Sign in to follow this  
bris jas

Full Restoration D91 MOP

Not sure if you can buy a battery tray for rhd car, i did find one but it was for a left hand drive car so obviously wouldn't fit as on other side of car. If you can get them please let me know for next time.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Onto the wing rail next.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

As other side i over lapped new panel by 10 mm allowing me to weld by sides.

Edited by bris jas
  • Like 4

OMG that is one rotten Manta but the repairs you are carrying out look great.

As has been mentioned earlier, a few years ago this Manta would have been scrapped but due to rising values especially of coupes then its worth saving.

If it turns out as good as your Droop Snoot Firenza then it will be stunning when finished.

See you soon Jas

• Like 1

That is great work, wish you were local as I'd be mithering for help with replacing my rear quarter panels, can't find anyone so I'm going to have to get my backside in gear and cutter out :rolleyes:

I know I'm asking a lot but I'm worried about where to start cutting, if I drill the spot welds out and post some pictures will anyone just confirm my theories as to where to cut etc? 

Chèers,

Terry 

Great work mate, be careful with the roller. My Brothers manta hit the floor upside down due to the rollers going under it. It was the back one and nearly ripped the back panel off, the roof got a bang too

Terry i'm sure we can help with where to cut etc once you post up some pic's, i have the 2 ends of the spit tied together Kev so they won't come apart, i also fitted wheels with brakes on so it can't wonder around. Second car on there with no concerns so far touch wood!

So on to the N/S/R Arch.

I clamped over the new arch and draw a line around so i could see how much i could remove if needed. As the inner arch was in much better condition than the O/S i managed to drill out a lot of the spot welds around the outer to inner arch.

I was then able to cut off the rotten section of arch, i carried out a couple of repairs to the lip of the inner arch so i had good metal to weld to.

New arch trimmed to fit and welded in. If you do fit one of these always spot weld (mig) around first in different places or atleast couple of inches apart to stop the panel distorting because the heat from the mig can cause this and could runion a decent job!

Next was to sort out a rusty piece to the rear of the 1/4 panel

All the rot cut out so i fabricated 2x pieces to make the shape, first the bottom piece that would spot weld to the flange and form the flat bottom and large piece to form the main section, funny old piece this as it curves different was so a little persuasion was needed!

Next was the spare wheel well.

Firstly i cleaned off all the paint etc to see how much rot there was, then i drilled off the tow eye bracket as this was good. Then removed again all rotten metal.

For some reason i didn't take a picture of the hole but you can see in the finished pic how much was removed/replaced

And then towing eye welded back on.

I had a perfect bonnet from my V8 i am using as that has a 400 bonnet on it, i managed to pick up 2x good wings last week. Both will be taken back to bare metal for examination but should be good. With these good panels i could now to a trail fit of the front end and weld in a new lower front panel

I hadn't had to repair any of the boot aperature but a trial fit there just for piece of mind

As mentioned in my other thread, next and final rusty job is the roof!

TBC

• Like 4

Quality work going on here. 

Battery trays were available back in the day but they was LHD ones so you had to flip them and it made depressions for water to pool into so I never used it.