Manta A - Wing type sump C20LET how much oil?

DiscoDave

Hey Chaps, 

My Manta A with C20LET puffs out a cloud of smoke when slowing down and just before stopping, & only when hot. 

She has the wing type sump, and I was thinking maybe it has too much oil. The oil might be getting thrown forward and preventing the Turbo oil return pipe from draining freely, or the oil is getting up into the cylinders.

Can anyone tell me me does the wing type sump require less oil? I’m using the original dip stick and have oil just above minimum.

Thanks in advance  

Dave  

That’s what I was thinking too, as it appears to be getting slowly worse. One thing I have noticed, is that the two breathers on the rocker are not connected to anything. I might plumb them in and create a negative pressure in the crank case which appears it doesn’t have. 

You can use a redtop dipstick if you measure it against a 1.8, from memory think the tube and dipstick is longer, regardless think it is 4.5l with filter every change, will check this could, search 1.8 dipstick, think there is a photo on here somewhere, 2.0 and 1.8 side by side. 

I have both versions 1.8 & Redtop in my shed. I have roughly measured them and there is a slight difference.

If memory serves me well, the dipstick tube on the 1.8 is smaller and so is the dipstick. The breather pipe length is also smaller and would need modifying.

I will endeavour to take some pictures today of both setups together to show the difference. That is if I can remember :unsure: as I have a lot of other work to do today and my short term memory is not the best :blink:

3 hours ago, robah said:

I have both versions 1.8 & Redtop in my shed. I have roughly measured them and there is a slight difference.

If memory serves me well, the dipstick tube on the 1.8 is smaller and so is the dipstick. The breather pipe length is also smaller and would need modifying.

I will endeavour to take some pictures today of both setups together to show the difference. That is if I can remember :unsure: as I have a lot of other work to do today and my short term memory is not the best :blink:

That’s fantastic. Id really appreciate that. I have the oil level at the point where it just touches the RedTop dipstick. I’m not completely convinced it’ll sort my problem. 

Lets see if I can explain and add pictures editing while I go along

The Blue dipstick is the 1.8 setup the other is Redtop

IMG_20180618_112418.jpg

At a rough gestimate their is a 40mm difference (the 1.8 is deeper lower item)

IMG_20180618_112613.jpg

Tried to show if fitted to block

IMG_20180618_112716.jpg

Measurements on dipsticks, one next to the rule is 1.8 dipstick

IMG_20180618_112851.jpg

Difference in bung height when both the dipsticks are level from the picture above.

IMG_20180618_112928.jpg

Maybe a cut down on the extension tube of the redtop setup by 40mm (approx.) would keep the redtop dipstick in play and remark the upper and lower limits as per 1.8 setup. Only a suggestion and not gospel or correct science as I have to work this out myself in the future.

Edited by robah
Aligning pictures to text
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, robah said:

Lets see if I can explain and add pictures editing while I go along

The Blue dipstick is the 1.8 setup the other is Redtop

IMG_20180618_112418.jpg

At a rough gestimate their is a 40mm difference (the 1.8 is deeper lower item)

IMG_20180618_112613.jpg

Tried to show if fitted to block

IMG_20180618_112716.jpg

Measurements on dipsticks, one next to the rule is 1.8 dipstick

IMG_20180618_112851.jpg

Difference in bung height when both the dipsticks are level from the picture above.

IMG_20180618_112928.jpg

Maybe a cut down on the extension tube of the redtop setup by 40mm (approx.) would keep the redtop dipstick in play and remark the upper and lower limits as per 1.8 setup. Only a suggestion and not gospel or correct science as I have to work this out myself in the future.

This is fantastic info! Thank you so much for going to the bother of checking this out. This makes total sense. Shortening the tube sounds like a simple enough adjustment. If it doesn’t work out, it won’t be the hardest thing to revert. I’ll be sure to keep you posted for your own knowledge, and upload some pics. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robah said:

Maybe if the plug can be moved, move it up towards grip handle approx. 40mm, probably cheaper and easier to replace the dipstick?

It is another one of those jobs to add to the "to do" list

Ehhh that was very obvious, Ha. In my head I was planning to shorten the tube. Moving the plug would be a lot easier in theory. Hopefully get a look at it this weekend when I get home from work. 

• Like 1