Ascona A Voyage, common as muck

1900SR

For a long time I've wanted an Ascona A, preferably a Voyage (yeah right, like one of those is going to turn up!). Over the years a couple of Voyage projects have turned up (the latest one a few weeks ago and featured on this very forum), but I've not had the money or the skills to sort them out. I've also wanted for a long time a car sold by the garage I used to visit as a kid, Bridge Motors in Skellingthorpe. I missed out on an Ascona B saloon about 15 years ago, and haven't seen another since (for sale or otherwise).

Then, on Thursday night I saw a post on Facebook linking to an ebay auction for a Voyage (Thanks Paul). Described as 

1976 opel ascona showing only 
30 000 miles from new 
This has been sat for years and is being sold as a non runner / restaration looks solid underneath  see pictures this is a rare car as I can't find the same model for sale anywhere has keys and service book . log book will need applying for 
Viewing welcome 

Interesting, oh, and it's in LIncoln, getting more interesting. A quick look at the photos, it looks quite clean, and one shows a partial registration plate, WTL 75. That's a Lincolnshire registration, could this be a Bridge Motors car? Probaby not as it was registered in 76, but the photos make it look like an earlier car, chrome overriders and only 2 air vents in the dash. It's probably been imported in 1976, maybe by a member of the armed forces, lot of RAF bases around these parts. Still, It'd be rude not to go and see it. 

I phoned the seller, and arranged to go and look at it the next day (Good Friday). On arriving at the yard there in all it's glory was a K registered Ascona. In the metal the paint wasn't as good as the photos suggested, but it all appeared to be solid. One wheel arch trim was missing, and the drivers front wing it should've been on was dented at the bottom. I'm hopeful that can be straightened. Crawling under the car it all looked good again, sills seem to be solid, chassis rails solid, jacking points solid. It doesn't look like it'll need much welding at all. Inside the car is filthy, but looks to be a near mint interior under all the muck.

It turns out the car was parked up in a barn in 1976, and the owner passed away. It has sat there ever since until this last week when the guy I bought it from pulled it, and an old Austin A35 van, out. There are a few small dents on the car, possibly due to it having been covered in all sorts of farm detritus over the years.

A bit of bartering I agreed a price with the seller which was a bit more than I'd hoped for, but less than he'd been offered over the phone, and included delivery to my house 10 miles away.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Edited by 1900SR
  • Like 6

I'm not sure if I'm stupid or brave, but wanted to change the wheels over to a set that with tyres that would hold air, so I gingerly tried the jacking point for strength. No nasty creaking or crunchy noises, and the car went up with the jack.

While the wheel was off I took a quick pic of the chassis rail.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...