Nivlek2525

1981 Manta Coupe Project.

Impact driver massively helped us to shift this bolt..

needed my lads help, impacccct driver  ear defenders & club hammer....it is no longer stuck 😆

4 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Ah should have tried kerosene, not to burn it, ☹️

To soak it, you can soak a rag and wrap it, once cleaned you could have reused it. Aw well, No permanent harm done

I've not damage anything yet...and although I've not used kerosene I've been soaking them in WD-40 since I got the car a month or two ago.  The passenger side came out no problem so I thought I'd cracked it.  The driver's side just isn't having it. It turns freely but rotates the steel sleeve and rubber mount and I can't hold it still. If I can't get to it this weekend I might try the kerosene trick.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, markyspark said:

Impact driver massively helped us to shift this bolt..

needed my lads help, impacccct driver  ear defenders & club hammer....it is no longer stuck 😆

Yes, that probably would have helped but my oldest is only 7. Too young for a club hammer?

3 hours ago, IanMc said:

I gave up on mine and just cut thew bolt head off and bashed it through to the center of the car (with the help of plenty of penetrating fluid).

Once the arm is off with the bolt stuck in it, I cut through the old bolt between the washer and the rubber. Once the nut and washer were out of the way the thing came apart quite easily. This of course assumes that you are going to replace the now useless bushes like I did. If you have a look at my project thread you will see the bushes fitted and a link to show where to buy them - they are relatively cheap!

By the way, to do what I have described on the drivers side requires the exhaust to be out of the way - otherwise the bolt hits the pipe as you drive it through.

Best of luck matey.

Hi, yes, this is the conclusion I've come to. Big hammer didn't work. Big G-clamp and socket didn't work. Molegrips on the steel bushing didn't work. By the time I decided it needed the grinder it was 11pm and I'm trying to stay in the next door neighbour good books.

I'll check out you thread thanks.

My next post will be of the subframe remove, hopefully this side of Christmas.

Thanks all!

• Like 1

When the bolts are stuck there is very little you can do.

I weld a nice long bolt head to head on the stuck bolt and then use a bit of scaffold tube and a thick washer and a nut to pull the old bolt out, the tube sits against the chassis leg and you wind it out with a socket on a long bar.

its a good way of saving the bushes.

Replace the bolts.

• Like 1

Nice touch, so you use scaff pipe as a slide hammer? 

Bolt is head to head, pipe on extra long bolt, washer then nut. Slide hammer! 

On 19/12/2018 at 19:43, IanMc said:

I gave up on mine and just cut thew bolt head off and bashed it through to the center of the car (with the help of plenty of penetrating fluid).

Once the arm is off with the bolt stuck in it, I cut through the old bolt between the washer and the rubber. Once the nut and washer were out of the way the thing came apart quite easily. This of course assumes that you are going to replace the now useless bushes like I did. If you have a look at my project thread you will see the bushes fitted and a link to show where to buy them - they are relatively cheap!

By the way, to do what I have described on the drivers side requires the exhaust to be out of the way - otherwise the bolt hits the pipe as you drive it through.

Best of luck matey.

It's out! I had to resort to cutting the head off, lovering the subframe down a bit and then it slide out to the side no problem. Not seized in the car at all but the bolt is well and truly seized in the bush. All the penetrating fluid hadn't touch it as it still looks bone dry.

The bush is so far undamaged so I'm still only down one bolt. I'll worry about the bush later but it will be a lot easier with it off the car. 

That's all for a few days.

Merry Christmas to anyone reading, and again, thanks for the advice and encouragement.

Cheers!

• Like 2

Just now, ®evo03 said:

Nice touch, so you use scaff pipe as a slide hammer? 

Bolt is head to head, pipe on extra long bolt, washer then nut. Slide hammer! 

No, I pull the old stuck bolt into the scaff pipe, you weld a nice strong bolt the to the head of the stuck one and then put the tube over it. Then put a thick washer on the new bolt and pop a nut on, simply wind the nut on the new bolt and the old stuck one pulls into the tube.

No bush damage ! if you are careful you can cut the bolt you welded on back off the original bolt, tidy it up and use it again.

• Thanks 1

On 19/12/2018 at 19:43, IanMc said:

Best of luck matey.

It's out! I had to resort to cutting the head off, lovering the subframe down a bit and then it slide out to the side no problem. Not seized in the car at all but the bolt is well and truly seized in the bush. All the penetrating fluid hadn't touch it as it still looks bone dry.

The bush is so far undamaged so I'm still only down one bolt. I'll worry about the bush later but it will be a lot easier with it off the car. 

That's all for a few days.

Merry Christmas to anyone reading, and again, thanks for the advice and encouragement.

Cheers!

I've been making some progress over the last few weeks but it's been slow. I finally finished a couple of jobs today so I thought I'd write it up and share a few photos. I stripped down the subframe mainly to make it easier to store and it came a part no problem which was nice. I may get it blasted or I may just set too with a wire brush in the grinder. Thoughts please.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Then I cut out the outer chassis rail larger than the internal rot so I could work out how best to repair it.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Then it was a case of making a new inner section out of 2.5ish plate. I got a job lot of zintec' off eBay and I just matched the thinness. I make a card template and the formed a section using a piece of bar with a slot cut in the end and slowly formed the flange. Then dressed it up.

Once happy with the fit I cleaned up the existing and soaked everything with zinc primer and let it dry.

Then I welded the new sections in. I had to make it in two section. The main one is on the outside and then a smaller section to theengine bay side. This actually worked out well because I could weld it from both sides and also check the welds were penetrating ok.

Before I can anything out I fixed a 4x2 to the ARB mounts and the fixed legs to brace it off the garage floor to make sure nothing moved.

I temporarily screwed the old external chassis panel in place to make sure my new work was the right dimensions and all looks well.

Can't upload a photo as I've reached my limit....

• Like 1