Full Restoration + 400r Build 83 Coupe.

bris jas

Ok so here i go again! Picked up this car just after i bought my last project D91 MOP, it was sat at a local garage that i drive by most days but was under a tarp so never realised what it was until we had a windy day.

Long story short checked it out as front end only showing, turned out to be a 1983 berlinetta 1.8 coupe. Did the deal there and then and took it away the following day, its been in storage while i was doing the other Manta but now its time to start the next build!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

It has a full set of berlinetta wheels but 3 flat tyres so i put on some alloys to get it moving.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Not sure why but i tend to like the rusty ones, this one also has rear end damage

Got the engine running from a petrol can but sounded ok

Interior, well most of it is there but seats are damaged/worn and most trim has marks also dash has couple of sun cracks in the middle

Ok first thing was to get the car in the garage and strip it completely down, i can then see the main rust issues and start to collect replacement parts/panels etc

The plans i have for the car are still in the planning stage, but i've always wanted to do a 400 replica. First things first must get the shell solid but as a little taster i picked up my 400 kit from Martin this week and couldn't resist just hanging it on.

Edited by bris jas
  • Like 8

I've seen your build Peter, liked the way you fitted the rear axle. I might be interested in the dash, i'm after complete top and bottom in black if poss as mine is brown.

Rob, i went upto Martins on Monday, real nice guy with lots of pic's from the olden days in Germany, lucky with the kit as he had 2 for a chap from Ireland but the guy can't come over until Jan now, so time to make another i guess, thanks again for help in contacting him👍

Wooh, you done all that in a day :P

And is that a jamacian mk1 roof skin.....  i see, B)

As its being a 400r and to your spec, is there anything you favour most, colour..... white, door strips, in usual colours or something special, or full rothmans rally colours?  Maybe running gear is your thing, full monaro running to a jag axle, or a fully rebuilt, no expensive spared, bells and whistles 1.8 ohv. 

Thanks for the comments guys.

Evo well spotted with the yellow roof skin. Makes life a bit easier Ian with a slightly larger garage, harest part is trying to keep it clear.

So as the car had a rusty sunroof and i don't want one anyway i cut off the roof skin and fitted a non sunroof skin, i had an old roof (thanks Paul b) lying around so went about cutting the skin off, the complete rear of the skin had rust so i cut off the hole rear flange which would spot weld across the back under the rear screen. Bit of a gamble as repairing and welding this part could cause the roof to distort.

So cut it off, as there was no cross support i welded a steel box section between the door aperatures just in case there was any movement, treated all areas to a good coat of Hydrate 80

Then went about measuring and double checking every section before i layed the new roof skin on ready for welding.

Roof fitted a treat, you can see the weld line to the rear, took a time over this and worth the effort as roof is smooth with no distortion.

Next was to fit the 2 cross supports, they needed a bit of fabrication but all fitted and looking good

I did the roof first before it goes up onto the spit, just helps to keep the load correct on the car so no potential movement of the shell.

Before i put it on the spit i have to make the rear panel good and strong, Danny it come out ok but the bottom came away from the floor as rather rusty down there, as i can't source a repair section i'll go about making my own

I have a spare wheel well on order as this has gone past the point of repair.

Before i cut the section out i made sure the lights and boot fit so i know its just the lower section that needs sorting. (no boot sealed fitted in this picture)

Hopefully i'll get a chance to sort this in the week and get it up on the spit.

• Like 6

On 07/12/2018 at 20:42, ®evo03 said:

Wooh, you done all that in a day :P

And is that a jamacian mk1 roof skin.....  i see, B)

As its being a 400r and to your spec, is there anything you favour most, colour..... white, door strips, in usual colours or something special, or full rothmans rally colours?  Maybe running gear is your thing, full monaro running to a jag axle, or a fully rebuilt, no expensive spared, bells and whistles 1.8 ohv. 

As far as spec goes on this build i'm still deciding on a couple of things but the rear axle will be from a Volvo 240, i will have the stud pattern on the front hubs changed to match the axle, will look good as the axle has a 5 stud pattern.

