Flywheels

MikeFiacre51

I am working on a project with a Getrag 240 gearbox. The flywheel I have managed to source is an early Vauxhall Redtop "flat" flywheel. It has the correct 6 hole mountings for the cover but it is not actually completely flat but has a shallow recess of approx 2mm for the driven plate. I have a standard Quintin Hazel QKT176AF clutch kit I wish to use. Am I correct that the Manta B flywheel is completely flat? I want to check before I get the flywheel machined.

So if i am understanding you correctly you are trying to use a manta 1.8 clutch with a redtop flywheel.

My first question is why not just use a manta 1.8 flywheel if you are using a manta 1.8 clutch?

Because I have been unable to source a Manta B clutch at a reasonable price! The early Redtop flywheel will need skimming anyway so it would be simple to skim it flat. I'm just looking for confirmation that this is what the standard Manta B (QKT176AF) clutch cover is designed for.

9 hours ago, MikeFiacre51 said:

That should of course be unable to source a Manta B flywheel...

You do know that a red top flywheel has an eight bolt fitment to the crankshaft and the manta 1800 only has a six bolt fitment to the crankshaft?

This is indeed a minefield! I was basing my choice on a previous project with a Redtop and Manta gearbox but for this one I am using an 1800 Ecotech. Turns out it also has a 6 bolt pattern! Maybe I could just get the existing Ecotech flywheel machined flat. Can you confirm that the Manta B flywheel is flat? (If you have any need of and early Redtop flywheel...)

If you are after a 6 bolt flat flywheel for the engine have a look at the earlier 2.0 ohc engines like the c20ne and 20seh should be a few of those around or put a wanted advert up for a 1.8 manta flywheel, sure someone on here will have one. I know i've weighed in several over the years when going to an XE engine