Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

18 minutes ago, IanMc said:

Did some undersealing last night around the NSF. Basically I did the inside of the 'new' wing, following its minor rust repairs and the whole of the inner wing area and rear side of the front valance.

At the same time I discovered some rust 'blisters' on the chassis leg, just in front and behind of the crossmember brace through bolt hole. Nothing nearly serious enough to warrant removing the whole outer skin, so I just ground everything back to good Steel, made up some small plates and welded them in. The largest plate was probably only about 25 x 20 mm, so it tells you that it was nothing too serious.

Perhaps it might be something that will come back to bite me again later, who knows?

Anyway, patches added, undersealing done - so that corner really is pretty much complete now apart from the final paint finish of course. So we keep moving forward  :thumbup

Be wary with chassis legs especially in the section you mention. Any rust you see on the outside of the swan neck is just the tip of the iceberg as they are double skinned there a notorious water trap and rust from inside out 😐

With hindsight, I may have made these 'blisters' sound worse than they probably are/were. While I was grinding them back, I didn't ever go through to the inner leg. As I didnt like to leave a recess where I had ground (on the basis of it looking weaker than original), I decided to put the plates over the top

Also while I was inside the cabin, replacing the floor at that same point, I did get a good look at the inner legs and they looked OK to me, certainly not seriously corroded or weakened or 'delaminating' like I have seen.

Mine were like that when I bought it in 86 . Just some slight bubbling of the outer skin. A few years later they were ground off and like yours were only confined to the outer chassis.leg section and the inner thicker piece was ok .small pieces were welded in .

your car does sound to be in excellent condition in this area ,as mine was at a similar stage way back then.!

mine needed larger pieces doing to the legs a couple of years ago but never as major as some cars seem to need.maybee cavs are better protected than later mantas !.

anyway seeing as you are now happy with the grinder and welder I wouldn’t worry .you can always do some more if needed in years to come . No need to repair bigger than needed .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

your car does sound to be in excellent condition in this area ,as mine was at a similar stage way back then.!

Probably about the only area of my car where the word excellent can be used.  :lol: :lol:

So the floor and chassis work in the NSF corner is complete.

Everything is now ground back, painted with POR15 and two coats of under seal have been added.

Tomorrow I hope to refit the crossmember to chassis brace (with the new bushes I bought recently) and, if I have time, rebuild the NSF suspension up again.

Then that corner will be totally finished!

Did I really just say that one corner would be finished?!?!  :thumbup

• Like 1

Another early start today (05:00), before it gets too hot in the garage. Just got back inside, so that’s a cheeky five and a quarter hours done today  :lol:  :thumbup

Anyway, some major progress this morning:

Refit NSF crossmember to chassis rail with new bushes and bolts etc - check.

Reassemble NSF suspension - check

Refit NSF road wheel - check

Another trial fit of NSF wing (needs another coat of underseal yet) - check

Fit new sound insulation to NSF foot well - check

Refit cork insulator/kick plate to foot well - check

Refit carpet to same area - check

Refit passenger seat (after freeing up the mechanism a bit more) - check

Tidy up the garage!!! - check

Havecs nice day everybody. 

I managed to sneak in another couple of hours this afternoon, after my Wife went off to the Gym  :D  :thumbup

This afternoon I cut out the rusty front and back bottom sections of the rear arch that I had grafter on (the remains of the NSF wing).

After making up some templates I managed to get both plates welded in, so the outer arch is now complete and solid again for the first time in who knows how long.

I also trial fitted the sill 'chrome' trim strips that Cavaliers have - it fitted perfectly!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Now all I need to do is to get the inner arch patches sorted out and the whole passenger side will have the rust cut out and new metal grafter in. I cant wait for that, that really will feel like a massive step forward. Hopefully next weekend I can report this to now be the case, fingers crossed...

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 2

Installed a new front to back fuel line. I went for Stainless instrumentation tubing in the end and bent it using my hand pipe benders around the bulkhead up into the engine bay.

Another job I can forget.  :thumbup

It also made a nice change from making cardboard templates, cutting and welding etc. :lol:

Edited by IanMc

31 minutes ago, IanMc said:

Installed a new front to back fuel line. I went for Stainless instrumentation tubing in the end and bent it using my hand pipe benders around the bulkhead up into the engine bay.

Another job I can forget.  :thumbup

It also made a nice change from making cardboard templates, cutting and welding etc. :lol:

Becarful with stainless tubing as with the vibration it can cause stress fractures. 

OK, so I just couldn't resist doing a little something extra tonight  :rolleyes:

I took the NS 'chrome' sill cover and decided to try to clean it up a little.

Before:

And after:

As you can see, it's actually difficult to photograph it at an angle to show how much better it is, but you will have to believe me - it is looking much better!

22 hours ago, IanMc said:
23 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

Tonight .i will mostly be eating .fig biscuits 

Ooh nice, one of my favourites!

Another biscuit I am partial to is a Lemon Puff - remember those?!

I'd enjoy both of these, but you can't beat two Chocolate Digestives arranged chocolate faces together, then dunked into coffee so as the chocolate melts together, expert 'dunkers' never have any biscuit fall into their coffee....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MANTAMAN said:

I'd enjoy both of these, but you can't beat two Chocolate Digestives arranged chocolate faces together, then dunked into coffee so as the chocolate melts together, expert 'dunkers' never have any biscuit fall into their coffee....

Lol, we know how to live don’t we?!

I got a new date through today for the operation on my right hand - it will be on the 24th of August.

So the clock starts ticking down again...

Small update again this evening:

- Added the second coat of underseal to the NSF wing, so that can be bolted back on at the weekend.

- Got both of the large patch panels tacked in place for the NSR inner wing. At the weekend I will get these welded all around, then make up the main arch that joins these two ends together.

Ladies and Gentlemen I am pleased to report that I now have a solid inner arch on the NSR.

I managed to fabricate the ‘L’ shaped arched profile late morning, then welded it in this afternoon.

The photos will follow, principally because there is wet paint, panel seal, underseal etc to try to avoid as I get under there to shoot.

This is a huge step forward and means that the NS is now officially rust free and solid again.

Oh I nearly forgot, this morning I also bolted on the NSF wing too.

Slowly we move forward...

• Like 1

Just added a bit more underseal to a couple of areas, then with that corner complete (from a free of rust perspective anyway), I put the road wheel back on.

So this evening the old girl has four feet back on the floor for the first time in many, many months. I have to say, it’s nice to see.

Tomorrow I may hook up all of the electrics again and start her up. The electrics were all disconnected as a precaution while I was welding. I need to do this in order to turn her round and reverse her into the garage, so I can make a start on the other side.

Weather depending of course.

Edited by IanMc

Mission accomplished!

She started and reversed out of the garage under her own (automatic) steam, got turned around and then reversed back in again. I wont pretend for a minute that this was all hassle free, because it wasn't.

There was a lot of smoke (hopefully just oil and exhaust paste burning off), loads of rattles from the (unset/properly adjusted) hydraulic tappets and a leak from one of the automatic trans banjo connections at the bottom of the radiator (just needed tightening). The carb is miles out of adjustment it seems because as soon as the auto choke went off it struggled to keep running.

I guess that you can expect all of these things from a car that hasn't seen the road since 1995 and is being coaxed back to life.

But it started, ran, steered and braked, so I guess that's all progress   :lol:  :thumbup

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 1