Ebay: 70K miles 1-owner 78 Silver SRB Hatch for sale

Lovely looking car!  No MOT advisories since 2006.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1978-OPEL-MANTA-SR-BERLINETTA-70k-ONE-OWNER/273105212510?hash=item3f9656d45e:g:bQwAAOSwkhNapQ3p

Lots of additional photos here: https://jpegbay.com/gallery/006836406-1.html#1

Edited by Monaco Blue

53 minutes ago, Titson said:

Hopefully whoever is lucky enough to buy her keeps and restores her totally original rather than messing around with it!

One would like to think that any prospective buyer will be sympathetic to the cause! The seller does say he would like it to go to someone in the OMOC so maybe a past or present member himself.  I have to agree with his wife's sentiments; why sell it. Keep it as it is and the value will only go one way.

Edited by Monaco Blue

I tried to buy this car about 5 weeks ago, fantastic guy to talk to, very genuine and totally transparent, I had a buyer for my SR Coupe and wanted to replace it with this as its the same as my very first Manta i owned way back in the early 80s so a bit of sentimentality kicked in.

But alas it wasnt to be, So watching the auction and will see where it ends up.  I would still like it and my offer to him still stands, he agreed its a very good offer and probably on market value, but, he would like a bit more and i appreciate that fact as it means a lot to him.

10 minutes ago, chrisb said:

I tried to buy this car about 5 weeks ago, fantastic guy to talk to, very genuine and totally transparent, I had a buyer for my SR Coupe and wanted to replace it with this as its the same as my very first Manta i owned way back in the early 80s so a bit of sentimentality kicked in.

But alas it wasnt to be, So watching the auction and will see where it ends up.  I would still like it and my offer to him still stands, he agreed its a very good offer and probably on market value, but, he would like a bit more and i appreciate that fact as it means a lot to him.

Oh dear, a bit of sentimentality on both sides is not an ideal situation but entirely understandable given it's a lovely looking and well cared for example.

It will be interesting to see what it gets up to on ebay. I'd guess £4500-£5000 perhaps, but I suspect the seller would like nearer £6000. It would almost be worth paying out the extra.

Everybody has a different opinion on values of Mantas these days, the current owner posted on facebook for an idea of values and the opinion from members of the owners club in the "know" for a B hatch auto was tops about 4k, which i tended to agree with, anything higher was getting into GTE money and is a lot more sought after by Manta folk.

The car is not without its faults and ideally could do with a respray (current owners view too) to erradicate all the 40 year old chips scratches etc and the bit of rust thats coming through etc, But not trying to detract what is essentially a nice tidy car.

I really hope it finds a good home and is fettled to bring it back up to A1 condition.

The current owner is a fantastic guy to talk to and deal with and will answer any questions honestly, one of the nicest guys ive ever had the pleasure of when talking to.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chrisb said:

Everybody has a different opinion on values of Mantas these days, the current owner posted on facebook for an idea of values and the opinion from members of the owners club in the "know" for a B hatch auto was tops about 4k, which i tended to agree with, anything higher was getting into GTE money and is a lot more sought after by Manta folk.

The car is not without its faults and ideally could do with a respray (current owners view too) to erradicate all the 40 year old chips scratches etc and the bit of rust thats coming through etc, But not trying to detract what is essentially a nice tidy car.

I really hope it finds a good home and is fettled to bring it back up to A1 condition.

The current owner is a fantastic guy to talk to and deal with and will answer any questions honestly, one of the nicest guys ive ever had the pleasure of when talking to.

Fair point. Having spent lunchtime going through all the additional photos on the link above at 'full size', it does need a fair bit of titivating here and there, and a respray as you say. This in itself will reduce the value somewhat. On the plus side the underside does look good.

I think you would be better keeping your Sapphire Blue Coupe (as just seen on Facebook after a clean). Now that does look like it's worth top Dollar! Very nice indeed!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Monaco Blue said:

Fair point. Having spent lunchtime going through all the additional photos on the link above at 'full size', it does need a fair bit of titivating here and there, and a respray as you say. This in itself will reduce the value somewhat. On the plus side the underside does look good.

I think you would be better keeping your Sapphire Blue Coupe (as just seen on Facebook after a clean). Now that does look like it's worth top Dollar! Very nice indeed!

Yes my Sapphire blue coupe is very nice thank you for your comments, i just have a "thing" for a nice silver B hatch, but thats just me. As i said before im a little sentimental as it takes me back to a time when i had mine and was newly married etc and a lot of extremely fond memories.

But also sentimental on the coupe as when i was 13 i went with my grandad in 1977 and picked up his brand new sapphire blue auto coupe from the main dealer in Reading.

He had 6 mantas in succession and ive had 33. Would be nice if i had the funds to have both sat side by side in the garage.

