Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

IanMc

4 hours ago, IanMc said:

My fear is always blowing through the metal, so hence my moving fast - I suppose its a subconscious thing. I am fairly confident that I am getting good penetration as the rear of the welded area is always very discoloured and you can see exactly where I have laid the weld and its shape. My lack of experience here might be deceiving me though...

Thanks as always for your help and advice  :thumbup

If its clean, good steel both car and section, and really clean, i havnt burned through yet! If you burn through, you might need to find better steel further back

Mine is a 150 sealey, perfect for body work, as its only one setting from flatout! Will weld box section really good on highest setting.

Wire speed as about 1/3, think its, 4 or 5 its 0.8mm wire, and its perfect all the time, pay attention to nossle, should be about 10mm away from your weld. 

Why not cut two straight lengths, clean em up, i use a sanding block, and a light wipe with thinners, move the rag to a different garage! Ha,ha! Also have an extinguisher, and two water bottles, muckoff they are high powered trigger bottles, goodstuff too! Cant be over cautious! 

You get this! And  youve mastered it, if you are welding say 8 inches, weld and inch, skip and inch, weld an inch,.......... then continue and fill the missed inches! 

stitch-underside.jpg

Restoring cars aint for the faint hearted, and will never be easy, 

The way i look at it, first time its a challenge, but i hope im never here again, i honestly dont mind welding or fabricating, just the grinder does my head in

2 hours ago, cam.in.head said:

So long as the weld melts into bothpieces it should be fine .

You are doing a great job and enjoying it too so thats all that counts. 

:thumbup

• Like 1

This is okay welding for car welding

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/welder-MIG-MAG-gas-without-gas-Metalworks-MIG150/172112068557?hash=item2812adbfcd:g:xfsAAOSwll1WzI4B

Plus a co2 bottle from your local dealer.

I have a very very very old luna migatronic 120 amp.
Which has been converted to a 160amp. Good all-round machine.
Migatronic is a Danish welding brand.

Don’t worry, I haven’t been sitting around on my backside.

I have been very slowly reconstructing the NSR sill area.

To be honest I have found this bit quite tedious, but it is slowly coming together. There are a lot of lines and weld positions to think and worry about, which takes an age.

When you reach the end of a 2-3 hour session in the garage and can’t see much of a change, it can drag you down a bit.

Hopefully this weekend I can bring the body curve down to meet the sill to pep me up a bit.

Cheers all. :thumbup

Edited by IanMc
  • Like 1

I've made some progress over the last few days, but its been painfully slow.

The sill area itself is now fully reconstructed and feel VERY solid, which of course is very pleasing.

Panel sealer and etch primer has been added inside already and (much later) after the access hole has been drilled I will be spraying Waxoly (hopefully) along the whole length of the sill with a pressurised lance.

My next job is to add more welds, then grind them and various other bits back to generally tidy things up. Then I will look to fabricate the 'body curve' panel to close up the hole from above to the sill area.

Anyway, this is what we have so far:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Have a good weekend everyone.

• Like 4

For someone who felt apprehensive at starting this you sound to be doing a better and more thorough a job than any garage would ever do!.ive seen some "proffesional" repairs over the years that have left me wondering !.how many places would bother to paint inside ? How many would even correctly repair the hidden bits you will never know. Your repairs now properly done and protected should never need touching again .you are getting it right first time round which is more than i did. When i first started repairing my cav (20 years ago ) various areas that i didnt paint properly both sides have had to be redone again ,and the second time around its a much bigger repair. I live and learn!. 

But its all immense fun and a great therapeutic way to relax,seeing grotty areas that people look at and say "youle never fix that!' Come together and be as new again makes it all worthwile.us classic owners are a hardy bunch.we wont be beaten and when its all done and finished you are driving a car thats basically your own creation that wouldnt be around if it wasnt for you .

trouble is ....it leads to other  things /hobbies/ ideas etc..   As i told you ian i have an interest in electronics too.hifi and tv's and been lesrning about the newer flat screen tv's ,plasma in particular . 

We were going to visit girlfriends relatives tother friday and spotted a tv out by the side of the road absolutely drenched with the rain we had that day.tv looked like it had been outside for ages ,dug up ! Covered in slimy mud and dirt.   Day after when it wasnt raining we went past again and picked the tv up.   Got it home . Stripped all the internals,washed the plastic casings etc and dried all the circuit boards in the hot sun.replaced a couple of bulging capacitors and reassembled it all.   It now is working fine ,bar no remote control so cant access the menu fully but it works. Just wish i had taken some before and after pictures. Sure its not a mint keeper but it was more of a challenge as a joke realy .

