Manta B 1.8s Brake Conversion Front

MatthewLl99

Hey all

I have read a lot of posts on front brake conversion and the options. There are a fair few options that people have mentioned. I was wonder if someone could help me, I have spent a while looking for the calipers for many different options with not much luck. Something that came up a fair few times was carlton 2.2 vented disks and vectra 1.6 calipers and pads so this is the main option I have been looking at. 

This is the best I have found wondering if anyone knows if this would work or of a better combination that are more commonly available or where to find the calipers that would be great.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Vectra-MK1-B-1-6i-52mm-Diam-TRW-Front-Left-Remanufactured-Brake-Caliper/362455994484?hash=item54640f9074:g:AsAAAOSwIntbwIjG:rk:12:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-CARLTON-FRONT-VENTED-BRAKE-DISCS-258MM-DIA/330286793117?hash=item4ce6a0819d:g:uyAAAOxyW7tRhkwP

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, dog321fish said:

The standard brakes on my 1.8s work fine, once I had put astra sliders in with the grease helix machined into them.

Ours was sat for 20 years before beginning repair and it went into the garage with brake failure is what I have been told so want to completely overhaul them and fit something newer along with the rear putting disks on that too

I have on mine Astra mk4 calipers and Audi 80 b3 256mm discs up front and Astra mk4 discs, calipers and cables on the back. Works really well. 

Front calipers bolt straight on, Audi discs need the centre hole machined out and holes redrilled to fit the back of the manta hub. Manta flex fits too. Piece of cake really. 

If you decide to go for the mk4 Astra rears you will need adapter plates for mounting the calipers from mantasport on here. You can use the manta cable but it's a bit crude as the caliper has to be mounted up top so you need to unbolt and swing the caliper up around to bleed it then bolt it back on once it's blead. I used the Astra cable which was bit of a frap as I had to weld cable anchor points to the floor and extend the threaded adjuster on the lever but well worth doing if you want it to look right. Oh and you need to sort your flexys to the caliper, I used Astra mk4 front flexys on my rear calipers iirc then welded brackets to the axle to mount them.

Hope this helps:thumbup

I do not believe the carlton disc you refer to above is actually the right one. It lists as fitting the mk2 and mk3 carlton and as far as i know they are completely different setups, the mk2 is a 4 stud hub and the mk3 is 5 stud. So i think that is a mistake in the listing and the wrong disc for your car

The brake caliper looks to be the early vectra one, which is the same as the mk2 astra 16v caliper that is a popular conversion. But they give no specifications on it and the part number they list does not cross reference to anywhere on the web. The problem with the vauxhall fit ATE calipers like that is they all look the same but without knowing the OE part number they replace or the specifications they may not be the right ones and at that price you want them to be right first time.

The standard brakes work ok if they are in top form and you drive normally. But they soon reach there limit with enthustiastic driving and repeated hard braking as they get too warm, even on a standard 1.8 car. Being solid discs they cannot disperse the heat well unlike a vented disc. The excess heat also is what causes issues with the standard sliders as the one piece caliper transfers that heat into the housing, melts away the grease and they seize. The uprated sliders Dog321fish use are good but you can still cause them to seize up if you get the discs cherry red too often (not that i ever have of course  :ph34r: )

The most common front brake upgrade currently is the mk2 astra 16v calipers and the Audi discs (as Biffy1984 runs, not mk4 fronts thats a typo) they fit under the 14" alloys and give a larger vented disc but also a pad surface area thats around twice as large. So more friction for a given pressure on a larger diameter disc which gives more braking performane. Plus its a vented disc so will not over heat and a modren caliper design that stays working.

• Like 1

As some say above nothing wrong with the original setup regarding discs but the later single piston calipers are a pain as they seize on the sliders.the early calipers with twin pistons were a much better idea and are a straight swap .(as a unit with correct pads,hose ,bolts etc ) but we’re a standard fit up to approx 1979 ish on most cars.

there are also a few cars that had the ate sliding bracket style,single piston which were bullet proof but they’re rarer to find but do use the same hose and pads as yours.

also if you do insist on upgrading to a type not originally fitted check with insurance first cos some don’t accept modified cars even if it’s a safety upgrade. Best ask first. 

I have on mine, calipers from a MK3 Cavalier LXi (I was told!) and Carlton discs from an earlier one, between 84 and 86 I think they are. There is a bit of pad over hang but never had any issues with them. Had to use them twice in anger and don't think the car would still be around if the old brakes were fitted! On a 2 litre CIH lump with rear drums they do feel nicely balanced.

I've had Carlton 2.2 vented discs and calipers on a previous Manta which were better than the standard brakes.  My current Manta has got Wilwood Midilite calipers and vented discs which I got as a kit from Rally Design.