Random downpipe question from a cheapskate

IanMc

As always I am seeking help from your superior minds...

Random question: does anyone know if Mk1 Carlton downpipes will fit my Cavalier Coupe?

My thinking is that the engines are very similar, if not identical, therefore the manifolds must also be similar or the same. Using that same logic, the running gear for the two vehicles must be very close, so clearances of nearby components should also be similar.

The reason for asking is that I recently got bought center and rear silencers for my 'significant birthday', but while I am doing that I would also like to free off the mounting bolts and change out the downpipes for new - basically so I can forget about the whole thing for many years.

While browsing Ebay last night, I noticed that Carlton downpipes c/w my third silencer could be had for just over £40 delivered. I have a blowtorch etc, so a bit of minor heating and bending wouldn't bother me if they were a close match.

As always your thoughts, comments and general help is appreciated.

hi ian. no the pipe from a carlton wont fit.it has a different sized flange although its of a similar style and will look similar in pictures.i have a carlton but have just had a look on ebay and cannot find anything for it. remember the carlton only had the cam in head engine up to 86 and anything for the aluminium series teo engines 1.8 or 2"0 have the exhaust on opposite side of head anyway.i dont have a spare so have been looking around for one. are you struggling to find a front pipe ? 

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your input. Yes I am aware of the different pipe end/flange, but a few minutes with an angle grinder would sort that out :lol:

I would like to change the downpipe so everything is new, but yes I am struggling to find one with the extra silencer to suit my car.

The Mk1 (CIH) Carlton stuff just looked close, so got my attention.

Does anyone know if the manifold bolt pattern and size is the same?

Edited by IanMc

3 hours ago, Shaun400r said:

There’s 1 just popped up on gumtree £50 was only used for 2 weeks if that’s any help 👍

Thanks Shaun, any chance of providing a link? - I can’t seem to find it.

The carlton manifold would definately fit onto a cav engine but still not sure if the pipe bends would clear the gap also if i remember correctly the carlton system is 52mm whereas the cav is 48 but id need to measure mine to be sure. 

As for the missing first box if you can find a 1.6 front pipe just add a silencer into it.a helpfull exaust factors will find you a suitable in-line box.i did it with mine cos i didnt like the sound of the tinny clamshell design of some boxes and fitted a proper oval type. Was a megane or laguna one 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, rusty321 said:

im fairly sure i have a manta 1800 front pipe if you need it 

Thanks for the offer rusty, but I am all sorted now.

Appreciate you posting though.

• 11 months later...
On 01/05/2018 at 12:17, rusty321 said:

im fairly sure i have a manta 1800 front pipe if you need it 

Hi 

I’m stuck for a downpipe set for my 79 Manta Coupe and am told most engine variants will still fit 2.0 s 

Dont suppose you still have the set ? 

Regards 

david 

Hi 

So an 1800 Manta must be a European model then . I wasn’t paying attention obviously to the cc’s .

I forget that  lot of members might have LHD cars in the UK or be members outside of the UK .

Plan B is make up a manifold in 50mm flexy steel pipe or plastic and then take it ( not trailer the car) to a fabricator .

Must pay more attention and not get over excited when I read the word “downpipes”

dave 

No an 1800 is standard uk model.(manta) All up to 83 were cam in head and then the 1.8 ally head engine was added .

obviously cavalier and ascona models only had cih up to their end in 81.

keep asking on here ,I'm sure someone will have a front pipe for you !