Hi there

opel2000

Thought I'd drop in and say hello.

Been a while since I was a member, but just renewed (possibly much to the horror of some :-) ) only kidding committee.

Not actually owning a Manta yet, but keeping my eyes peeled as from approx one hour ago (due to some good news) and looking for a good project vehicle to sink my teeth into.

• Like 5

Welcome Clive, a few weeks ago when the wheel came off the cav after a long time getting it back to top notch I would have given it you for a tenner..... but it's nearly back to full chuff.

Will be interested to see what you get and what you do to it. :thumbup

good to see all the old faces coming back again its like a bug once smitten always going to get another your old coupe was for sale a couple of months ago clive it just shows you the work you put into it paid of as it still lives on lol:)

• Haha 1

Blimey good to see some familiar names there, as I wasn't too sure just how much the club may have changed since being away for what must be 10 years now apart from a one year membership back in 2012, so thank you all for your comments.

Idea has been for a Hatchback for a while, I never actually owned a white GTE hatch, which to me back in the late 80's and early 90's were the epitomy of the Manta back then. So thoughts are to get an old B series and replicate a GTE, or better still actually get hold of a white GTE Hatch, then do some clever engine work maybe with retaining the cih, and the B series with the lower CR would suit my ideas better than the GTE, as I bet engines are not so easy to source as the days where we stripped them down and threw them away in various skips near our workplace (Cough er Ahem)

But realistically looking for a good Manta project any manta that is.

Hello Kev, yep back in the fold, paid up member again, just a damn shame I lost out on that White hatch you shown me pics of at Market Harborough, cash came through just a tad late .

But I do need to take a drive up and have a boozy eve with the good ol' NW lads at  one of your pub meets,  HECK! last one i went to had Ian and Cheryl were there. and Mr Goacher. in fact the last meeting I got to up there was when you had Ian Grindrod there, OH MY GOD what a man,  quote "I was there at Russelheim the day the Manta 400 was homologated "  What a utterly fantastic bloke and what a brilliant evening that was. Don't do things by half up there do you.

Apart from saying I talked like a Brummie wtf lol :-)

• Like 3

Hi & welcome back on the Manta scene. Some lucky Manta's going to have some great TLC from you B)

Your Bling is like rocking horse poo to get hold off and still going for good money. I still have all the parts I purchased from you with some still to fit :thumbup

11 hours ago, Danny D114BCW said:

Hello Clive! Welcome back to the asylum! Ha Ha. 

Great to see your a paid uo member, I am glad me and Kev inspired you to rejoin! I am sure Kev still has that hatch in the unit? 

Carch you soon mate! 

Bloody Hell Danny, If Kev still has that Hatch I need to see it,,,,, I best get in touch with him, I'm being offered Manta's left right an centre at the moment,,,,, Didn't know there were so many around still..... Loads off the road and in project / unfinished project status it seems.

And a Big Wow and thanks to the comments people have put up, what a lovely welcome back to the club.

• Like 2

Hi Clive, great to have you back on here mate and as a paid up member too. 

Its interesting to see your custom solutions plants crop up from time to time.......they have reached legendary status in much the same way as Trevor Lewis bonnets! 

Hope you find a nice white GTE hatch as I can see you making a real nice job of that. I agree that they were once the epitome of what a Manta is all about and hatches don’t tend to get the same attention as coupes anymore. 

Hope to catch up some time soon. Get your butt over to a midlands pub meet one Friday and chew the cud. 

Cheers for now,

Paul. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is becoming the old Gits reunion thread ! oh, wait a minute, i'm an old git myself now !

Welcome back Clive, its funny that people who have once had a Manta always end up coming back to them despite some of them vowing never to have another one ( Chris Burt.... !!)

• Like 1

Less of the old Gits Ian , sure you are just talking about yourself there,,, well there may be others too. lol :o:thumbup

I am now proud Manta owner, "

Irmscher Gte exclusive Hatch, 1 owner from new, 89 thou on the clock restoration project, all interior there and clean, mainly welding needed" And Oh My God! what the hell do I do with it???? Original is crying out to me..... And my ideas of a deep mettalic flame red as per the new Mazda colour with  deep dish cross spoke alloys and wheels tucked nicely into the arches and a turbo'd or preferably supercharged cih..... Oooh time will tell.........

And Irmscher Man, I shall be definately popping over to the Midlands pub meets. it was the Market Harborough meet that really set me off.

On 10/10/2017 at 01:02, Irmscher Man said:

Hi Clive, great to have you back on here mate and as a paid up member too. 

Its interesting to see your custom solutions plants crop up from time to time.......they have reached legendary status in much the same way as Trevor Lewis bonnets! 

Hope you find a nice white GTE hatch as I can see you making a real nice job of that. I agree that they were once the epitome of what a Manta is all about and hatches don’t tend to get the same attention as coupes anymore. 

Hope to catch up some time soon. Get your butt over to a midlands pub meet one Friday and chew the cud. 

Cheers for now,

Paul. 

Thanks Paul, pretty damn flattering that, tbh as I get a tad older I do need to be putting a little something in place for myself, I had a big customer base in Jap turbo'd vehicles, and main body of work went to Australia, it is all there for me to pick up the reins, but it is so damn nice in my day job finishing work at 4pm and a 12:00 finish on a Friday, but with my new car I'll be wanting stuff so stuff will filter through again and start to be available.

Shall be over to the meets to see you all..... what a lovely feeling of continuity, sort of makes the world feel a very nice place.... But you aint getting a kissy smiley lol :P:D

Edited by opel2000
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, opel2000 said:

I am now proud Manta owner, "

YES !! brilliant, and the Manta has found a home where it will be loved.

30 minutes ago, opel2000 said:

my ideas of a deep mettalic flame red

I have always thought a Burgundy or Dark Wine red would be excellent on a Manta, particulary on a hatch, and if your a little more daring do whatever wheels you choose the same colour with a silver rim, like an exclusive, and being an exclusive i guess it will have the Chicago Grey interior which is a perfect offset for a dark red exterior, a dark grey interior would be too much dark throughout the Manta.

OMFGG what a turnaround.....

You would have been knocking on my door to lecture me to keep it original, and I would have been saying fuck off, now of all the modded Manta's I've done and I'm saying I'm thinking of keeping his original, i have YOU Mr. Virco saying "Hmm modify it" 

Don't really know what else to say, think i'll grab another beer and a fag. 

Edited by opel2000
Missed out "I"

Welcome back to the club Clive, I've only been in the club since 2009 so i'm a relative newbie. Look forward to meeting up with you at MHarb in 2018.

That Exclusive hatch you've bought looks a great basis for one stunning car once restored.

Edited by Rapierdave

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/10/2017 at 21:43, opel2000 said:

You would have been knocking on my door to lecture me to keep it original, and I would have been saying fuck off, now of all the modded Manta's I've done and I'm saying I'm thinking of keeping his original, i have YOU Mr. Virco saying "Hmm modify it" 

Though i do really like seeing a classic car in original condition I have never been anti modified cars, i did some work to help modify the Green Exclusive 16 valve, and i'd like to do a modified Manta myself, but there are some Mantas ( and other classic cars ) that should never be modified, like both the Mantas i have won 'pots' with at the anual rally are totally original, The Gold 1800 hatch and gold 1976 1900 coupe ( avatar left ),  it would be a crime to modify them.

Clive, this latest aquisition would restor to a lovely original condition Manta, but modified in your hands it would also work out great, you know how to create a modified car without going over the top, your Black Coupe had a lot of modification yet it wasn't outlandish.

• Like 1