GTE arrived today and now to work!

H11poc

Hi all , I finally picked up my GTE Exclusive today and now it sits in my garage ready for all the work. The car had an interior full of bits and junk of which I have spent this first day clearing that out and removing the seats etc.   There was surprisingly little rust on it and was even more surprised when I pulled the sunroof back.. a tiny bit of surface brown but no rot...

Here are some pictures.

REAR VIEW

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

FRONT VIEW

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

SUN ROOF BACK AND NO NASTY SURPRISES 

FRONT SEATS OUT AND CARPET CLEANED - NOW TO CHECK THE FLOORS

PREVIOUS REPAIR AND ALL GOOD DRIVER SIDE

DRIVER AND PASSENGER SIDE - AGAIN NOTHING SO FAR TO WORRY ABOUT

FRONT SEATS OUT AND NO RIPS OR BOLSTER DAMAGE 

ENGINE BAY AS IT CURRENTLY IS 

THE BATTERY AREA LOOKING GOOD TOO

SURFACE RUST AND ALSO THE WING TO INNER WING SEAM IS SURFACE RUST.

IRMSCHER WHEEL AND LOTS OF LOOSE WIRES TO SORT 

I will update this more and more as I go on :-)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mike. said:

Looks like you have landed lucky with this one, must have been well cared for by the previous owners :thumbup 

Thank you Mike, this guy had owned it for many ,. many years . His son started to restore it for him a while back but gave up.   He had sprayed both rear panels and it was not a good job so they will need to be done again .   

Nice! Definitely looks like one of the better ones! A bit of a rare machine so well worth doing what's required to make it top notch again! Will look forward to following your progress. 

I notice it's one of the last of the original Imscher batch to be registered (March 87) and has no MOT history online so been off the road for a long time. 

Just now, Monaco Blue said:

Nice! Definitely looks like one of the better ones! A bit of a rare machine so well worth doing what's required to make it top notch again! Will look forward to following your progress. 

I notice it's one of the last of the original Imscher batch to be registered (March 87) and has no MOT history online so been off the road for a long time. 

I Didnt know there was an Irmscher batch to be honest. It does have a three piece rear spoiler which I thought was only on the Coupe?? Im not really up to speed on these yet so keen to learn everything I can about them.  

15 hours ago, H11poc said:

I Didnt know there was an Irmscher batch to be honest. It does have a three piece rear spoiler which I thought was only on the Coupe?? Im not really up to speed on these yet so keen to learn everything I can about them.  

There's a couple of threads on here about them (will try and find them), but in the meantime have a look here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opel-Manta-GTE-Exclusive-Limited-Edition-1986-UK-Market-Leaflet-Sales-Brochure-/182758786895

The hatch was the rarer of the two. Monaco Blue was the more common colour. The 3 piece rear spoiler was the same on the Exclusive hatch as all the other hatches.

Edited by Monaco Blue

18 minutes ago, Monaco Blue said:

There's a couple of threads on here about them (will try and find them), but in the meantime have a look here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opel-Manta-GTE-Exclusive-Limited-Edition-1986-UK-Market-Leaflet-Sales-Brochure-/182758786895

The hatch was the rarer of the two. Monaco Blue was the more common colour. 

Thank You for that , and also until I am given the spares by the previous owner I dont know if i will have the original stereo or not. I am aware it was made by Philips but I do not know what model was in the 1987 Exclusive. Do you still have the original in yours?? If so then what model is it?? 

The previous owner also worked for JVC and has changed the door speakers to JVC. The rear speakers are still there and original.    

For me , of all the classics I have owned I have always started from the inside out for some reason.  We all have our own ways I guess.

41 minutes ago, H11poc said:

Thank You for that , and also until I am given the spares by the previous owner I dont know if i will have the original stereo or not. I am aware it was made by Philips but I do not know what model was in the 1987 Exclusive. Do you still have the original in yours?? If so then what model is it?? 

The previous owner also worked for JVC and has changed the door speakers to JVC. The rear speakers are still there and original.    

For me , of all the classics I have owned I have always started from the inside out for some reason.  We all have our own ways I guess.

