Sign in to follow this  
IanMc

Polar White and Rust - a restoration epic, can it even be done?

Some good progress today, both at work and home.

My mate Tim managed to hold the font disc to hub assemblies in our 4-jaw chuck on the lathe today and skimmed both for me. The Haynes manual said max permissable runout was 0.009" - he got it within 0.006"max, so good job Tim!

Even at that stage they looked so much better:

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

When I got home I managed to remove the front and rear wheel bearing shells from each with absolutely no problems at all - result.

Then I treated the exposed, rusty surfaces to a light sand and then a coat of high temperature brush on Silver paint. I already had this standing by for the exhaust manifold, so it was an obvious choice.

Hopefully you will agree that they look quite presentable now, plus they should allow the car to roll better and more importantly, stop better too. Obviously I still ned to just tidy up the edges a little, but that over-paint will come off easily with a Stanley knife a bit late this evening.

I have a used set of brake disc backing plates on the way to me. Once they arrive they will also be wire brushed and painted Silver. Then I can fit up the new bearings you can see in one of the photos and then hopefully get both front corners buttoned up again.

Have a nice evening all.

Great thread, fare play, might try this myself! Worth a save, got new disks at 15 years of standing, doing the reverse of you, saving car body first, then a lifetime of mechanical restoration, including manifold and disks! 

Great lesson, in how to sabe stuff rather than replace and renew,  Any ideas on saving mastercylinders, and brake drums, 

Old school mechanical saving has almost died, its more hassle to get a clutch relined, or shoes lined, maybe i should try it, alot of hassle, but would it be cost effective?

Keep up the great work and thread! 

12 minutes ago, ®evo03 said:

Great thread, fare play, might try this myself! Worth a save, got new disks at 15 years of standing, doing the reverse of you, saving car body first, then a lifetime of mechanical restoration, including manifold and disks! 

Great lesson, in how to sabe stuff rather than replace and renew,  Any ideas on saving mastercylinders, and brake drums, 

Old school mechanical saving has almost died, its more hassle to get a clutch relined, or shoes lined, maybe i should try it, alot of hassle, but would it be cost effective?

Keep up the great work and thread! 

Hi mate, many thanks for the kind words - much appreciated.

As an Engineer, my first instinct is always to try to save and make serviceable again. It probably all goes back to my teenage years, where my only option was to try to fix things myself. In other words I learned the hard way, due to lack of money.

Your rear drums can certainly be skimmed out if there is any obvious sign of scoring or wear lips - this will literally take minutes for any good machinist.

Relinjng brake shoes is only really economic if replacement sets are no longer available. It’s obviously doable, but even I wouldn’t bother with that job.

Good luck!