Drivers seat repair

IanMc

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might be able to save this? Its a real shame because the other seats are actually in pretty good condition.

pPpKVFa.jpg

I guess the material is probably going to be next to impossible to find now?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can give.

Even if you could get the original material to do this I would have thought the others will be bleached by sunlight so depending what you're aiming for (full or partial restoration) it's either car seat cover set or recover all the seats.

Im removing material from a similar seat, honey combe pattern from a 81 2.0 manta b gtj. Gonna use material, strip it, wash it, dry it, dye it black to recover recaro seats, restoration, with a twist. 

Hard to beat a manta with recaros😍

As said most will be sunbleached now, especially red, most asconas or cavaliers had that red, as said you could find one passanger seat, use it, or recover it, can you live with a tilt up leaver on inside, or get an upholstery guy to sort it. 

If you find a good back seat, you could use material to recover inners in recaros

1987%20Opel%20Manta%20Gsi%20Exclusieve%20(0000911-12).JPG

Yes to the above. Passenger seats have less chance of being torn and the cover is identical on the base and can be swapped over pretty easily..

for the backrest it will only swap covers if its from a 4 door saloon .otherwise you will have the tilt lever hole in the wrong place.!.

last option is the cloth from a back seat and use it to repair your existing seat cloth.any trimmer should be able to do this relatively cheaply. 

The red velour type was found in a few models post 78 so Hopefully someone will have something in their loft ? Sorry ian i dont. Only spare black and beige. 

Maybe looking for a seat on our site of the sea, our passenger-seats are your driver-seats... And as all passenger seats 

they are not worn. Just an idee, finding one is something else. And shipping it to GB...

Can always look around.

• Like 2

Forget trying to source the same seat material, I worked for Wardle Storey in the mid 90s, we supplied the auto industry with plastics, Vauxhall being one of our customers.

Using contacts at Vauxhall trim dept, they tried in vain to get details of the cloth & original suppliers, I eventually gave up & had a pair of Recaros trimmed in leather with rusty red colour hide chosen to match as nicely as I thought. I do still have my old front seats in storage in the attic somewhere, they were in much better nick than yours, I stress they were when I put them away. Don't know what time will have done for them.

1 hour ago, plumster said:

Forget trying to source the same seat material, I worked for Wardle Storey in the mid 90s, we supplied the auto industry with plastics, Vauxhall being one of our customers.

Using contacts at Vauxhall trim dept, they tried in vain to get details of the cloth & original suppliers, I eventually gave up & had a pair of Recaros trimmed in leather with rusty red colour hide chosen to match as nicely as I thought. I do still have my old front seats in storage in the attic somewhere, they were in much better nick than yours, I stress they were when I put them away. Don't know what time will have done for them.

Sounds like you exhausted all avenues in your attempts, fair play to you.

Well if you find yourself in the attic and stumble across them, feel free to take a photo or two  :D

If I remember the Cav had different material to the Mantas, so if you want an exact match you'll need to find a Cav seat. The set that are for sale from Kev Abbott are from a later Manta 1800 Coupe I believe so won't be the same material and the back seat won't fit the hatch.

Edited by 1900SR
typo
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

A small update on this thread.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that my chances of finding a replacement cover or a complete seat are slim - especially as it is for a Cav.

After racking my brain for an idea, I recalled the Wife ordering some material swatches years ago to try to make some cushions match a set of older curtains. She was successful, well it was so close unless you knew, you would never tell the difference anyway.

So... I have ordered some material swatches from an Ebay upholsterer in an effort to get something that might be usable, at least while my search goes on if nothing else. My Sister-in-Law is pretty useful with a sewing machine and she owes me a favour (or ten) for fixing her car several times over the years   :lol:  :thumbup

Fingers crossed.

I’m keeping my eye out too for you. Something will eventually turn up on ebay .it always does. 

Il go have a look again now !!,

For example but don’t get your hopes up . 

Ebay 

red ribbed velour cushion covers 

Or 

google

red ribbed velour cushion covers 

maybee a call round some cloth suppliers etc/ sofa trimmers etc may 

yield suitable material for someone to sew in ?

also may be worth a message to the viva owners club ( viva gls/ magnum )

vx / victor / vx gls 

or maybee autobahnstormers re carlton mk1 similar ish material .

• Like 1