Steering help

If anyone has easy access to a standard A Series is there any chance of a pic of the cross member and steering rack looking straight on from the front of the car and if possible the distance from the top of the cross member to the bottom of the sump.

I need to know the clearance as my engine is out and im doing a little steering rack adaption and need to know what space i have and didn't want to have to try and lump the block back in just to measure.

Any pics or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Hey Fin

I hope things are good with you?

That would be amazing if you could. Im just doing the last bit of brake and clutch lines and tidying up the electrics and then the last bit of the puzzle to complete is the steering.

I have some metal adaptors that i have had cut for the new rack setup, which i think you will find interesting :-) (also lots of laser cut brackets :-) which i will pop up on the blog next week when they are finished. But it dawned on me the other day that i have never taken any pics or measured the clearance! so i wanted to make sure there was enough room for when i drop the block back in as it would be a disaster if i had everything sorted and then found the engine was hitting the brackets! It doesn't need to be mm perfect, just a rough idea so i can see if it will clear or if i have to do some more modifications!

Andy

Hi Andy,

Sounds like you're deep in the midst of it again! I had a bad case of manflu at the weekend, but I manged to crawl under the car and take a measurement using my calibrated measuring tool - an M6 bolt! :P

Overall bolt length is 21mm, you see the sump tapers towards the back of the car, you probably only have maybe 19mm clearance the lowest point.
If you need anything else just let me know.
Fin

IMG_3441.JPG

• Like 1

Fin

You are a star, especially for struggling through the manflu :-) I will do some measuring this weekend.

If you get a chance (no rush) could you take a pic head on so it show the steering rack and sump, just so i can see where the rack position is in relation to the sump?

i have one from other angles but not a head on one.

Yep, im on a mission again. I now have the pedals all finted and brake and clutch lines all in and now i just need to finish this steering rack, and get the head back from the engine guy who is dragging his heals, then when the engine is in i can connect up the new steering shaft and then its just filling up, bleeding, testing and sorting bits and we can she if she starts and runs and maybe moves!

I dont think it will be before Christmas but it wont be too long. I should have the steering pics up on the blog soon so you can see what im up to :-)

Andy 

Just what i was after :-) Thanks, Fin

i have a bracket that goes around the steering rack as i needed to change the angle of the steering shaft as it comes out of the rack and its 20mm thick in height, so as long as i have 20mm between the top of the rack and the sump im all good. it will all become clear when i pop some pics on the blog. I just need to finish a couple of little bits before i do that. (the image is a little mockup template i had cut to test before i had the real one made)

A little cleaning job for the spring for you there :-)

Also if anyone has a spare cap that you can see on the bottom there that covers the shaft nut, mine has done a runner so i need one of those :-)

Andy

IMG_20181106_1817252.jpg