400 bodykit but i don't intend on following the colours or stripes from the genuine cars, i have a couple of colours in mind but keeping under my hat for the time being.

Engine wise probably looking at a 2.0 let engine and poss using the 1.8 box i have, as don't really intend on going over 300 bhp (but who nose). I also have the sump, mounts etc from the 1.8 engine. Although always fancied a ls3 supercharged!🤪

Blitz interior and custom wheels.

Bad day yesterday as travelled 150 miles to pick up the axle, just started to head home and engine light came on, loss some power then headed onto the M11and that was that, with a large smoke screen in my rear view mirror i pulled over as the turbo just let go (2005 Zafira 2.0Turbo SRi). Got home 4 hrs later thanks to the AA. I guess at least i managed to pick up the axle first!

My job tomorrow strip out the turbo and order a new one.

2 minutes ago, bris jas said:

Bad day yesterday as travelled 150 miles to pick up the axle, just started to head home and engine light came on, loss some power then headed onto the M11and that was that, with a large smoke screen in my rear view mirror i pulled over as the turbo just let go (2005 Zafira 2.0Turbo SRi). Got home 4 hrs later thanks to the AA. I guess at least i managed to pick up the axle first!

My job tomorrow strip out the turbo and order a new one.

That really is a bummer, there is that damn fly in the ointment again.

Will you go for a new, used or recon turbo?

3 minutes ago, IanMc said:

That really is a bummer, there is that damn fly in the ointment again.

Will you go for a new, used or recon turbo?

I'll go for new or re-con Ian. No point going for used as that might be on its last legs. I did one on my last Zafira GSi turbo, think i used a company called midland turbos but will have to check, they were good and a fair price.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Paul Barrett said:

Bummer mate, the trusty wagon has hit the dust. 

Were you thinking of a bit of a pry ex on the xe I have for the 1800? 

Always up for a deal mate, i will be putting the 1.8 up for sale soon. Have you got a spare let lying around😏

Looks a good project, enjoy, would you consider a saab turbo and a carlton box to match your great choice in rear axle, have you another spare 240 axle with an LSD, PLEASE!  Got a set of 740 turbo alloys 8 inch!  Was gonna do same, 

How do you get yours up on a spit? Spit i have is about three foot of the ground, any ideas?

On 09/12/2018 at 21:21, ®evo03 said:

Looks a good project, enjoy, would you consider a saab turbo and a carlton box to match your great choice in rear axle, have you another spare 240 axle with an LSD, PLEASE!  Got a set of 740 turbo alloys 8 inch!  Was gonna do same, 

How do you get yours up on a spit? Spit i have is about three foot of the ground, any ideas?

I did think of a Saab turbo but apparently they are alot taller so more difficult to fit over the cross member, i don't have another 240 axle, this came up last week so got the deal done asap and cheap as chips. I haven't looked in side but think its an open diff.

I have a high lift trolley jack, i put 4x4 timber across the chassis legs and pump up the jack to get the height needed.

Quick update, turbo fixed on day car, so back onto the Manta.

I made up the rear lower panel and rear part of the floor, all welded in but can't finish the N/S yet until i have the spare wheel well.

Anyway main hurdle was getting strength into the rear panel/floor so i could get it on the spit,

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update.

Managed to finally remove all the underseal, sealer etc from the bottom of the car including inner wheel arches. Lovely fun job 😧

Can't believe how good the n/s chassis leg is. No real scares under there, bit of a delay on the repair panels so might start on the rear arches(ready for the 400 arches) and lower rear 1/4 sections.

• Like 1

Spent a bit of time in the garage this week, started on the o/s/r lower 1/4 panel, there was also some repair needed to the floor.

The inner strengthener had completely gone towards the bottom where it meets the floor to 1/4 section, so i cut out upto a good section and fabricated and welded in the new piece

once the strength was back in and the floor repaired i moved onto repairing the 1/4, as this is a shape with different curves i made it in a few pieces to make life easier

I did it in 2 sections, rear first as i didn't want the 1/4 panel to distort

Next job will be to do the front half down to the cill section (still waiting on cill panel).

Edited by bris jas
  • Like 8