Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

....and all fitted, tested and working as it should. :thumbup  :D  I'm feeling pretty pleased with that to be honest.

OK it took a couple of hours, but it cost me absolutely nothing and added to that I learnt a few things on the way too.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 2

Another free fix tonight.

I have been on the lookout for a wheel center for my Rostyles for the last couple of months, sadly without success.

Tonight I decided to have a go at fixing the broken spring clip on the back that hold it to the wheel - here it is:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

After levering out the spring part the cause of the thing not being fitting to the car was clear - two missing prongs...

I sorted through my 'assorted brackets' draw in the garage and found these little devils and thought that they had potential...

A bit of bending and drilling later and we had this:

A couple of dodgy self tappers were then added and cut off on the back and pushed it back into the outer housing:

And.... hey presto it actually works! All I need now is a skin graft to repair my fingers that I sliced a couple of time on the legs of the spring clip lol :lol::D

Cheers all

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mantaray said:

Would have been worth giving it a coat of paint before you put it back together, or maybe you did but didn't take a pic LOL

Good fix BTW.

Oops, never thought of that - thanks for the suggestion.

I’ll use some of my spare gallon of Black Hammerite for that....

Found our last night that when my car turns 40 = next April, it will become Road Tax and MOT exempt.

I knew about the tax, but not the MOT, apparently that’s being introduced in May this year.

Thats only 15 months away... 

Today's main job was to bleed the two front calipers after their rebuild.

This was achieved fairly quickly and painlessly, but I just felt that something wasn't quite right. Sure enough as I attempted to move the car forward and back under its own steam (with the auto box) for the first time in my ownership the brake pedal went almost to the floor - not exactly what I needed at that point...

So down on the floor to have a look behind each wheel and sure enough the NSR tyre was very wet on the inside wall. It seemed as though the Steel brake pipe had split. I guess given their age and the fact that the car has stood for ages, that isn't exactly a great surprise. All full set of home made brake pipes was on my job list, but that one has come forward on the priority list :D

So I cut the old one off and luckily the fittings unscrewed without any argument and I set about making up the new one. That was when I spotted that I only had one of the two male end fittings that I needed. So I am now waiting for nice Mr Postman to bring me a big bag of shiny fittings, enough to all of the others too of course

Have a good evening everyone.

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 1

A small update this evening:

- Painted the 2 x new wheel nuts that I ordered last week.

- Fixed the cigar lighter, or rather the socket really. Naturally this will be used to power accessories. Interestingly the element doesn’t seem to work, but as I don’t smoke it doesn’t matter in the slightest. The problem was simply corroded terminals. A few minutes with some sand paper and power was restored.

Enjoy your evening everyone.

Edited by IanMc

Going to be slacking off for the next few days as I wait for a few bibs and bobs to arrive.

Just because I won’t be getting my hands dirty though, doesn’t mean I’m doing nothing. I still have a lot of planning to do. 

We all know that one job always leads to five others, so it’s best to plan for thosecworst case scenarios and to be ready to do those jobs. It should reduce the overall stress level... he says hopefully   :)

As I had a few spare minutes and my nice new fitting had arrived, I thought I would make up my replacement NSR brake pipe.

As always, the final tweaking will be done on the car, but the shape is pretty close after using the old rusted one as a guide.

you will also be able to have a play with your clock when the one i posted today arrives. its a complete unit but swap fronts,hands etc if yours are better. only cost 2.90 to post so wel not be worruing about that.when you get round to doing your alternator let me know snd il tell you how to test the internal bits if you want to go down that route. cheers. 

1 hour ago, cam.in.head said:

you will also be able to have a play with your clock when the one i posted today arrives. its a complete unit but swap fronts,hands etc if yours are better. only cost 2.90 to post so wel not be worruing about that.when you get round to doing your alternator let me know snd il tell you how to test the internal bits if you want to go down that route. cheers. 

Wow, I don’t know what to say - apart from many thanks obviously...

That really is very generous Chris.

Thanks for ALL your help so far with my project.

I will find a way to repay you one day I promise.

Two tiny steps forward to report this morning.

The clock kindly donated by Chris (cam.in.head) is fitted and working - thanks again!

Just finished painting the spare wheel rostyle. The tyre was flat, so trying putting some into it. It took the air ok, but I could hear a small leak through the beading. So when the time is right I will get that sorted out by our local place.

Hopefully some more progress to come over the weekend.

A couple of jobs done this afternoon.

As I needed to replace the NSR rigid brake line I thought I would do the following at thew same time:

- replace the rear wheel brake cylinders (on order, so will be done as soon as they arrive), Thanks again go to Chris (cam.in.head) for the tip off regarding some being sold off cheap on Ebay). You could not buy a seal/repair kit for the price that they were going for, so no brainer really!).

