Frontera CIH 2.4 engine rebuild manual

I have had the crank ground on the old 2.4 Frontera engine and im going to start to rebuild it soon. I did rebuild it a good few years ago but its sat for so long its had a strip down is going to get some new bearings as i decided to have the crank ground. I have the Haynes manual , but this only has a very small section on the engine rebuild and stops before you get to the pistons! which are the main difference between the 2.0l and 2.4l. So to make sure everything goes back the right way i thought i would call vauxhall and they would be able to print me off or let me read that section from their service info. Well not that easy, according to vauxhall that is all classified info and they cant print or even show me the info (very James Bond) im not sure what they think im going to do with it!!

So anyone got any ideas on where i can find this info? i have a nice A series full workshop manual that i got from a friend, but the frontera one just does not seem to exist?

Any info or pointers would be helpful as keen to try and get the old girl running this year!

Andy 

• 2 weeks later...

Andy,

Rebuilding is exactly the same as the 2.0 differences being the bearings for the big ends on the conrods don't have holes in them for the piston oil squirters (usually anyway, there are some 2.4s with the piston oil squirters!!!! Just check the conrod for a small hole on the top of the big end close to the bolt), but you can use the 2.0 bearings in the 2.4 conrods no problem.

Pistons are the floating gudgeon pin type in the 2.4 so its jus a matter of assembling the piston, rod, gudgeon pin and fitting the c clips into the piston. Its a bit fiddly but you can do it carefully with a small screwdriver.

Everything else is pretty much the same.

HTH

Chris

9 hours ago, lamchop77 said:

Andy,

Rebuilding is exactly the same as the 2.0 differences being the bearings for the big ends on the conrods don't have holes in them for the piston oil squirters (usually anyway, there are some 2.4s with the piston oil squirters!!!! Just check the conrod for a small hole on the top of the big end close to the bolt), but you can use the 2.0 bearings in the 2.4 conrods no problem.

Pistons are the floating gudgeon pin type in the 2.4 so its jus a matter of assembling the piston, rod, gudgeon pin and fitting the c clips into the piston. Its a bit fiddly but you can do it carefully with a small screwdriver.

Everything else is pretty much the same.

HTH

Chris

Hey Chris

Thanks for the info. I was a little confused originally as in the haynes manual it doesn't mention that some could have rods with no oil hole so i was a bit worried i had the wrong rods, but after a bit of searching on the Opel GT site it seems that the consensus is that they most didn't have the hole and all the US guys swap for aftermarket that dont have the hole anyway!

I have just got the crank back from a grind so im starting to build it up now, so good to know the info before i start!

Andy