Easy start Question?? Manta GTE exclusive

Barillo

Hi Folks.   I am in the process of fixing what i believes to be a fuel flow problem on my Manta GTE Exclusive but want to check if it will run for a few seconds on Easy start to check the ignition / Firing works.  I was recommended to do this but my question is this.  Do you take off the Mass air sensor inlet pipe and spray direct in past the butterfly valve into the throttle body or would you take the air filter end off and spray past thru the Bosch sensor unit flap valve??  I tried doing this before with my friend spraying direct into throttle body (probably over zealously )  and the stuff Exploded back out on me and with a bit of force too!! I Recommend wearing a welding glove and a visor next time! I had took The fuel tank was out of the car car at this time but there may have been some fuel traces left in the pipes when this happened.     This might sound like a bit of a silly question but I would appreciate knowing how this is done by the folks who have done this stuff before.  Regards. Bar  

Because you are essentially replacing the ECU, as remember the ignition is not controlled by the ECU, take the airflow meter out of the equation and spray the easy start up the pipework leading to the plenum chamber.

Also make sure you disconnect the fuel pump relay so no fuel is being pumped to the injectors and the injectors aren't trying to fire.

Make sure you have a good battery and start by spraying small pulses into the inlet until you hear the engine catch. Once it starts to catch spray more as required. Do not forget to open the throttle!

DO NOT FLOOD THE INLET WITH EASYSTART - spray as little as possible to achieve what you want. Which is to hear the engine fire.

Edited by Snowy

Hi Snowy.  That answer makes good sense and a lot safer than what I attempted.  I am going to try it again just as you described so soon as I can get a friend to help me start the car. I am currently waiting for a new fuel pump, Filter and relay which is hopefully is on the way soon.   Last night I was treating the old fuel tank with wire brush & Neutrarust and discovered it has been slowly leaking.  Somebody previously had repaired it using body fibreglass resin of all things and now the stuff is seeping through the resin again.  More bloody hassle as a result of an amateur bodge fix.  This explains the low fuel levels I had in tank when trying to start it initially.  Thanks for your quick help and advise Snowy.  Regards Bar

1 hour ago, Barillo said:

Hi Snowy.  That answer makes good sense and a lot safer than what I attempted.  I am going to try it again just as you described so soon as I can get a friend to help me start the car. I am currently waiting for a new fuel pump, Filter and relay which is hopefully is on the way soon.   Last night I was treating the old fuel tank with wire brush & Neutrarust and discovered it has been slowly leaking.  Somebody previously had repaired it using body fibreglass resin of all things and now the stuff is seeping through the resin again.  More bloody hassle as a result of an amateur bodge fix.  This explains the low fuel levels I had in tank when trying to start it initially.  Thanks for your quick help and advise Snowy.  Regards Bar

Just take care and don't forget the throttle needs to be open. 

You would be much much better off using a brake cleaner aerosol rather than easy start. Easy start is too potent really and as you have found out its easy to have a explosion. Brake cleaner is much gentler and had the same desired effect.

6 hours ago, MrCarlos said:

You would be much much better off using a brake cleaner aerosol rather than easy start. Easy start is too potent really and as you have found out its easy to have a explosion. Brake cleaner is much gentler and had the same desired effect.

Just be careful as due to lovely environmental regs not all brake cleaners are flammable anymore.

Hello Folks. Been away from the computer for a wee while but in tonight I got the GTE started without using Easy-start.   My new fuel pump and filter and new relay arrived and got fitted tonight and YES!!  It Started!!   I had the fuel system rigged up to different temporary tanks  because my proper fuel tank needs a welding repair which will hopefully be done soon. I am Happy its running but its not sounding or running correctly and it will not settle down to run at a steady Idle but I can keep it firing along on the throttle.  Hopefully its simple repairs required because I am very new to all this injection stuff but its interesting learning.    Thanks to all you guys with the tips on the Easystart Bang potion.   Kinda dodgy stuff if used incorrectly as I well found out.  We live and learn. JUST! :rolleyes: