Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

25 minutes ago, Julian said:

You say that you need to get your hand sorted!! I'd have them have a look at you head while you are there if I was you!!!!!!!!!!!!!  0400, there's only owls and burglars  out at that time!!!  

Or, how to endear yourself to your neighbours! :-)

• Like 1

As the fonz would say.      Heeyyyyy

thats good going mate. Ive always intended to do an “all nighter” in the garage but not got round to it yet. 

Although I did come home from the pub other night at 1am and started fixing a tv if that counts in some way !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Julian said:

You say that you need to get your hand sorted!! I'd have them have a look at you head while you are there if I was you!!!!!!!!!!!!!  0400, there's only owls and burglars  out at that time!!!  

Strangely, my Wife said the same lol

I two more small holes tonight that I made patch plates for and welded them in.

The first one was about half way between the cross brace and the foot well on the NS floor, just as it curves up to the door (the the sill). It was probably about 20 mm long and 6 mm wide. All sorted now.

The second one was on the 'new' NSF wing on the inner edge/return close to the battery tray. This one was a series of small holes, making up an area of about 75 mm long across its width. I cut it all out and welded in a small section - again all sorted now.

My next job is to make up a repair plate for the last corner of the NS boot floor, where it meets the inner arch, here:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Hopefully this will be pretty straight forward...

Small update tonight.

This evening I have cut out the rust in the NSF corner of the boot, where it meets the wheel arch.

If I get a chance later I will make up some cardboard templates to represent repair patches.

Have a good evening everyone.

So I had one of those good news, bad news days today...

The bad news is there was a letter from the hospital waiting for me when I got home from work. It said my hand operation has been postponed to a, as yet unspecified, later date.

The good news of course is that this means that I can push on with the Cavalier for a while longer...

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Edited by IanMc

A disappointing and unexpected start to the weekend - my Bosch angle grinder has decided it doesn't want to work anymore. After doing all the usual checks i.e. fuse, switch operation, power reaching the guts etc, it appears as if the motor has just packed up without warning and any nasty noises.

Oh well, off the Screwfix to get a replacement then...

Some good progress today.

Firstly I made up a patch plate for the last remaining hole on the NS of the boot. This is the bit that meets the inner wheel arch.

This is how it was before I started:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

And what we have now:

And the same area when viewed from underneath (prior to the welds being ground / dressed):

You can also see from the above photo that I have closed in the end of the boot floor to wheel arch section. This plate will have a larger one added above it one the inner wheel arch repair is tackled.

Next I decided to take on the outer wheel arch itself...

I had been informed that the front arch profile was very similar to the rear - and still having my old NSF wing I thought I should investigate.

Incredibly, despite most of that wing been scrap the arch itself was probably usable.

Using some reference measurements and the piece that I had cut out of the rear arch I decided to give it a try - I really didn't have much to lose.

The next few photos show the process of plotting out and cutting off the section my template told me I would need. You will notice that the two ends of the arch are toast, but compared to the prospect of creating a whole new arch, I can deal with those very easily:

Next I cut away the rusted section of inner wheel arch - my plan here is to get the outer arch welded in place, then repair the inner out (push it out of course) to meet that. Maybe my thinking here is wrong, but I just thought that would be simpler, purely on the basis that the outer arch will then be fixed, making taking dimensions easier.

Then it was time to tack the outer arch in place to see if it had any chance of fitting and working out:

Things looked quite promising, so I decided to continue. Fast forward 2-3 hours and I now have this - a solid NSR wheel arch again:

There is some small holes that will need to be welded over, then of course add new metal to either end.

But I think with a skim (or two) of filler I will have something quite presentable.

Have a nice evening guys.

• Like 2

My new best friend tool wise is the 80 grit flap disc.

These are really cheap and make light work of dressing welds.

I approached them with some scepticism regarding their weld dress abilities, but I am very impressed.

2 hours ago, IanMc said:

my plan here is to get the outer arch welded in place, then repair the inner out (push it out of course) to meet that. Maybe my thinking here is wrong, but I just thought that would be simpler, purely on the basis that the outer arch will then be fixed, making taking dimensions easier

Looks good and a clever idea. Only problem I can foresee is that when you complete the inner arch welding you won't be able to rust protect the other side of the weld. Then again not sure you could whatever way you did it. 

