Security

IanMc

Hi all,

As usual, I am getting way ahead of myself...

But thinking ahead and why I have carpet up, seats and door cards etc removed, what do you all do for security?

Do you have alarms, immobilisers or a simple switch to break the LT circuit?

While things are apart, I might look at this subject closely soon.

Thanks in advance to all contributors.

17 minutes ago, IanMc said:

Hi all,

As usual, I am getting way ahead of myself...

But thinking ahead and why I have carpet up, seats and door cards etc removed, what do you all do for security?

Do you have alarms, immobilisers or a simple switch to break the LT circuit?

While things are apart, I might look at this subject closely soon.

Thanks in advance to all contributors.

What engine are you fitting?

Fuel injected? Carburettor? Stand alone management etc?

What you're fitting will drive what immobiliser you will fit or how you do it.

Thanks 

49 minutes ago, IanMc said:

It’s a 2.0S Snowy running on a carb.

To be honest there isn't much you can do that couldn't be bypassed in minutes.

But for the joyrider rather than the professional just a simple on off for the feed to the ignition would do.

What I used to do on my cortina was take the rotor arm out when it was parked up.

Edited by Snowy
  • Like 1

I have a hidden 2 pole switch on my cars without injection. This shorts the negative side of coil to earth and joins it to the horn negative too. When the switch is in the on position ignition is totally disabled(like having points closed) and if anyone tries to Hotwire it or mess with ignition switch the horn will sound immediately..

on injection cars I have a hidden switch in line with fuel pump .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

I have a hidden 2 pole switch on my cars without injection. This shorts the negative side of coil to earth and joins it to the horn negative too. When the switch is in the on position ignition is totally disabled(like having points closed) and if anyone tries to Hotwire it or mess with ignition switch the horn will sound immediately..

on injection cars I have a hidden switch in line with fuel pump .

That’s interesting Chris, any chance you can email me a sketch of the wiring circuit and tell me where you hid your switch and disguised/hid the wiring.

Cheers mate.

7 minutes ago, cam.in.head said:

If I tell you where I hid my switch you would come and nick it !     !      ! 

Haha . 

Il email you a diagram when I'm at home . Cheers .

Ha ha, cheers Chris - as always your help is greatly appreciated. :thumbup

To be honest there  are various security options around.

there are the good old style steering wheel locks and the ones which cover the entire wheel.better than the old crook locks of the 70's which could be bent off .

there are various modern alarms / immobilisers inc top end insurance approved ones .

it depends on wether its proper car thrives or "get you home after a night out" theives as to how effective different types are. The proper alarms /immobilisers are not always infallible as some theives may know ways around them or how to bypass them.

,everything helps a bit and gives you more time and makes it a bit safer.

i personally like the idea of non commercial hidden and unexpected methods as they can be harder to get by

you need to think like a thief. If your car had a faulty ignition switch how would you get it going and find ways to make it harder to do

fuel cut off by either valve (mechanical or electrical) or fuel pump power supply cut off switch.

ignition cut off by either removing power to coil or points or elec ign module.

spark eliminate by shorting coil neg/green wire to earth.

you could even get more "clever" by making a way (mechanical or electrical) to lock controls .be it gear-lever,pedals,handbrake.

• Like 1

Most would be thieves know how to bypass a purchased system in minutes, there only real purpose is to lower your insurance premium a bit. I've always preferred a 'home made' system that only you know how to bypass.

For a carb car, is suggest stopping the fuel reaching the engine (or removing a part). Workout fuel it can't go far. An electrical immobilizer is quite easy to get round with a carb. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, simon p said:

Most would be thieves know how to bypass a purchased system in minutes, there only real purpose is to lower your insurance premium a bit. I've always preferred a 'home made' system that only you know how to bypass.

For a carb car, is suggest stopping the fuel reaching the engine (or removing a part). Workout fuel it can't go far. An electrical immobilizer is quite easy to get round with a carb. 

I agree. With a carburettored car there isn't much you can fit that won't take minutes to bypass. That's why I used to remove the rotor arm.

Also most professional thieves will turn up with a flatbed and hi-vis vests and take your car that way. No one would bat an eye lid.

• Like 2

My South African friend had suggested electrifying the door handles :lol: possibly illegal in the UK of course :ph34r:

Visual deterrents such as the locks that cover the steering wheel deter most amateurs (although I once returned to my car running, door open and a brick on the seat where they had been belting the lock!) 

Like Snowy says the pro's will turn up with a flatbed making most things ineffective, all you can do is make life difficult and fit a wheel clamp  & tracker and security mark every bit of glass etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Always a greatly debated topic this. As most have said, "professional" thieves can and will bypass immobiliser systems, both bought and homemade. An alarm will draw some attention but again can be bypassed by the professional thief and are sadly largely ignored as "some idiots alarm going off". Physical security like a steering wheel disk lock is a good visual deterrent and may stop your windows being smashed before they realise that it is immobilised.  

Bottom line is if they want it, they'll take it. BUT, all of the above are additional layers that make it harder to steal. Classics are being targeted more now with values growing and the need for a healthy spares market along with the more sophisticated (not always better) systems incorporated in modern vehicles.

So, with classics being targeted by professionals and knowing that they will get it, even if its towed away, would you want it back? If (like me) the answer is yes, then fitting a tracking system is the only real option.  My advice would be to get a recognised system. Yes you can get an old iPhone with pay as you go sim and hide it in the car, but unless you intend to walk into some thieves lock up and steel it back its not going to do a great deal. Also the police will not respond to you directing them via google maps, they'll only be directed by an approved monitoring center once a crime reference number has been raised. 

A recognised system will have alerts that are triggered by certain scenarios giving you/the monitoring center the immediate heads up should something occur, and a proper police response. 

On  my Manta a good few years back l had a system on that was made up from relays and one touch switches can not remember how is was done as a spark carried out the system,but it cut the fuel and spark from the engine,

if you find a good auto spark they will build a system for you ,I might have a switch kicking around somewhere 

if l can find it will get a photo of it 

Looking at this as if you were a theif ,especially a pro or one with knowledge on how to wire up the ignition or injection to get power then most systems can be got round eventually.think what you would do if you were stranded somewhere in the middle of nowhere.you would / may know where you need to put 12v and what wires you could safely unplug to get it going to get youhome.so in theory so could a theif.

steering wheel locks and covers may eventually be removable given time.

electrical fuel cut offs can be over ridden by wiring and i suppose throretically an actual flow tap could be overridden by someone if they found it .    More unlikely but still possible is ,,,would a determined theif add a fuel pipe or even a seperate fuel container direct to the engine ?     Anything is possible but all these ideas give you more time.

again.think what you would doif you were strandedsomewhere. How would you get it going . Thats how we need to think. 

1 hour ago, IanMc said:

Some very thought provoking replies above Gents. It does kind of make you wonder if there is much point doing anything apart from taking the rotor arm out.

You have two types of thieves:

1. The opportunist - for this you want something in your face like a steering wheel lock or similar. 

2. The professional - only something like a tracker will put these off. But very few. Mobile signal jamming devices can be bought or made cheaply. 

So what you do is your choice. 

• Like 2