Head bolts out, head wont budge - what now?

IanMc

As part of my mission to solve the reported 'valve problem' on my car I endeavored to remove the head this afternoon to further investigate (and fix) what appears to be a seized exhaust valve on cylinder number 2.

I removed the carb, manifolds, front cam bolts etc etc and then out came the head bolts - all going smoothly until now...  Basically the head is absolutely stuck solid, it wont budge at all.

So I appeal to the far more knowledgeable than myself - what do I do now to get it off?

I have tried:

- a few subtle strategically placed blows with a wooden block via my claw hammer - but nothing. Should I step up to a club hammer?

- placing a socket extension in the various ports on the manifold side and levering it up with an extension tube - no dice.

I am worried about cracking the head if I get too aggressive with it.

Help required please.

Hi Herman,

Many thanks for the very fast reply.

Yes I had remembered to remove those two bolts - but you post still made me doubt and I went out to double check  :)

But you leverage point was the life saver - I put a chucking great lever in there and 'pop' up it came - so THANK YOU!!!

So here it is: the offending seized valve in all its glory.

R84liiv.jpg

jF10Lxx.jpg

f78yjsA.jpg?1

Now I can get stuck into sorting out the valve, decoking, regrinding all of the valves etc then rebuilding and hopefully get the old girl running again....

Thanks again Herman!

1 hour ago, andyc said:

Might be worth getting the head converted for unleaded petrol while its off

I have considered that, but at the moment my thinking is just to get it running to see if any other problems become apparent.

If all is well and the car does make it back to the road, then I can look at this again then.

Thanks for the suggestion though Andy.