Manta b coupe roof

peter evans

If it’s any help I was at the breakers yard today and I know it’s not a Manta roof but there is a calibra there with an excellent rust free sunroof if it’s to cut out the dreaded rot on the manta sunroof.

Surprised no one ever cut a roof, got it moulded, and a GF, skin produced, the materials used now, especially the use of inserted strengthening plates, section, bars, ribbed sections, all these could be placed on the inside, staggered away from car roof hoops.

The material available now, especially for bonding, why not, 

Pros, no rust, no sunroofs. Cons, probably against the rules, MSA, but didnt some of the works 400's have a aluminium roof, or titanium sheeting? Would it work for a road car? 

If fibreglass is used for bonnet, boot, spoilers, doors, skirts, arches, wings, 

They would save some cars, thats for sure

Edited by ®evo03

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the reproduction of manta roof panels in steel has been discused by the club. Not sure how they are progressing with it though but can't see it being a quick process

Certainly i would never have a fiberglass roof and i doubt it would actually be legal to do for a road car as it would be classed as a major modification to the bodyshell.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is it ok to cut a roof off and weld another on??? Wont you have to have some sort of VOSA or test after? I have been advised to sort my sunroof issues by cutting the roof off and putting another on....  I am sure there must be more to it then just an angle grinder and a spot welder??

2 hours ago, H11poc said:

Is it ok to cut a roof off and weld another on??? Wont you have to have some sort of VOSA or test after? I have been advised to sort my sunroof issues by cutting the roof off and putting another on....  I am sure there must be more to it then just an angle grinder and a spot welder??

I'm sure that there is somewhere on this forum how another member has done this, I'll go hunting it down now! 

remove all glass first and interior if you carefully remove the paint on the pillars towards the top of them you will find a section of braze slice through the outer skin carefully with a slitting disc and then using a paint removing wheel clean the paint off bottom of both gutters and top of both front and rear window apatures till you can see the spot welds buy a spot weld drill and very carefully drill all spot welds this cant be hurried but you can then peel away the outer skin off.you will have to change the stiffener across the center of the roof as well but if you get a second hand roof off a non sunroof car this will come with it.basically do exactly the same on replacment roof and plug weld new skin on .

having said all of that you do need reasonably skill with welder if you look on my rallycar thred ADZ4575 this how i did it

When the non sunroof skin was fitted to my Manta, it was picked off and the new skin fitted as they would have done in the factory. But skins are very rare and you also need the centre strengthening bar too which isn't on sunroof models.

Cutting through the pillars and welding just the outer skin (there's three layers in total) seems very unsafe to me.