Camshaft

Pete Whiles

Anybody got a decent camshaft surplus to requirements while my head is off, may be an OP214/270 or better, car is to be used for road use only, currently got a PMC3, which I believe is a Peter Maiden cam? but that is as much as I know, came to me in a 2.2 Carlton head I purchased with solid lifters.

The PMC 3 camshaft is a good one. I'd use that rather than a OP214, its more similar to a OP234 from the specs.

I have an old PMC catalogue and it lists the pmc3 as 288deg valve duration, with maximum valve lift of 10.8mm, and they were all machined from fresh GM blanks.

Its designed for injection and was offered as part of their 150bhp gte tuning kit along with a ported head, raised compression decent exhaust and adjustable fuel pressure reg.

• Like 2

Unfortunately it doesn't have the timing figures, somebody may have a copy of the fitting instructions.

But if not i seem to remember there is a way of timing a cam without the figures, that was covered in an issue of CCC and Walkers workshop i think

On 18/11/2018 at 12:21, mantasrme said:

Its designed for injection and was offered as part of their 150bhp gte tuning kit along with a ported head, raised compression decent exhaust and adjustable fuel pressure reg.

Know a standard coupe fitted with, it was apparently an aftermarked head, guy said it was upgraded to 2.2 carlton exhaust valves, and a aftermarked cam. Very lumpy, and raspy, almost sounds angry! Animal on juice! Is it worth the extra 40bhp, who knows!

Love how all these wee bits add up to extra bhp! Would be great to know more, are these companies still about, and would they release the info, now that its not their objective to keep it underwraps, to maximise sales.

Never really got this, as all it would have taken is to buy one, measure it and recreate, bit like a resse motorsport 24/16v head.

Edited by ®evo03

22 hours ago, Danny D114BCW said:

Interesting info David, that the CAM and other subtle mods could get 150bhp. I would be interested in any information people have. 

The PMC catalogue lists everything they included in the 150bhp kit, although not all the exact specifics about the cam angles or head porting. Which is as follows.

• 2" exhaust system and downpipes to reduce back pressure
  • Group A head. Ported combustion chambers and ports, reduced valve throats. Light weight exhaust valves 38mm dia, 42mm inlet valves. 10.2/1 compression ratio
  • PMC 3 camshaft 288deg duration and 10.8mm lift
  • Adjustable fuel pressure regulator. increasing fuel pressure from 2.5 to 2.9bar
  • K+N air filter element and ngk plugs
  • All set up on a rolling road.

Personally i think the 150bhp might have been a tad optimistic as my old cih engine was only running 148bhp and had the following spec

• Stg 3 head, very ported and 11.5-1 compression. From memory it had 45mm inlet 40mm exhaust (certainly they were the biggest you could ft without going offset guides)
  • 0.5mm oversize pistons (so 2050cc)
  • Kent OP234 camshaft and vernier which is listed as a 280deg 10.89mm lift cam
  • Tony Law custom 2 1/4" exhaust system and downpipes
  • adjustable fuel pressure reg
  • K+N filter
  • All setup on a local rolling road to get the best out of it.

It was a good engine but not the best for driving around town as it needed some revs to get away from junctions and was quite lumpy at tickover. loads of power once up and running over 2500rpm and loads of fun to drive though. However biggest problem with making an engine like that nowadays is finding a modified head at a reasonable price. I'm sure Risse motorsport do them but at what cost?

Especally when doing an XE conversion gives as much power in standard form with much more driveability and is a far better engine all round :P

• Like 1