Under bonnet sound insulation

IanMc

Hi Ian probably not needed realy as the bulkhead insulation does quite a good job but I would imagine something could be found that would fit dimension wise.a trip round a scrappies with a measure might reveal something  suitable.  It will obviously make SOME difference but wether it’s noticeable or not ?.it might make it quieter with oil filled engine mounts ?     I did rubber bush the gearbox mounting crossmember and thought it seemed a bit quieter ?

theres always the stick on stuff someone may have some recommendations.

I

• 4 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I wouldn't bother at all. When I bought my GTE it was covered with sound proof material (under bonnet, inner wings, boot) everywhere.

It made no real difference and it looked terrible. Took an age to get off before a respray.

Completely unnecessary in my opinion with a standard engine.

• 6 months later...

Very late to the party on this one, but I did it on my Manta rebuild a few years ago and it's survived the heat and does make a difference (especially the injector clack clack, and damps the noise the electric fan makes). Doesn't look bad (to my eyes) either. I wrote up the rebuild on the forum so you can see how I did it if you want to. This link will take you to page 2 of the write-up and it starts about 7 posts down from there.

Cheers,
Nick

• Like 1

also in addition to and probably more effective even is to make sure there are no holes from the bulkhead into the car .missing grommets or gaps inside grommets etc. places to check are the speedo cable grommet,around throttle and kickdown cables and under the servo.any small gaps where there shouldnt be can let a suprising amount of noise through.

also gearlever boot. lower steering column boot ,even handbrake cable boot can let little bits of noise through

another usefull addition that you can add is the weatherstrip accross the rear flange of the bonnet landing area. later mantas have this whereas cavs never did.

i like my cars to be as quiet as possible so ive added one to mine,also some foam under the gearlever boot and rubber bushed the gearbox mount. also plastic sheeted behind the kickpanels like the doortrims 

theyre all little additions which dont make much difference in theory but added up can only help.they cant make it noisier !

It's really has two purposes to deaden sound and keep the heat off the bonnet especially from the exhaust manifold I have a land rover D1 and a MK3 golf both have missing liners and both have damaged paint work in this area on the outside surface.

Good point, that was also a consideration for me. I've got the manifold coated inside and out by Jet Hot, and have a heatshield between the two manifolds, but it still gets very hot in there.

Edited by CalCol
Better link