You're looking for a Philips DC752 as per the photo here:

So far I have removed the water pump as well as many other bits from the engine bay , those pics will come later though !  Have cleaned off the bonnet , spoiler and cut it back just to see how it looks under 15 years of grime, well not bad at all. Now that filler has been taken back near the front of the bonnet that can be repaired and blended in.  It is starting to look great from the front... I don't have the metal strip that goes between headlights and bumper though. Maybe previous owner will find it when he goes back to his garage next week. Here is a picture taken just now with most of the interior bar the drivers seat in .  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, H11poc said:

I don't have the metal strip that goes between headlights and bumper though.

The Exclusive's didn't have that strip fitted as standard. Nowadays, some restorations have it fitted and some don't. Given the gap visible at the front of yours, fitting it might be a good idea. Whether you leave it black or paint it body colour is your choice but body colour would look good. 

4 minutes ago, Monaco Blue said:

The Exclusive's didn't have that strip fitted as standard. Nowadays, some restorations have it fitted and some don't. Given the gap visible at the front of yours, fitting it might be a good idea. Whether you leave it black or paint it body colour is your choice but body colour would look good. 

AH ! if it wasnt standard then maybe that will be fine. Although I see what you meant about the gap.

The latest update !     Well, lots of wiring and messing around. I have finally worked out the headlights thanks to this forum. I now have sidelights and dipped beams on the outer and then all four on full beam when i pull the stalk. I have installed a new relay as the old one was wired incorrectly. 

Plenty of connection issues with the indicators and I have to remove both side repeaters, both rears and the front driver side and clean the contacts before I finally go them all working both sides.

I struggled with the heater all day . The fan did not come on.. After some searching on here and then removing the plug in the engine bay,m taking off the cover and spinning the fan the blower started working. However it only works on position TWO but I will take that for now... 

Slowly but surely everything is starting to come back to life and work...    But I removed the glovebox radio surround today and am faced with a random selection of wires... I do have the Haynes manual but if anyone knows the connections to the clock , cigar lighter. cigar lighter bulb and radio then I would be extremely grateful.  

Once all this is wired up and I put the interior glove box trim and so on then I can try to start the car.

The question that remains is am I supposed to hear a fuel pump when i turn the key to position 2?? I dont hear anything at all. This worries me a little unless I have a mechanical pump??

Anyway , thats todays update so if someone does know the 1987 clock/./cigar lighter/radio wires and their colours please do let me know.

Enjoy the rest of Sunday :-)

Paul

On a GTe the fuel pump only comes on when you crank the engine, it then switches a relay to be live when running.

You can test the fuel pump by running a wire from a permanant12+ in the fuse box to the fuse for the pump, with the ignition off and everything quiet you can hear the pump work.  look on the fuse box cover for Einspritzenlagen and the fuse number, From memory its number 7 but I will check later.

• 2 months later...

As you know there are issues with my manta for t

he MOT - just a few bits that unfortunately I cannot do .. here are some pictures of the work.  

Each chassis rail has rotted on the outside - the garage checked the inner part and it is ok. It had been repaired by the previous owner but he was worse than welding than me, and I cannot weld !!

Uploaded Images

GOSH - I messed that up.. Basically two small sections of the chassis rail - inner skin is fine , the garage said its just a small section of outer on both sides. The read subframe mounts to chassis needs to be re-welded as shown in pictures and also the handbrake cable needs changing on one side as it is frayed.

The battery was not secure because i had the battery clamp in the boot as I removed it to charge it, The window wiper front passenger side rubber is torn but that a repiar I will do before sale.

That's all that was wrong with the car to his knowledge and he would have passed the MOT today if those were corrected.

personally i am out though, its an A series Manta or another Corvair for me now.  I don;t have the time right now or the inclination to find a welder and find a couple of chassis legs.

What you see in the pictures is what needs doing.

Tomorrow when the car returns i will take many pictures as I have put a lot of time and effort and money into this.

Private plate - D25 (december 25th ) JPW will come with the car - valued at over a thousand pounds on its own.

Paul

The thing is you can see where the previous owner repaired the outer skin but did not really do a very good job.  I can only go by what the garage said and showed me and the rest of the chassis legs were solid..   The jacking points had been done properly which was a huge relief.