Steven Gray

Tick over speed??

Everning I have a 1.8 and can't turn the tick over down anymore then 1250 rpm for some very strange reason.  I have turned out the two tick over screws to the point were there in my hand, it turned it down from 1500 rpm to 1250 rpm but that's it.  I really like my rpm to be just under 1000 as a rule so I'm in need of a little advice please. Thanks Steven 

Check if choke is engaged. Is static spark timing ok ? Any wacum leak ???

The chock is fine it cuts in when I start from cold as it should although I do rev it up very slitly to kick the chock straight off as it's upto almost 2000 rpm so I kick the chock off that brings it back down to 1250 rpm. All the pipes are fine and been checked.  Timing not sure?  It doesn't run Ritch/lean and runs really really good with loads of power.  Could it still be the timing if all apart from rpm is running spot on?? I thought if the timing was out it would run ruff,it's been alot of yrs since I played with a carburettor what's the electronic black box at the back of it and could that (if faulty)  be the problem. 

Edited by Steven Gray

the black thing is the automatic choke you can adjust it if my memory serves me right

If the black thing doesn’t work you can try clean out out the carb with the engine running,

Get the engine warm,remove thr air filter housing,get the revs up to about 3;000 rpm,then place your hand over the air inlet of the carb,

this will suck out any bits of dirt out of the carb and pulls a lot of petrol though the carb

DO NOT LET THE ENGINE CUT OUT as will be hard to restart the engine,if it starts to cut out give it a bit of throttle.

this is hard to explain you just have feel it 

I'll try that, the chock cuts in fine and it's had a few sprays of carb cleaner as well as red x so she's running sweet just fast tick over that's all. I think I'll leave it alone and after Xmas I want to get the carb rebuilt, it makes sence 

If cable has play, would the float be stuck open, rebuilding the carb would sort this, a restriction in the fuel supply would prove this, draining the carb, therefore restricting fuel flow,  plyers on the fuel inlet pipe.starve the carb, but not completely, but airleaks in carb would also create high revs.