- make up a new brake pipe for the OSR brake and the rigid line that goes to the flexi just in front of the rear axle.

- paint the rear axle and nearby parts. My thinking was to make the new brake pipes look even better by giving the axle a coat of shiny new paint.

Here is a few photos. Sadly it looks as if my LED floodlight has messed with my phone settings for the 'before' shots - apologies...

Before:

After:

2 x New brake pipes:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.

I also removed the brake 'T' piece/splitter that bolts to the top of the axle and cleaned and painted the bracket, as like everything else on this car it was rusty.. :)

The T'T' piece was blown through with compressed air.

depending on the level of restoration you are going for i remember a paint spray kit that was available from one of the restoration company’s a few years ago it was if i remember correctly a combination of coloured paints that you spray lightly over each other  to give various bare metal brakets the “as new”anodised look. i have managed to recreate a similar effect by using a base gold mettallic and a light top coat of light green mettallic and a very final coat of orange or red,followed by a clear laquer top coat.hard to explain and needs some experimentation with the colours and amounts  but does give a good effect.ideal for washer bottle mounting,bonnet stay,distributor cap clips,and various other parts. also spraying the brake pipes another colour other than copper is a good idea. i think originally they are a dull silver grey but maybee this is taking it all a. it too far. does look good thou ! !

• Like 1

This morning quick job before we go out....

Yesterday I had to remove the NSR coil spring so that I had access to the seat area for painting. So today I decided that an attack with a wire brush and some paint was in order to generally tidy this part up.

Ignoring the manual instructions about undoing the suspension and shocker mounts to be able to lower the axle and free the spring, I simply used my set of cut down spring compressors;

Before:

After:

Hopefully I can squeeze in on the other side of the car later to get the OS spring out and repeat the job. If not, I will wait until the new wheel cylinders arrive, finish the NS then move the car so that I can do the OS more comfortably.

Have a good day all.

Edited by IanMc

More brake pipe work this evening.

After cutting the NSF rigid pipe off yesterday, leaving the mangled fittings behind (mangled by someone else btw), tonight I set out to remove them.

After a bit of a struggle I managed to free them both. 

My attention then turned to the OSF rigid line. I decided to cut the pipe in front of the fittings again so that I could get my ring spanner easily on both fittings (this side were not mangled...). Luckily the Gods were on my side this time and both were easily removed.

This gave me a nice template, so I made up a replacement pipe.

That was it for tonight I am afraid.

By the way, is it possible to buy the clips that retain the flexi pipes in the brackets?, both of mine seem to have rusted away to almost nothing... I will have a look on eBay later, but thought that one of you may have some pointers.

Cheers all.

More brake pipe work tonight.

I removed the two long pipes that run from the master cylinder across the bulkhead to the front/rear pressure regulator.

Both came away easily without cutting off the end fittings. Naturally, I then made up replacements.

The only one I have left now is the main front to back line. This will probably be done at the weekend now, when (hopefully) I can get all of these lovely shiny new pipes fitted.

Mmmm shiny lol :)

Brake pipe fitting work tonight.

The two front ones that pass through the inner wings were first. For some reason the OS decided if wanted to play silly buggers and it took 45 minutes to get fitted and central in the hole 🙄😳

In stark contrast the NS was on in about 10 minutes...

The last on to be fitted tonight was the top one of the pair of long ones that runs across the bulkhead.

Today's main job was to remove the old long front to back brake pipe and make up a replacement, then get all of the other pipes fitted that I had made up over the last few days. As with these things, it didn't quite go to plan (does it ever? :rolleyes:), but they are now all on and looking lovely.

Here's a selection of random photos if anyone's interested. By the way, make sure that you take a look at the 'free flow' rear 'silencer'... :lol:

Rest assured they look better now than they do in the photos, as I have straightened out the kinks and generally farted around with them to make them look prettier. I just knew that I would forget at the end, so took the photos while I remembered lol 

Other jobs done along the way:

- re tightened the rocker cover gasket to get rid of an annoying oil leak. As always it leaked onto the exhaust manifold - it never the leaks the other side does it?!

Tomorrows jobs (hopefully):

- replace the OSR new wheel cylinder

- remove the OSR coil spring and paint

- paint the associated spring 'cup'

- try to find a 'volunteer' so I can try to get each corner bled.

Have a good evening everyone. :thumbup

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IanMc said:

Here's a selection of random photos if anyone's interested

We are! :) Keep up the good work!

You must be confident that fixing the bodywork and/or underside isn't going to interfere with all the work you have completed so far.