Location of oil pressure sender/sensor

IanMc

Can any of you helpful people please direct me to the location of the oil pressure sensor/sender? My gauge goes to max as soon as you turn the key. I have read that this is normally caused by the wires being burned/melted together due to heat from the exhaust manifold

I have read that it can be spotted when looking up from under the area of the exhaust downpipes, but I didn't notice it.

All help appreciated.

Hi ian.me again !.   Its at the side of the engine by the back just undernesth the exhaust manifold.two wires go to it and yes they usually get melted by the hest from the exhaust or the connectors on the end get brittle with the heat.very hard to reach with the exhaust on but possible also worth a wiggle to see if theyre just loose.if you get round to taking off the exhaust thats always a good time to check and replace these wires and connections.removing the sender to clean terminals.

to be honest its a sod to reach from either way but i think with the exhaust on it will be easier from the top. i replaced(again) the wires to mine last year from the top.one was a regular spade and the other was a ring lug. managed it but with some grazed skin!.one wire operates the normal oil light and the other the guage.it will be obvious if theyre the wrong way.if your light works but the guage pops over to max then it will be most probably a loose connection on the sender or broken off.

a bad or missing connection makes it shoot to max and a short to eath makes it stay at zero.

the sender is mounted on a 90degree elbow .a good torch should show you what you are up against. good luck ian!!

Encouraged by the advice above, I decided that this morning I try to tackle this little job and get the oil pressure gauage working again (instead of just flying round to max as soon as you turn the key).

Being a coward, I thought I would start easy and gradually work through things hoping to find something like a broken wire to fix.

With all wires present and correct, I turned my attention to the black connector block behind the back of the engine protruding from the loom. Generally the connector was very grotty, so I set above cleaning everything up and popping the terminals out for a good going over with some sandpaper and a liberal spraying with WD40.

Imagine my surprise when I turned the key and the needle moved up to the start of the red and sat there with the warning light lit (as it did before). I started the car up and it was working normally! I only ran the car for a few seconds as the garage door was closed, but a couple of quick revs made the gauge needle rise and fall nicely, so all seems to be good.

It must be my lucky day!  :D  :thumbup

• Like 2