Mint Manta?

opel2000

Well I got my Irmscher Exclusive hatch delivered yesterday.

And how surprised I was to see such a damn good car....

Doors that shut, Excellent Glass, Superb window and door seals, windows that don't leak, a bonnet catch that works. Seats that are in excellent condition just need a clean, a carpet that is possibly the best Manta carpet I've ever seen.

All the hideous niggly bits I normally have to do such as spending a day getting the door glass to seal correctly, and farting about with those stupid little quarter glass retaining hinges GRRRR. and trying to attach the front bumper steel bracket back onto the ABS bumper before spending hours filling and sanding and prepping......... This car in many respects is absolutely MINT

Everything is there the car is complete except drivers side wing, (N/S wing a bit suspect, need to have a good look) and the black strip that sits between the nose and the bumper.

Car got delivered late yesterday (long story) so only had a short time to see what was there in the car and fit a few bits into place before giving her a wash and a quick wipe down.

Abot to go and get a battery and check out the engine bay and fuel lines before seeing if she will start and what does and doesn't work on her.

Piccies...... From first receiving her, to a quick wash and wipe.......

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, opel2000 said:

trying to attach the front bumper steel bracket back onto the ABS bumper

I had a front bumper that the little threaded plugs had pulled/split out of it. i built two bracket welded onto the steel carrier that had two flat pieces aligned with the tops of the indicator recesses, i was then able to put bolts up through the bumper and bracket above the indicator lens where it was very hard to see them.

Looks like you've got a good'un there Clive, undoubtedly there will be some horrors when you start poking around the usual rot spots but nothing you won't be able to tackle.

Well she's a runner....

So all I need to do is get the floor repaired and get the seat in so I can drive her,

There are one or two issues.... I have no rear wipe (i have wash) no brake lights, and FFS no heated rear window (Godsake how many times have I had heated rear window issue with Manta's)

Revs are a little high at 2000 rpm but could be anything, from dizzy out to the airflow meter adjustment bypass thing, to sticky throttle cable or the stop screw on accelerator pedal. judging by bodged repairs in the footwell area I'm going for the latter. Just need the weekend to come so I can shed some light on this and start getting stuck in. But I need to ensure everything is working first before I start undoing anything so I know it would have been something I have done if something doesn't work. (thoughts come to mind of "why the hell did I bin that timing light, I'll never have a car that needs this again he said")

Also gauges are showing that there is ..... No charge from alternator, (which means my new battery will be stuffed in no time and where the fhell is that multimeter that Bettyswallox gave me?) Oil Pressure really high and needle flicks over to full pressure on ignition before firing up (usually cables wrong way round) Temp gauge showing a Bit too high, but could be true, heater was working well and quite warm..... Fuel gauge shows empty but moved up a little the other day when I dropped a gallon in her.

Corrosion looks to be mainly floorpan and lower chassis rail apart from the lower A pillar on passenger side (drivers side is fine) And sorry people out there who are struggling with corroded and totally fcuked chassis rails (swan neck) but mine really are not too bad at all....

The exterior chassis rail around the bolt though is not so good, and crossmember will be dropped out and this area will be tackled, Drivers side again is excellent on the outside of the swan neck, but can't as yet see the inside chassis rail.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well, got a little bit done on the Manta.

Biggest problem so far was removing the shite that some muppet had put in place.... and pretty unsure what sort of welder this "Muppet" was but in my years of welding we have seldom use Silicon Sealer and "Filler" WTF!

Anyway,,, Seems like the only bit of floorpan hanging on for life to the sill was the chassis number area,  Outrigger totally stuffed as you can just about make out, and have cobbled a piece up at work to replace this section, Straight chassis section to "Bolt area of swan neck" was supplied with purchase, and rather than fcuk about patching up sections of floor pan i bought a floorpan off of Nat at Retropower. 

Well just tried to put up a story line of work and progressive pics but can't seem to do it.............

So here is floorpan cleaned up ready for cutting, and repair.

Edited by opel2000
I wanted pics to be put in between text but cannot do.....

Ooooh "Replies have merged" well that's something lol.

Rear of floorpan has had most of the repairs done, finished just short of the seat mounting bolt, the floorpan repair section should cover most of the rest.

But with this area of the car being particularly week, as sills are shot to pieces too (replacements came with purchase) I simply cannot go jacking the car up and hacking what little rigidity is left in the car, out. as the A panels and A pillars are pretty damn bad, and is going to be dead easy to get a banana shaped chassis/car, if I'm not careful.  I can't as yet weld braces into place as car is stored outside and "ALL WORK" will be done outside, and I (As yet) have nowhere to store doors or anything else removed off of the car, and cannot leave it open to the elements (he says)

So plan is to put strength and rigidity back in wherever I can with minimal jacking/stress on the shell for now. So attacked the drivers A panel, inner wing, BASTARD washer bottle area (I hate that bit) and wing rail.

Don't know wtf that right angled sticky up bit was in the A panel area, but had nothing to do with me and did get removed as soon as I had tried to keep the correct line of things, inner pic shows the folds ready to take the floorpan "I Hope"

Carried back on the to the wing rail, and this bit looked like it was going to be a bitch, but turned out to be dead easy in the end, only took about 40 mins to repair this.

• Like 2

Scared the fcuking life out of me when I chopped that area out, but had to be done to get back to good metal, and was ridiculously easy..... But then again i work with steel all the time.

So coming together slowly, Weather has been a bitch to me stopping me getting a lot done, it's been bloody cold out there doing that lot, but cannot be shuffling around in the wet and the cold, next step will be to tackle the seams on the inner wing there as you can see in the last pic, I would really like to do that area well, but all work so far has been done with a hammer and an angle grinder and no other tools/tooling (ok yeah it shows lol) but may nip over to see my old mate Nat to see if I can use a bit of his kit to help replicate this area. all the wing rail work needs a good tidy up on the inside but I don't mind a bit of unneatness as this shell needs to be strong for my future plans. but I should be able to tidy this up so the eye will never see it.

Next step will be to tackle the passenger side wing rail, A panel and A post, got a lot of awkward shit out of the way, and decided to make life a bit easier on the passenger side by popping over to Retropower and using Nats patterns to cobble up and A panel,,,,,, Well Stewart mainly did a lot of that for me at Retropower, but we made up a drivers A panel, passenger side is different,,,,,, 

• Like 6

Impressive repairs given you are doing it outside in December!! Hardly ideal conditions. Some might call you mad! :mellow:

Liking that N/S repair panel you have fabricated.

On 29/12/2017 at 18:34, opel2000 said:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Looks like you have completed area behind headlight, that annoying double seam, did you keep the double seam? They are a pain to repair, and it makes sense why opel did it this way! last photos looks like its all painted ready to rock, 

At this stage myself, one side is done with seam, guess im gonna have to do same on other side, should have kept seam flat and facing front

Great job, fair play for outside work, not for the faint hearted