Gte exclusive lowering spring set

hoobby

I need a set of springs for an exclusive and see lowering sets for b's as the exclusive was lowered at production would this lower it further or where they fitted with shorter uprated springs anyone out thier changed Thiers how did it turn out.also the bottom turn on my front springs go straight for he last couple of cm's to seat into the lower arm is this the same with b springs.due to one of the fronts snapping this is the only thing keeping me off the road after nearly ten years and already harvested one of my wife kidneys to pay for the welding.15310683998591894202716.thumb.jpg.a5aef31759adb9289681fcca458fe7d0.jpg

As Gary so rightly says you never know.when you say you need a set I assume you need a front set  only .im sure someone on here will have some or there are plenty  standard ones on ebay. Especially if yours is a 2 litre

The lowered ones if you realy need to go that way are a slight gamble unless someone can recommend some they have fitted and can give you the heights when fitted

The lowered ones if you realy need to go that way are a slight gamble unless someone can recommend some they have fitted and can give you the heights when fitted

the straight end section is for positive location in the seats.all gm originals have that feature so I would expect good quality aftermarket to be similar

Just to finish this subject off this is how an exclusive looks with a kilen 40mm lower spring set only problem is rear springs will come unseated if the axle is allowed to drop so will need shorter travel shocks.is it me or does it look a bit higher now ?.IMG_20180714_152802.thumb.jpg.1bef99848f16a75f91a3927a529d3ea6.jpgIMG_20180714_152843.thumb.jpg.fa8d9da6709bb438ed33c125cae4335f.jpgIMG_20180714_152834.thumb.jpg.bf3507cd8d2e420e01dbba57c42481d9.jpg

To be honest that doesnt look low at all . That looks very similar to my cav with standard springs . I would have thought an exclusive would appear lower .problem is (although i dont like lowered cars anyway) that any lower and i wouldnt be able to drive mine anyway.speed humps already catch the exhaust as it is .and mines standard springs and standard exhaust. 

I take it that is a before and after picture of yours now with new springs in ? Looks fine to me !

Pics are front then back wheel didn't do a before shot as was all up on axle stands when i found three broken springs probably sat lower then.i was looking for around standard height anyway and the kit lowers a b by 40 mm may get a 60mm kit with shocks next year as all out of cash and kidney's.

Seeing as that looks similar height to standard b ( more or less)then it looks like those springs are firmer / uprated. Meaning less turns of a thicker or stronger material . Thats why they dont open up as much and could come unseated. So long as you are happy with the ride quality then yes you will need some shorter dampers.original exclusive springs or (technically correct) springs would open up to an acceptable snd contained length within standard damper length. 

However if you find the car a bit hard ( and it wasnt before ?) then you will need normal exclusive springs.

if its only the rears you are having trouble with at least they are the easy ones to swap !. 

Best regards

• Thanks 1

I would love to put standard  springs in but no one lists springs for an exclusive only b's up to 88 and I have read a few posts of people getting springs to find they have gained a few cm's.pic of old rear and 40mm lowering springIMG_20180713_174435.thumb.jpg.2529c825725cd79fef98c1d088faf9e6.jpg

4 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

To be honest that doesnt look low at all . That looks very similar to my cav with standard springs . I would have thought an exclusive would appear lower .problem is (although i dont like lowered cars anyway) that any lower and i wouldnt be able to drive mine anyway.speed humps already catch the exhaust as it is .and mines standard springs and standard exhaust. 

I take it that is a before and after picture of yours now with new springs in ? Looks fine to me !

I'd agree with your thoughts re the cars stance. If anything, it looks higher than a standard GTE or Exclusive. Are we sure that the OEM springs on the Exclusive's were different to say an 87MY GTE? I don't recall there being much difference between them to be honest. 

I’d agree .ride height looks fine to me too. So long as you are happy with ride quality you definately need to fit some shorter shocks. 

If not then keep your shocks and fit different rear springs . ( you dont want any chance of springs coming out)

original rear spring even gte ones as far as I know do look very similar to your original spring with a thin last turn on each end and a short straight locating section. 

Just fitted the rear springs I got from garymanc and has lifted the rear by 15mm so the kilsen catalogue is correct and will lower a gte/exclusive by 15mm.its probably me even when I first got the car I thought  could do with being a bit lower. will be getting shorter shocks next year many thanks for the help and advice.