Auction: 83/84 RHD Manta 400 Silver

When this 400 came to Billing ten or more years ago it had just ben restored by Marty Drennen ( I think i have the name correct, appologies if i haven't ) The standard of restoration was exceptional, in the evening light you could look along the side at a highlight and there was even the faintest ripple in any panel.

The issue of the number of righthand drive 400's is complicated by the FIA Homoligation rules allowing a car to be altered from LHD to RHD and vica-versa as needed for which every country it resided in. I was always under the impression that there a limited number of 400's built RHD and this one is the only Astro Silver RHD 400.

I dreamt of owning this car when i saw it for the first time at Billing, i still want it now and unfortunatly i'm just as likely to own it now !

This is a really excellent 400 and I'd be amazed if it doesn't smash its rather conservative estimate.

This particular car was converted to RHD in Ireland by Pentlands Vauxhall dealers when it was virtually new. Original parts were used for the conversion and even under close inspection is is very hard to tell that it is anything other than totally standard, such is the quality of the conversion.

On the topic of RHD Manta 400's, there was never really an "official" RHD version. Tony Fall had a RHD Manta 400 commissioned for Vauxhall to evaluate in 1982, with a view to it becoming a road production version. It was a special "one off" order from the Opel factory and when it arrived in the UK it was registered as DPP 117Y.

From what I gather, there was little appetite for this to enter the Vauxhall model line up and the car ended up in the storage area of W Grose Vauxhall in Northampton, where it stayed for a number of years covered in dust (they were one of the original DOT dealerships). In 1990, DPP 117Y was purchased by Thurlby Motors in Lincolnshire who bought it along with all the associated paperwork and notes relating to the meetings that were held with GM executives about the project. It was professionally restored and spent the rest of its life in the Dealership showroom, as possibly the most awesome exhibit ever. Richard Walsh (the owner and still very active boss of Thurlby Motors) is a petrolhead through and through and has had various interesting cars and projects come through the doors over the years.

When the dealership decided that they needed to free up This car was for sale via the OMOC magazine in 1994 for an amazing £12k (Oh hindsight etc etc). It was sold to another dealership up in Scotland I believe and sometime later, into private ownership. Being a 1982 car, it is a "pre Facelift" shell with a two slot front end and 2 air intakes on the scuttle panel. If I recall, it also has the earlier Blitz Interior, which makes it a very interesting and very rare beast indeed!

If I could pick a favourite Manta from any that I have seen in the 29 years of being a member of this club, it would without a doubt be DPP 117Y and I am always slightly eaten away knowing that I could have bought this car 23 years ago.

DSC09845.JPG

DSC09844.JPG

• Like 2

An interesting history lesson above re DPP117Y.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing, whoever owns it today is sitting on a goldmine!

It was MOT'd back in March with 20K miles recorded, and has been MOT'd every year (with no advisories whatsoever) since 2006 by the same garage in Weston-Super-Mare. Registered in Luton on 9/9/82 and it changed hands in 1996 and again in 2003. Currently on its 4th owner.

I believe so..... (I tend not to name folks on the forum however, at least not without their permission.)

Personally, I think having 3 400's is possibly a bit greedy and he needs to let the road car go to a new loving home. Im quite prepared to stump up the asking price quoted in the summer '94 edition of Manta Magic!!!!

22 hours ago, gtwist said:

The owner of DPP 117Y now I believe is Kerry Michael who owns the 2 Andrews Heat for Hire 400 rally Mantas

That would make sense as he owns the pier at Weston Super Mare & thats the town where the car gets its MOT's.

As the area rep i'll have to see if he'd be willing to display his car at next years Bristol Classic Car show, we would definitely make room for it on our stand !

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I viewed the car and whilst it certainly looked visually stunning, what 400 doesn't the car in my super-critical eye was not a 133/135 rated car.

Items of mention where some hairline splits in the paint at the base of the NS C-pillar and NS A-pillar, the drivers seat had some thread wear on the outer-edge of the seat bolster and application of the silver on the roof was very slightly inconsistent. Now I am saying I'm being super critical (my work has really made me focus in on the detail) and I did consider the car myself, but I have to say the one thing that kind of turned me off was the fact that the car had been converted to RHD. I completely understand it was done properly by a Pentlands Vauxhall but for me this would always limit the true nature and value of the car and this in part may have also hindered the bidding too as its unlikely that many of the European bidders will have gone for the car.

Just my 2pence worth and what I would like to think is an honest assessment of the car with the minor areas mentioned being consistent with the fact she was restored in 2005.....BTW jacking-points and swan-necks in excellent condition!

At £50600 (inc Commission) you'd have to say it was a great buy for a piece of super rare Opel Motorsport

13 hours ago, GT2400 said:

I viewed the car and whilst it certainly looked visually stunning, what 400 doesn't the car in my super-critical eye was not a 133/135 rated car.

Items of mention where some hairline splits in the paint at the base of the NS C-pillar and NS A-pillar, the drivers seat had some thread wear on the outer-edge of the seat bolster and application of the silver on the roof was very slightly inconsistent. Now I am saying I'm being super critical (my work has really made me focus in on the detail) and I did consider the car myself, but I have to say the one thing that kind of turned me off was the fact that the car had been converted to RHD. I completely understand it was done properly by a Pentlands Vauxhall but for me this would always limit the true nature and value of the car and this in part may have also hindered the bidding too as its unlikely that many of the European bidders will have gone for the car.

Just my 2pence worth and what I would like to think is an honest assessment of the car with the minor areas mentioned being consistent with the fact she was restored in 2005.....BTW jacking-points and swan-necks in excellent condition!

At £50600 (inc Commission) you'd have to say it was a great buy for a piece of super rare Opel Motorsport

An interesting appraisal. You might have a point about it having been converted to RHD, however, if that was a stumbling point and has helped it stay in the UK then that's no bad thing IMHO. Hopefully it might be seen at future shows.

£50K is a lot of money and well beyond the reach of Mr Average. Relatively speaking, it was still a bit of a bargain though.

Edited by Monaco Blue

• 9 months later...