3 minutes ago, Monaco Blue said:

Looks good and a clever idea. Only problem I can foresee is that when you complete the inner arch welding you won't be able to rust protect the other side of the weld. Then again not sure you could whatever way you did it. 

I hadn’t actually thought about that, but I guess I could just use weld through primer there.

A couple of little fill in jobs completed this morning, following yesterdays work:

- all areas were primed and panel sealed (with brushable sealer).
- restitched the seam on my left welding glove... no wonder I kept feeling small burns on and around my thumb and index finger!
- glued one of the magnets back in to my magnetic work light.

Today is a family day, so that's it from me this weekend I am afraid.

Tomorrow I hope to:

- underseal the bottom corner of the boot repaired yesterday.

- top coat the primer/panel sealer in the boot itself.

- make up some templates for the inner arch.

Have a good day folks.

You should be able to spray the inner arch/outer arch joint from inside the boot area.this is a good place to use up all those odds and ends of paint left in aerosols. Then once car is fully painted / finished you can do the same with clear waxoyl/dinatrol etc of your choice . 

• Like 2

Managed to get a sneaky half hour in this afternoon. This allowed me to get some of tomorrow's jobs done:

- top coat applied to the corner boot repair (inside the boot).

- stone chip applied to the boot floor to arch areas welded yesterday.

- hopefully I might be able to get a little bit of underseal applied later to the bottom of the boot repair - that will only take a few minutes after all  :D

Just been updating my 'TO DO' list for the Cavalier. I put this on an Excel spreadsheet to make it easier to shuffle jobs around, sort by name, priority etc.

I also took the opportunity to count out the completed jobs - so far the total is 289  :o

Another small update tonight.

I spent about an hour measuring up and starting to mock up some templates for the inner wing repair plate(s).

Because of the curvature, I will probably have to split this into two or three separate plates, then join them together.

After prodding around in the NS door shut area (just under the switch for the courtesy light), I discovered four or five little holes.

Some more prodding about revealed that they could conceivably all be linked. So out with the grinder and hacked out a section approx 50 x 50 mm.

Just finished making up the replacement planet and welded it in. Just need to get the welds dressed and some corrosion resistance added now.

29 minutes ago, IanMc said:

After prodding around in the NS door shut area (just under the switch for the courtesy light), I discovered four or five little holes.

Some more prodding about revealed that they could conceivably all be linked. So out with the grinder and hacked out a section approx 50 x 50 mm.

Just finished making up the replacement planet and welded it in. Just need to get the welds dressed and some corrosion resistance added now.

Can you show us all a picture of the planet you made and welded into your car ☺☺☺☺

54 minutes ago, Snowy said:

Can you show us all a picture of the planet you made and welded into your car ☺☺☺☺

lol, bloody phones and predictive text

Or maybe it was actually a whole galaxy...

Like this one  :lol:  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IanMc said:

lol, bloody phones and predictive text

Or maybe it was actually a whole galaxy...

Like this one  :lol:  

Predictive text can be a pain.................i once signed off a work email 'Kind Retards' by accident :lol: in my defence g and t are next to each other on the key board :lol: my other blunder was advertising a car with 'One Pervious Owner' :lol:

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, CRAZYDAVE said:

Predictive text can be a pain.................i once signed off a work email 'Kind Retards' by accident :lol: in my defence g and t are next to each other on the key board :lol: my other blunder was advertising a car with 'One Pervious Owner' :lol:

Classic stuff.

My employer is called Total Lockout and about 2 years ago we were encouraged to Google the company name to show how well we ranked with the search engine.

A female colleague mistakenly used the letter ‘C’ instead of ‘L’ for the second word - when the results came up the look on her face was priceless, but it then turned to a weird smile...:lol: :lol:

• Haha 1

Did some undersealing last night around the NSF. Basically I did the inside of the 'new' wing, following its minor rust repairs and the whole of the inner wing area and rear side of the front valance.

At the same time I discovered some rust 'blisters' on the chassis leg, just in front and behind of the crossmember brace through bolt hole. Nothing nearly serious enough to warrant removing the whole outer skin, so I just ground everything back to good Steel, made up some small plates and welded them in. The largest plate was probably only about 25 x 20 mm, so it tells you that it was nothing too serious.

Perhaps it might be something that will come back to bite me again later, who knows?

Anyway, patches added, undersealing done - so that corner really is pretty much complete now apart from the final paint finish of course. So we keep moving forward  :thumbup

• Like 1