Recommendations for spot weld drill

IanMc

Can any of you recommend the best type/style and size of spot weld drill(s) for our cars please?

I would rather buy on recommendation, than take a chance on something that might do the job and last for 5 minutes being burning out.

As always, your help and guidance is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Edited by IanMc

I have both the standard type spot weld drill bits but also recently bought one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111987092104 (but not from ebay)

Its really good if the spot weld isn't on the flatest panel on the world, which a lot aren't. The standard ones are hard to keep in the right place someimes and skate around rather than dril a neat hole. With this type you use a centre punch then the sprung pin in the tool sits in the hole and you slowly bring the teeth down to cut. Works really well and although its not cheap it does come with a whole load of replaceable cutting teeth and if used slowly with a cooling/cutting fluid they will last forever. I'm still on my first cutter and its done laods already

54 minutes ago, mantasrme said:

I have both the standard type spot weld drill bits but also recently bought one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111987092104 (but not from ebay)

Its really good if the spot weld isn't on the flatest panel on the world, which a lot aren't. The standard ones are hard to keep in the right place someimes and skate around rather than dril a neat hole. With this type you use a centre punch then the sprung pin in the tool sits in the hole and you slowly bring the teeth down to cut. Works really well and although its not cheap it does come with a whole load of replaceable cutting teeth and if used slowly with a cooling/cutting fluid they will last forever. I'm still on my first cutter and its done laods already

Thanks for that. To be honest that was the reason why I started this thread, as I had seen those advertised.

Now I am back to being undecided :lol:

I might just get one of each type and see how they compare.

Thanks again everyone.