Seat lowering

IanMc

Hi all,

I’m finding that the headroom in my Cav Coupe is quite restricted, has anyone lowered their seats at all- if so, how did you do it?

I’m thinking of maybe cutting a section out of the frame tubes and then rewelding them?

Never tried lowering the basic manta seats, which I presume is what you have on your cav.  

But the recaro seats are lower than those to start with and can be lowered another 15mm or so with a little work.

13 minutes ago, mantasrme said:

Never tried lowering the basic manta seats, which I presume is what you have on your cav.  

But the recaro seats are lower than those to start with and can be lowered another 15mm or so with a little work.

Thanks David, are the Recaro ones lowered in the way I have suggested?

2 hours ago, IanMc said:

Thanks David, are the Recaro ones lowered in the way I have suggested?

No. The seats bolt onto the frames and from memory there are three different heights to choose from.

So to lower the recaro seats is a case of undoing four 8mm bolts and refitting in the lowered position. 

Edited by Snowy
  • Like 1

Std cav seats would be harder to physically lower. The bar that runs along the front could very well be cut and shortened but the sides of the seat rest on pads which pretty much rest on the floor itself so not much you could do there if at all. One possible way to make the seating position lower would be to soften the cushion.this could be done by remaking a new foam bolster to the same dimentions but with a softer grade foam.not a 5 min job and needs to be done neat and properly to end up looking factory.

a much easier way would be to soften the existing cushion by honeycombing it.(drilling a network of holes with a holesaw to keep the shape but reduce the density meaning when you sit on it you will sink further into it.) 

i did my sofa cushions in the house this way last year when i bought it. They were a bit too firm for my liking and this sorted them out .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

One possible way to make

a much easier way would be to soften the existing cushion by honeycombing it.(drilling a network of holes with a holesaw to keep the shape but reduce the density meaning when you sit on it you will sink further into it.) 

i did my sofa cushions in the house this way last year when i bought it. They were a bit too firm for my liking and this sorted them out .

What a great idea - many thanks Chris :thumbup