Hello everyone

andy_bruja

Hello, everyone, younger Manta fan here. I have been saving to buy a Manta since forever, and I finally got some significant amount of money together. This is also going to be the car I want to learn some mechanics and wrenching on. I don't know how dumb of an idea this is, but I guess I'll take the risk. Seeing in some posts that other people owned Mantas as students makes me a little less nervous. Sorry if this isn't the right thread, but I'd appreciate if some more experienced member can point me to a resource where I can get more familiar with the engine and servicing and other such things from before I buy one of these cars.Anything goes, as I couldn't find a lot of info while googling on my own. I'm specifically interested in a post 1982 Manta B, but I guess any will do. Ok, I'm rambling already. Also I currently live in the Netherlands-Germany area, but I don't speak Dutch or German fluently, only English, if that makes any difference. So, hello, OMOC!

Hi Alexandru,

Living in the Netherlands you should get in touch with the Opel Manta Owners Netherlands, do not worry about not speaking Dutch, i have been to many Opel Shows in the Netherlands and nearly all the Manta Owners speak very good English, there might be a Dutch Manta owner living very near to you. Here is a link to the Opel Manta Owners Nederland -

http://www.mantaclub.nl/index.php/links/mantaclubs

Speaking English means you can also get advice from the Opel Manta Club members in the UK here on this forum, we are always glad to help anyone who is into Mantas where ever in the world they are.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MANTAMAN said:

Hi Alexandru,

Living in the Netherlands you should get in touch with the Opel Manta Owners Netherlands, do not worry about not speaking Dutch, i have been to many Opel Shows in the Netherlands and nearly all the Manta Owners speak very good English, there might be a Dutch Manta owner living very near to you. Here is a link to the Opel Manta Owners Nederland -

http://www.mantaclub.nl/index.php/links/mantaclubs

Speaking English means you can also get advice from the Opel Manta Club members in the UK here on this forum, we are always glad to help anyone who is into Mantas where ever in the world they are.

Thank you very much, Ian. I will make an account on the Dutch site as well, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post in English there. I'll drop you a PM from time to time if I have a question or two, if you don't mind. 

17 hours ago, andy_bruja said:

I will make an account on the Dutch site as well, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post in English there.

If you carefully explain that despite living in the Netherlands you do not speak Dutch very well but you can speak English i am sure they will undestand, after all you are another Manta lover !

Hi Andy,

I am from Belgium and also member of the Dutch Manta Club. Think it is no problem at all writing in English at the forum of there web-site.

The problem is that there is not a lot of live at that forum, you can also log in at the "Opel forum.nl" , more popular but cause of "facebook" also not as alive as it used to be...

I am 54, and had all my "driving live" Manta's, am also "professionel" a car/truck/tank mecanical so don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions,

grts, Herman

5 hours ago, H-400 said:

Hi Andy,

I am from Belgium and also member of the Dutch Manta Club. Think it is no problem at all writing in English at the forum of there web-site.

The problem is that there is not a lot of live at that forum, you can also log in at the "Opel forum.nl" , more popular but cause of "facebook" also not as alive as it used to be...

I am 54, and had all my "driving live" Manta's, am also "professionel" a car/truck/tank mecanical so don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions,

grts, Herman

Thank you, Herman, I will definitely contact you once questions will start piling up. Actually, here's one. About how far will 6000-7000 euros will get me if we are talking post '82 Manta B? I mean overall condition. And how much money should I have available on the side to begin with in case something needs working on urgently? I don't need a car in workshop condition, just drivable and not a rust bucket. Also, did you find Mantas easy to work on when you had one for the first time?

6000-7000€ will be a good start to find one, but keep in mind there is always some work on such old cars.

Alink to a Belgian website:   https://www.2dehands.be/autos/2/manta/

In the Netherlands you can look at "Marktplaats.NL"

Look carefully to the "swan-necks" those chassisrails where the front suspension is bolded on, and the jackingpoints and rear wheelarches are also things to check.

Working on a Manta is very simple, oldschool and no hightec. Parts are rather easy to find, also cause the Ascona and Rekord had the same engines and gearbox.

The latest years the important bodypanels are again in production , look at "MM Dronten" so you can have a look at the prices of those parts.

And if you are not used to drive a car with rear traction; be the first time carefully with the accellerator in the rain!

Grts, Herman.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, H-400 said:

6000-7000€ will be a good start to find one, but keep in mind there is always some work on such old cars.

Alink to a Belgian website:   https://www.2dehands.be/autos/2/manta/

In the Netherlands you can look at "Marktplaats.NL"

Look carefully to the "swan-necks" those chassisrails where the front suspension is bolded on, and the jackingpoints and rear wheelarches are also things to check.

Working on a Manta is very simple, oldschool and no hightec. Parts are rather easy to find, also cause the Ascona and Rekord had the same engines and gearbox.

The latest years the important bodypanels are again in production , look at "MM Dronten" so you can have a look at the prices of those parts.

And if you are not used to drive a car with rear traction; be the first time carefully with the accellerator in the rain!

Grts, Herman.

I will keep looking as I gather up more money. I saw a, '82 ''Manta Magic'' Manta B on mobile.de for 7000 with a spare engine and gearbox, and I was pretty inclined for that deal, but it was sold pretty quick. Back to the search, I guess. But what about parts? Googling, I came up with two websites, altopelhilfe and another one with parts. How do people on the forum usually get replacement parts? Buy new, or source second hand?