Dash Light Fuse

plumster

Hi Sam,

Fuse No. 2 should be a 5 Amp - coloured Yellow. On the Cav's this fuse protects: Left side and tail lamps, number plate lamp, instrument lamps, fan motor and rear demist switch illumination, auto trans bulb, clock, glove box, rear fogs and engine compartment lamp.

All Red fuses on my Cav are 16 Amp, so if that is what you have and you are blowing it in that circuit you have something serious going on there.

I hope that helps.

Whenever a fuse keeps blowing normally you say dead short but I've never found one what I do find is bad connections normally on bulb fittings this causes the current to spike or surge does it blow immediately or when you turn the lights on if so I would start with the outside lights first.

Yeah should only be a yellow one thats correct ..

as ian says there are a lot of lights running from that fuse so plenty of chance for a short somewhere.

one thing you can do if you cannot find any issues anywhere is to put a high wattage bulb on some leads and pop it in place of the fuse. Then go round and check if any lights are glowing.the ones that are glowing albeit very dimly will mean that the short is not on that line.

eg if the front and rear lights are glowing then the short is not on the front or rear line etc.  .you may be lucky depending on where the short is .if its near the fuse right at the begginning then no lights will glow but if its the number plate light for example it will be dead whereas other bulbs will glow dimly. Its a long shot but worth a try if you cannot find the fault.

check wiring loom inside boot to lights and number plate lamp.check inside headlights for the sidelight connection.check under instrument cover hood,check behind radio / cig lighter light and clock( although i think cig lighter is from ignition feed rather thanlight switch)

happy hunting

Cheers Chaps, will have a good look at the weekend.

I noticed the cowl wasn't illuminated, the heater motor was working nicely but obviously couldn't check the side lights as I was pottering along the M66 to work.

When I replaced the fuse (quite a thin strip of copper) & switched the lights to side it pinged straight away, I left it at that.

Would you suggest trying a yellow one?

7 hours ago, plumster said:

Would you suggest trying a yellow one?

I guess you could try, but if your blowing a Red 16A fuse, a 5A should have zero chance of working.

You really need to start investigating using the great advice and tips above.

Good luck!