1.8 GT Hatch for sale low miles

That's a bit of a find! Will be interesting to see how much it goes for. 

Pity it's just a GT though. Still, a set of the optional Berlinetta wheels would add to it. Would be a shame to mess with it otherwise given the low mileage and condition. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Danny D114BCW said:

What a nice thing!

i wonder what happened to the original washer bottle :rolleyes:

It could be the original one, I have had a few of these Berlinettas with that bottle fitted.  Even Later 1800 Exclusives with twin lights had them.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2018 at 20:42, Monaco Blue said:

Pity it's just a GT though. Still, a set of the optional Berlinetta wheels would add to it. Would be a shame to mess with it otherwise given the low mileage and condition. 

1800 GT's are rare, there is another Red one near me and i have seen another one at Billing, but there are far fewer than other 1800's, with the one owner, very low mileage, this must be kept original, every change made to this will wipe hundreds off the value.

2 hours ago, Danny D114BCW said:

i wonder what happened to the original washer bottle :rolleyes:

It is the original, also note the lack of sound deadening over the pedal box, another original feature of the bargain basement GT.

Kieth Mayman ( Anne Norris's brother ) red 1800 Exclusive is the same, but round washer bottle was because it's an Exclusive, as for the lack of pedal box sound deadening on it i always wondered if it was because this was one of the very last 1800 built had Opel's run out of pedal box sound deadening ?

Studying the pictures the only none original parts appear to be the exhaust and the battery, Hope it does make the estimate, this will put the value of the rest of the remaining 1800 up and make all of them worth saving.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Danny D114BCW said:

All the exclusives had a round washer bottle, I thought that all the early cars had the bigger bottle. Everyday is a school day. 

All models fitted with headlamp wash wipe have the larger square reservoir from the factory. Those that didn't generally have the round bottle but not always. 

Hope that helps.

The round bottles were in use long before the exclusive came along.

• Like 1

Very interesting, learned yrs ago, that manta arent carved from stone, therefore not all are the same, ie little details like water bottles, and the like. Have noticed the spare wheel holder is different to my 1.8 hatch.

This is metal, mine is plastic, so..... they run out or replaced one, for one reason or another. 

All i know is 10k+ for 13k mile hatch, very nice to see. Very nice car

Would i pay 5, 6 or 7 k for a restored similar car, (welded, repainted, and driven to death, with maybe 120k miles, ............no.

Thats how special this really is! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Very interesting, learned yrs ago, that manta arent carved from stone, therefore not all are the same, ie little details like water bottles, and the like. Have noticed the spare wheel holder is different to my 1.8 hatch.

This is metal, mine is plastic, so..... they run out or replaced one, for one reason or another. 

All i know is 10k+ for 13k mile hatch, very nice to see. Very nice car

Would i pay 5, 6 or 7 k for a restored similar car, (welded, repainted, and driven to death, with maybe 120k miles, ............no.

Thats how special this really is! 

I know what you mean. They fitted whatever they had at the time.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Rapierdave said:

not such good news for those wanting to get into Manta ownership.

That's a fair point, but I think in this instance that particular car was always going to make good money given it's provenance etc.

It would be interesting to know it's history etc. I'd guess it was bought new by someone in their 50's when new and been cherished ever since. 

Given what it went for, it makes that black Berlinetta hatch that was up for £14K seem not quite so OTT. I think it's still for sale. 

I had a 1800 gt in 1996, that had no rear wash wipe, round washer bottle, no sound deadening over the servo, none of that thick under carpet sound deadening that is like the biggest sponge you can imagine. No headlamps on buzzer! Probably more but I can't remember. 

On 31/07/2018 at 15:16, MANTAMAN said:

1800 GT's are rare, there is another Red one near me and i have seen another one at Billing, but there are far fewer than other 1800's, with the one owner, very low mileage, this must be kept original, every change made to this will wipe hundreds off the value.

It is the original, also note the lack of sound deadening over the pedal box, another original feature of the bargain basement GT.

Kieth Mayman ( Anne Norris's brother ) red 1800 Exclusive is the same, but round washer bottle was because it's an Exclusive, as for the lack of pedal box sound deadening on it i always wondered if it was because this was one of the very last 1800 built had Opel's run out of pedal box sound deadening ?

Studying the pictures the only none original parts appear to be the exhaust and the battery, Hope it does make the estimate, this will put the value of the rest of the remaining 1800 up and make all of them worth saving.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Rapierdave said:

I think they will struggle to make a profit on this car

Still making circa £3K IF it sold at that price. I suspect you might get it for £15K or so if you bargained hard. It does look almost brand new in the photos, which given it's only done 13K miles it ought to.

Dont even think a 2018 car with 13,000 mile would look new, As it ought to! 

4 hours ago, Monaco Blue said:

which given it's only done 13K miles it ought to.

Though, it is interesting that most of these high value cars just keep climbing and selling, climbing and selling! 

Ive nothing against anyone trying to make money on a car, if i wanted the car, Id buy it first hand, not after its been bought and sold by del boy a few times. 

As for profit, i would expect them to work for profit, not just add another few thou, profit isnt the word. To be profit, it is buying a car 3k, restoring it, 5k, selling it 10k.

Ive bought and broke cars in the past, and had my choice of who to sell the bits to, some people even had a grudge because i wouldnt sell the bits to them, sorry but it was my car, my bits, my terms, my choice.

learned alot, some decent people out there, some not so! 

i personally hate selling stuff, dealing, and listening to, what do you want for it!  Price is on it, mate! 

Edited by ®evo03
  • Like 2

On 13/12/2018 at 14:29, Monaco Blue said:

Still making circa £3K IF it sold at that price. I suspect you might get it for £15K or so if you bargained hard. It does look almost brand new in the photos, which given it's only done 13K miles it ought to.

12,300 was the hammer price there was a buyers premium and v.a.t. on top of that. Full price was well over 14k. Profit margin is coming down.

Dont get me wrong the car was lovely in the flesh condition wise, underneath was mint no welding ever done but it just looked very plain, it didnt stand out if you know what i mean. If it had been one of the better metallic colours i think it would have stood out a lot more.

Edited by chrisb
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, chrisb said:

it just looked very plain

They always did. To be honest I'm not sure why anyone would have bought one new apart from perhaps the price. The Berlinetta was a much better buy. There wasn't a huge difference in spec apart from the rear wash wipe (which this GT has), headlight wipers and alloys.

Given what you say re the actual price paid after VAT etc. I think it will be for sale for a while, as they won't want to drop the price by much if at all. Metallic paint would help but not much!

• 2 weeks later...