Centaur pics, info, owners etc

FlanFlinger

56 minutes ago, manta88 said:

Found this one at a show in Leicestershire, don't know the number on the dash it also has a full Exclusive interior fitted. BJW464T

That's number 61, it's certainly doing the rounds of the shows, that's the second set of pictures I've received of it in the past couple of days, the others din't show it had been defiled with a manta interior though :blink:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2017 at 08:11, Titson said:

This is one I collected from a chap in London several years ago as he had lost his storage. Phone call on a Saturday morning to collect same day!!

Sat in my workshop for quite awhile, so I got the V5 transferred into my name as hadn't heard from him for 6 months. Then finally 'sold' it back and delivered it into a barn near Bath from memory. More than likely still sitting there.

@Titson That's the one that's mentioned in the above post BFG65T

I've been watching this thread with interest - I love to see these database coming together of the rare models.

I was having a look through some old Billing Photos earlier this week and this White convertible cropped up for a few years running - MPL 1P. It has Centaur Badges on and according to the DVLA, was registered as a White Vauxhall Cavalier on 26th March 1980 - so the 4 slot front panel looks to be a later addition, like the Cheque Recaro interior and twin headlamps. I did have a quick skim through your list and I couldn't see this one mentioned.....the registration date and style of conversion would suggest that it is an original Centaur - at least I think!

Here are a couple of pictures from the Concours at Billing in July 2004:

DSC09318.JPG

DSC09344.JPG

That was originally GUF135V, commission number 60.

It's on my list as a Manta base according to the info I got from Crayfords, it was owned by the late Micky Priestman of Crayfords.
It's still lurking somewhere as it's on a SORN, I'll check the list against the DVLA again to see if any have come off SORN for the summer :thumbup

Ahhh....that was the infamous GUF! Excellent. Keep up the good work. 

Have you thought about putting an article together for the mag? It would make an interesting read and you know more about the Centaurs than the rest of us put together! 

I would do if I was a paid up member B)

Get's a bit pricey when you have to pay to access some content on various forums, that's not a criticism, just having two other classics as well I can easily spend over £150 a year just on subs, and I've just blown some of that budget on a pair of NOS door release pull surrounds, but I can certainly knock something up now I've almost got verification of how many were actually made, still missing some commission numbers and it would seem some got shipped out to dealers and sat for a bit before being registered so can't use the reg date to fill in the blanks, I've contacted one of the few old KJ employees to confirm this as I thought they were all built to order  

I've been approached by "Irish Vintage Scene" to do an article for them, especially now the first one made is now living over here but been putting it off until I've sorted out where my hood has started to come away from the body, I've also considered doing a small booklet for fellow owners with any known history behind each car, but will need to contact some sources I've snaffled pictures from to get their permission to use them.

Other things on my list are to get some dies machined up to reproduce the "Centaur" badges as I think I've bought all the remaining stock and those are all earmarked for various owners that are in the process of restoration. Get the dashboard decals made and find a source for the Campagnolo wheel centres (I can find quite a few but none the size I need)

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 20:11, FlanFlinger said:

Got that on the list but no commission number sadly

I have BCV in my workshop at the moment, its come in for sump and auto box gaskets, a quick service and an MOT.

Would you like me to find any information out from the owner for you ?

• Like 1

Yes please !!!

Some up to date pictures would be nice, just don't tell the owner about dad bringing it home and the neighbours garage catching alight :thumbup

If you could pass my details on to the owner as well

Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/295740210903528
My email churchward.sg@gmail.com

If neither of those are of any use to them I'll pm you my snail mail address 

22 hours ago, FlanFlinger said:

Yes please !!!

Some up to date pictures would be nice, just don't tell the owner about dad bringing it home and the neighbours garage catching alight :thumbup

If you could pass my details on to the owner as well

Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/295740210903528
My email churchward.sg@gmail.com

If neither of those are of any use to them I'll pm you my snail mail address 

Hi,

I will get some pictures and post them up here, the owner is a lovely chap who drives the car very frequently, its not immaculate but its a running used car that he is fond of.

Is there a chassis plate or similar you would like a picture of ?

Commission number from inside the glove box if it's still there, and if he's OK with it the chassis and engine numbers would be nice to have as I've got those for 38 of them, would make identifying missing commission numbers easier.

I know this is all about the centaurs but does anyone remember a Red 2 slot Manta b that was turned into a convertable from a hatchback? Apparently its picture appeared in the club mag years ago :unsure:

Stumbled across it where it has been slumbering in a garage for many years, didn't get the number plate but it had the same T roof as the Centaurs. It had even had a custom bootlid arrangement made for it but with the deeper tailgate vertical piece. Had various things stored on it and tightly parked in a single garage so couldn't get a good look, but its hopefully being dug out shortly so i might get a better look over it.

I'd like to see that, seen a few no T-bar conversions and targa types. 

I've been trying to find a contact at Mumfords as part of my research as Crayford don't seem to know much after the first 3, it's taken me into the seedy world of Marina rag tops :(

Its does have the wing and boot stickers !

Whats your history with this car ? you are obviously familiar with it.  :)

I have just stopped it leaking !  here is a mid-way through pic, its all back up and running now and is leak free. MOT on Wed !

Under BCV.jpg

• Like 1

My late father was in charge of the workshops and bodyshops at KJ Motors so did the PDI on all of them, that meant bringing them home, I was taken to school in pretty much every one, when he died I decided to use some of my inheritance to get a car that we both liked, I was looking at FE Victors, Audi 200T, Monza GSE's, and the PA Velox (although I'd never get that past the wife), I eventually stumbled on a Centaur, rare enough and the fact it was in Ireland where I now live it kinda made it the car to get. That car sticks in my mind because the colour suited it, and the whole neighbours garage catching alight the night he brought it home. 

That looks unrestored underneath, can you get some closer pictures of the box section on the sills, specifically the jacking point areas, it looks like the rear jacking point is obscured by the extra box section like mine is.

I'll take some pic of mine for reference, it's got a bit of 4x2'ish box over the front jacking point and a triangulation kinda affair going on at the back 

• Like 1