little area under the washer bottle could be tricky. Bit of a bad place there. Stuarts went from a 50mm sqaure hole to around 100mm by 150mm and holes in the pedal box. If you look under the dash you'll see where the condensation sits/hangs, this is a common Manta problem. Suggest you brush primer it and hammerite over ot to protect it for the future. Check under the battery tray too.

Been there bought the tee shirt and the video!!!. Good luck.

You call that a hole???[:D]

DSCI0489.jpg

Thats a hole!!![:D]

Its not an easy place to repair properly, it overlaps, curves, is stepped and is generally a pain to do neatly. I managed but its not as good as it should be.

Mick

OMOC 5924

manta2.gif

1980 Black Berlinetta Coupe 2.0 SRI Project

1985 White GT/E

1986 1.8 Hatch spares (see classifieds)

Ian: the battery tray looks like it did the day it left the factory! I really dont think there is much to worry about at the washer bottle either. The problem with the rails is that they have been plated already and over the top of the rotten panels. It has eaten through again and to be honest it's an awful mess[:(]. I was planning on drilling the spotwelds and welding in the lower section only.

Mick: That looks as bad as the rotten gte coupe I cut the front end off yesterday[:D]. You didnt need the doors to open, you could crawl in through the floor!

heres an update for anyone who's interested (if that nobody at least its gining me something to do[:D])

Interior is now stipped, as is the back axle. The front sections I got from the silver gte have been cut into bits and I am using them as templates to cut ne sections out of steel. The plan is to weld them together to form chassis!

DCP_0858.jpg

DCP_0860.jpg

Notice the state of the washing machine and tumble dryer? I seem to have a very understanding wife![8D]

Can you get a section of chassis rail out of the casing of a washing machine and it still work? That's most impressive....

Cheers,

Joe.

Did you notice when you began to disappear?

Another update:

one chassis leg fixed![:D][:D][:D]. And it only took a week[:(]!

I was at the final peice of metal today for 5 hours with the hammer and dolly and blowlamp.

here's the evidence:

DCP_0866.jpg

DCP_0869.jpg

DCP_0870.jpg

DCP_0871.jpg

Still have to dress the welds, but I'm happy I was able to shick to the original shape.

It feels much better now I've actually accomplished something

looking good under there, just dont forget to fill it with Waxoyl after or it'll be gone just as quick...

Good Job on it, well done. [8D]

Mick

OMOC 5924

manta2.gif

1980 Black Berlinetta Coupe, 2.0 SRI Project

1985 White GT/E Coupe, Standard

1984 Silver GT/E Coupe, Rebuilding as a Road Rally Car