Edited by chrisb

15 minutes ago, Monaco Blue said:

Now that 's exactly what I was going to suggest! :)  You must be tempted! ....that would make it 34!

Yes but that means selling my mint original multi concours winning 1989 Golf Mk2 GTi,  thats done 26k from brand new and poeple in the Manta club who know me know what this cars like and know how i feel about it. Its been magazine featured and was on display at the nec classic car show on the Meguires stand last November. Its won many awards in my ownership and is going to be featured very soon in another publication thats out next month and will also be on the front cover.

Im really not sure im ready to part with it yet to be honest,

But have a real soft spot for that hatch.

Edited by chrisb
  • Like 1

Grief! Talk about a conundrum! I've seen photos of the Golf GTI (very nice it is too) and it's definitely not one you would want to part with. Likewise the blue Manta SRB.

I don't suppose just buying the hatch is an option without parting with one of the others. The easiest solution otherwise is to stick with what you have. The hatch would take a bit of fixing plus the cost of a decent respray., so additional expense.

As they say, what you've never had you'll never miss. Not sure I believe that though! 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Monaco Blue said:

Grief! Talk about a conundrum! I've seen photos of the Golf GTI (very nice it is too) and it's definitely not one you would want to part with. Likewise the blue Manta SRB.

I don't suppose just buying the hatch is an option without parting with one of the others. The easiest solution otherwise is to stick with what you have. The hatch would take a bit of fixing plus the cost of a decent respray., so additional expense.

As they say, what you've never had you'll never miss. Not sure I believe that though! 

The more i think about it i should just keep the Golf and the coupe, they are both very nice cars and im very lucky to have them.

45 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Dont sell em, stack em, think of it a your own private bank vault! Car lifts are cheap! Thinking of a mk1 golf myself, something different! 

Go on Get a mk1, Great cars to drive and an investment too, cant go wrong.

Hi chrisb,

I understand your conundrum...that Manta hatch is nice but your Manta coupe is very nice too?!  Same colour as my Manta coupe.

You mention that your grandfather bought a new sapphire blue Manta B ....do you recall it's reg number? (Hardly my car? ..originally an S-reg)

On 16/03/2018 at 11:07, Berlinetta said:

Hi chrisb,

I understand your conundrum...that Manta hatch is nice but your Manta coupe is very nice too?!  Same colour as my Manta coupe.

You mention that your grandfather bought a new sapphire blue Manta B ....do you recall it's reg number? (Hardly my car? ..originally an S-reg)

The reg was UDP 3S. I found the car many years ago in Reading for sale but a trader had it and we couldnt agree on a price so i walked away from it, a few years later after my grandfather had passed away i went and found the house again and spoke to the trader who informed me that the car sat in a field for a few years after that and was then scrapped.

19 hours ago, ®evo03 said:

Manta coupe pics needed, and golf too! B)

20160922_135616 (1).jpg

20170430_170703.jpg

20170422_131014.jpg

20160311_162419.jpg

20160408_181804.jpg

20160408_181820.jpg

20160408_181953.jpg

20171110_111147.jpg

20171201_152300.jpg

20171201_152402.jpg

20180107_102536.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ®evo03 said:

Both very nice cars, credit to you, but they do need another to compliment them, maybe a manta hatch! :thumbup

Thank you for the comments,  Unfortunately its down to space im afraid as i have these as well !!!

20160528_135736.jpg

IMG_20180210_212028_187.jpg

1 minute ago, chrisb said:

I was watching till the end. I have a feeling it's way off the reserve as it's a fair bit under my offer.

I think the fact it it really needs a respray and a bit of remedial work will have kept the bids lower.

Suspect the owner may just hold on to it given what you say about your own higher offer. Of course, if he does it gives you time to offload one of the 2 VW campers! :)

• Haha 1

It has found its current market value, although i thought it might reach closer to £4K.

The Red GTE also ended up again at £4200, again making its current market value.

The Black 1.8 Hatch recently sold by myself & James Coghlan made £4150, i think there is a recurring theme here.

The market dictates the achievable values of cars not us, the only variables are time of year & availability/desirability of a model. 

Don't despair guys values are still rising, just faster for "A's" & Coupes.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rapierdave said:

It has found its current market value, although i thought it might reach closer to £4K.

The Red GTE also ended up again at £4200, again making its current market value.

The Black 1.8 Hatch recently sold by myself & James Coghlan made £4150, i think there is a recurring theme here.

The market dictates the achievable values of cars not us, the only variables are time of year & availability/desirability of a model. 

Don't despair guys values are still rising, just faster for "A's" & Coupes.

I think the Black hatch you sold Dave was a belter for the money, I would have paid that in a heartbeat knowing the car from way back and the previous owner pretty well.

And it didnt need any work,  Like you say the market place seems to be around that figure for a hatch, just some are better than others in that price band, and yours was probably one of the best.