Moomin007

Manta restoration - South Africa

Hi all,

Here are some pics of the Manta that I'm busy restoring. Fortunately there is minimal rust (thus far, thumbs crossed) so it should be a relatively straightforward job. It is still in process of having the paint removed so I'm hoping I'm not getting any nasty surprises!

Here the fenders have been removed to check what's going on underneath - not too bad

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Fenders are still in good shape. Slight rust around the mounting hole for the bumper but easy to fix

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Engine bay looks alright, just very dirty due to years of not going anywhere!

Crossmember/subframe looks to be in good condition but I'm going to remove that anyway to clean/spray all the parts. Will probably get that done over the weekend.

Engine is (as is to be expected) very very dirty. Started cleaning that last weekend and will continue with that this weekend. The motor turns but is very tight, so i'm hoping there isn't rust on the inside. Oil was never drained but it looked to be in OK-ish condition when I drained it. I'll open the engine up to check the condition of the inside. I'm going to be taking the oil pan and rocker cover anyway, so might as well remove the head and ancillaries to check condition. I'm trying to avoid an engine rebuild on this one so hoping all is well. Engine number shows this to be a 19S

I'll be putting on the Minilite rims that came off my Scirocco race car. It's a perfect fit - will just need to find 13" tyres that are wide enough...which could be a costly exercise. Might just go to a nice set of aftermarket 14 or 15 rims if the 13" tyre set proves to be too costly

So far so good. There are a couple of nasty rust spots where I'm going to have to cut panels out and weld new panels in but the general conditon of the car is ok. The seats and dashboard have already been sent in for refurbishment. Now just continue on the way I'm going now and get the car ready for prep.

Joblist for this weekend:

• Keep sanding and stripping paint!
  • Strip engine to check condition
  • Remove subframe if time allows
  • Cut out rusted panels (might wait until all paint is removed first though...)

i'll be keeping you all posted on the progress...

cheers,

Derik

• Like 2

This should be another interesting project to watch the progress on Derik. How old is the car?  where in S A  are you? I have some MANTA badges but they are off "B"

13 minutes ago, Julian said:

This should be another interesting project to watch the progress on Derik. How old is the car?  where in S A  are you? I have some MANTA badges but they are off "B"

Hi Julian. I'm based in Johannesburg. I'm quite excited about this car. I've always wanted a Manta (more than the GT, which is the one everyone wants. Well in SA they do, anyway) so with owning this car, I would've owned and driven all my childhood heroes. (The other being Volvo 850R, VW Scirocco Mk 1 and Audi S2)

I'm not sure how old it is but I think it's a 1971 model. I'll have to check the papers for that, but I'm thinking of seeing 1971 somewhere on the documentation.

EDIT: Could you show the badges you have that are from a "B" Manta?

Edited by Moomin007

Sorry, dont see any rust, rust needs to have gaping holes! :P

Looks a nice solid project, enjoy

It looks great up top doesn't it?, whats it like underneath?

I like the colour too.

33 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Sorry, dont see any rust, rust needs to have gaping holes! :P

Looks a nice solid project, enjoy

PHEW! Then I'm safe! :thumbup

22 minutes ago, IanMc said:

It looks great up top doesn't it?, whats it like underneath?

I like the colour too.

The only rust I've found underneath was an exhaust that is past it's sell by date. The undercarriage has got years of much stuck to it though...so once that's cleaned off a proper assessment will be made. It looks good though, so I'm sure it's fine to be honest.

I'm sticking with the colour...the closest three period correct GM colours I could find (so it seems) are Horizon blue, Strato blue and Signal blue. Once I'm ready I'll get samples of each to see what each one looks like.

44 minutes ago, Moomin007 said:

The only rust I've found underneath was an exhaust that is past it's sell by date. The undercarriage has got years of much stuck to it though...so once that's cleaned off a proper assessment will be made. It looks good though, so I'm sure it's fine to be honest.

Lucky guy!, good luck with the rest of the project.

Nice to see another A series being restored :-) and it must be nice not to have loads of welding to do!!

If you need any parts i have a few links on my blog that might help.

http://www.theopelproject.com/?page_id=219

Andy