Grabbing brakes

twigsr2.0

Hello again 

Seems I have another issue with my Manta A. 

It drives well enough but when it comes to braking the wheels seem to lock up! 😯

Braking very slowly is fine, but say coming to a T junction or island & you brake normally, the brakes seems to lock making quite a bang & juddering. 😦

The car passed an MOT last month with no issues. 

Any idea's? (discs, pads, master cylinder?) 🤔

Please help.

Try coming up to a stop and just pulling the handbrake to see if it’s the rear wheels.

when mine did this it was the rear shoe bonded lining lifting due to rust creeping under it. 

Otherwise if you think it’s the front check for abnormally loose pads in caliper,loose caliper itself ,shims wrong way round or again loose friction lining ?

cant realy see it being master cyl or servo but eliminate wheel end first.

Sorry for the late reply, been really busy. Family birthdays & work.

I tried the handbrake test & it did lock the brakes! So I need to take the rear drums off. I will try & get out to the Manta this week & let you know what I find.

Check the linings arnt lifting, also make sure the springs are good especially the bottom one.

also make sure the ‘pull lever’ isn’t jumping behind the edge of the shoe and jamming.thats rare but can happen if the linings are worn or the arm is bent wrong to start with. 

One final thing to try .although not on a public road is to clamp off the rear hose and drive the car to see if the problem is not the front brakes and vice versa for the front hoses.

funny thing is .....I was just thinking last night about your problem !  

Hello again

I appreciate all the tips that your throwing my way. Thank you.

I managed to get an hour in the garage earlier today. I removed the brake drums off & took a look.

The brake cylinders look a bit ancient & but the brake shoes seem to be pretty good with plenty of meat left on them.

I'm thinking of replacing the brake shoes, cylinders, springs etc with brand new ones.

Haven't got round to look at the front brakes yet.

I've attached some pics to see what you think?

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.