• Like 2

Fantastic, great story Chris.

Thanks also for our kind words, as always they mean a lot and help to keep me going  :thumbup

Another small hurdle overcome this morning.

Armed with my trusty angle grinder and a new cutting disc I managed to get the old (original GM) bush out of the front sub frame to chassis brace.

This means that I can now get that part of the jigsaw buttoned up again.

I bought a two part bush (obviously one slides in from either side), with a central tubular core.

After I got the old one out, I had a quick trial fit of the new one(s) and it pushed straight in under firm double thumb pressure.

So at this point I  do not forsee any problems - fingers crossed.

Sadly, not too much done on the Cavalier today as we have had a heavy day in the garden - building raised beds with railway sleepers...

I did manage to snatch about an hour late on though and got the body curve to sill panel tacked in place. Its very nice NOT to be able to look inside the sill now when sitting next to the car lol.

More welds obviously need to be added, then all ground back. That will be done one evening during the week I guess.

Hi cam.in.head,

i re-bushed my subframes with new GM rubber bushes, it took me a whole day. I removed the old ones and pulled in the new ones using holesaws. 44mm and 57mm was the sizes required. I buffed down the teeth to save them digging into the metal and produced a flat surface. Then I used a long bolt and washers to wind them out and new ones in with. The 57mm was used for the large trailing arm bushes and the 44mm was used for the swing arms and the rest of them.

Edited by Mike.
  • Like 2

Always used to put bushes in using a vice and large sockets, sometimes chamfering an edge to help get it started.

Recently I've started using the polyurethane bushes that come in two halves with the steel insert slotted in, much easier to fit but not ideal if you want originality. 

Well done thats what i was trying to do but i couldnt get a bush back in no matter how i tried. The original gm bush according to the service manual needed a tool that seemed to taper it and guide it in. I ended up having to swap the whole arm for one with a bush in it. 

Personally i wont use poly bushes on anything that could transmit noise or vibration as i like the original rubber type that gm intended. All bar the anti roll bar posts which were a pain in the arse and seem to be a worthwhile swap.

thats just my opinion regarding rubber bushes (and original spec springs and dampers) as i think poly takes the softness away that they were designed with. Im talking cavs here as thats my interest .

Absolutely zero done last night - this garden project is really starting to get in the way. Yes, I'm definitely slacking this week  :lol:

Unfortunately I have another big hold up on the horizon, I have to go into hospital to have an operation on my right hand, and I'm right handed...

Basically it is to try to straighten my little finger, its a condition called Dupuytren's contracture, where your fingers started to close up towards your palm. 'Luckily' mine is confined to the little finger, but its been getting progressively worse over the last two years to the point where it is becoming awkward to put gloves on now.

I honestly don't know how long I will be out of (DIY) action, but I guess it will be 2-3 weeks minimum before I can even think about working with it - perhaps much longer.

Very frustrating.

8 hours ago, Julian said:

Sorry to hear that Ian. I hope you get sorted quickly and back on the spanners.

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

Its just one of those things really, better to get it sorted out of course.

The car can wait a little while. The way I look at it is that at least I will be revitalised and can tear back into it when the hand is a bit better. Sometimes you do need a little break from a project to allow you to move forward again with enthusiasm.

So I have just over another week that I can work on it, so I should be able to get one or two more things done in that time.

Some decent progress this evening.

I managed to get the arch ISOFIX panel welded back in, primed, panel sealed, then primed again.

This is what I started with:

And this is what I have now.

Have a good evening all.

• Like 2

And then I woke up at about 04:00 realising / remembering that I had forgotten to add the seat back rest retaining tab to that last panel.

So what else is there to do, but go out to the garage, cut one from sheet Steel and weld it in of course.

Strange how the mind works isn't it...?!

Right - back to bed! :lol:  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IanMc said:

And then I woke up at about 04:00 realising / remembering that I had forgotten to add the seat back rest retaining tab to that last panel.

So what else is there to do, but go out to the garage, cut one from sheet Steel and weld it in of course.

Strange how the mind works isn't it...?!

Right - back to bed! :lol:  :rolleyes:

You say that you need to get your hand sorted!! I'd have them have a look at you head while you are there if I was you!!!!!!!!!!!!!  0400, there's only owls and burglars  out at that time!!!  

• Like 1