Valve spring compressor

IanMc

TAP the vavle back into the clylinder head.That will remove the tension from the spring 

You can place the clylinder head on a flat bit a wood used a socket a little bit bigger than vavle colitis place the socket over The vavle a hit the socket 

The colitis should pop away from the vavle 

Hope this makes sense 

Thanks Wayne, appreciated.

I managed to get one free using that method, but the others didn’t budge.

Think I need to use a bigger hammer or have a second pair of hands so that I can get a better whack with the one I have. Not sure that anyone that has seen me using a hammer would be prepared to hold the socket in place for me though. :)

I was thinking to myself if it would be possible to make a long pivot lever that is held at one end by the rocker stud nut(s) and then bears on the spring cap as you push down on the lever. Of course it would need to have a hole to be able to retrieve the collets, but that’s only a suitable sized hole and a magnet really - just a thought...

Edited by IanMc

I've found that the collets and valve cap stick to the valve stem, i give them all a good whack with a soft faced mallet before attempting to use a valve spring compressor, also my valve spring compressor, just like one above, has a tube welded to the handle to extend it, it would work with a normal length handle, just makes it very easy to compress the springs.

Good morning. 

I found  that using  a big G clamp with  a socket placed  over the top of the valve  spring  does the job .

As you can get leverage  with the handle  of the G  clamp  with a suitable  bar slotted over the  handle to make life easier  when winding  the clamp down. 

Once you have  cracked  all of the valves  off.

Just fit the valve compression tool  in place  and you should have  no problem in compressing  the valve  spring to remove the  two collets. 

I hope that this helps  you  out.

Good luck😀

So.... problem solved!

I used a club hammer and a suitable sized socket and all valves are out, very easy to do.

For the rebuild I thought I would try one of these to compress the springs, prior to fitting the collets:

s-l500.jpg

I have done a trial compression of both inlet and springs and it has enough travel to do the job I need. Of course you can never have enough tools  :)

Thanks again for all your replies, much appreciated.

Edited by IanMc