Sign in to follow this  
IanMc

Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

Apologies for repeating a post that I have just placed in the 'Basic Technical Help' section - but this is part of my project, so I thought why not?

As part of my mission to solve the reported 'valve problem' on my car I endeavored to remove the head this afternoon to further investigate (and fix) what appears to be a seized exhaust valve on cylinder number 2.

I removed the carb, manifolds, front cam bolts etc etc and then out came the head bolts - all going smoothly until now...  Basically the head is absolutely stuck solid, it wont budge at all.

So I appeal to the far more knowledgeable than myself - what do I do now to get it off?

I have tried:

- a few subtle strategically placed blows with a wooden block via my claw hammer - but nothing. Should I step up to a club hammer?

- placing a socket extension in the various ports on the manifold side and levering it up with an extension tube - no dice.

I am worried about cracking the head if I get too aggressive with it.

Help required please.

Edited by IanMc

Head now OFF!!

Yes, thanks Mantaray I had remembered those two bolts.

Herman then showed me a good leverage point and with the help of a long lever it 'popped'.

The offending valve is clearly visible. Onwards and upwards now.

Thanks to all!

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Post deleated because it was a post being made in another thread and the website somehow posted it here, wierd !

Edited by MANTAMAN

Small update this morning as we are off out to the In-laws later, so early start to get my 'fix' -  you know how it is  :)

The block face and piston crowns have been cleaned up, thankfully nothing nasty or unexpected was discovered.

Then I started on the stripping of the head - removed the thermostat housing (easier said than done!), nuts and rockers removed, then pulled the hydraulic tappets.

Just waiting for a friend to return the valve spring tool I let him borrow and I can get the 7 valves out that (hopefully) are not seized in the head. The problem child was left to soak last night in WD-40 (after angling the head to allow it to 'pool' around the guide to stem interface area).I had hoped for something to have happened overnight - it didn't..

Can anyone recommend a better penetrating fluid or mixture that might work here?

Thanks in advance, have a good day all.