1987 Manta 1.8S Berlinetta

Rapierdave

James Coghlan (Stradacab) & Myself have just agreed to buy another Manta as a joint project.

Background story is whilst at a local show last month a gentleman was chatting to us on our stand & mentioned that he had a Manta which he had owned from new & was currently stored in a garage & had been off the road for the last 15 years, he said he would like to sell it & naturally he had our undivided attention especially as the car was stored only a few miles from us.

The guy that owns it had taken it to Billing several times in the 1990's his name is Bill Flook if any one remembers him from that time.

We went to see the car today, its a 1987 Manta 1.8S Berlinetta, all original & 1 owner from new with 93,550 miles from new.

Its been well maintained, with service & maintenance history including engine oil changes every 4500 miles & gearbox & back axle oil changes every 9000 miles  engine turns over so not seized, extensive history with the car including all MOT's.

Although the car looks dusty & needs a good clean the body is generally very good with just some welding needed on both sills at the point where the join is &  one swan neck is starting to blow. The arches are solid but will need the lips rubbing down & repainting. Sun roof is perfect as the car was garaged at night & when not in use. Bumpers were removed & repainted when it was put into storage & just need re-fitting.

Plan is to recommision/restore it & keep it original then sell it hopefully to a club member who wants an original 1.8 Manta Hatch.

If it doesn't sell then we will bring it to Harborough next year

Here are a few pics i took today

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

Project images are available to Club Members Only, Click to become an OMOC Member.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monaco Blue said:

Nice one! Amazing what is still tucked away.

It's a very late Berlinetta. I don't recall having ever seen one on a E plate before.

Apparently it was the third from last made before they dropped the model & then only made the Exclusive Hatch. 

• 4 weeks later...

We picked up the hatch yesterday luckily only a short 3 mile journey home

Got it back & James & I gave it a pressure wash & i took a pic of the trophies it had previously won at Billing in the Nineties

Next job was to try & start it, well the tank was bone dry so we put 12 litres of fuel in but no joy, we then primed the fuel pump & eventually had fuel but the sod still wouldn't start even though we had a spark. Put the battery i had fitted back on charge overnight & this morning it started after 15 years of storage. The cloud of smoke that filled the neighborhood looked like a throwback to the 1970's when my dad used to put Redex in his tank !

Did a compression test & results were 220 PSI, 220PSI, 210 PSI & 180 PSI. Does this sound ok for a 1.8 ?

Got to work cleaning the engine bay & its starting to look better already

We knew that some welding was needed on both sills so passenger side has this for James to weld

Divers side is a bit worse 

With the usual evidence of previous bodged repairs

But she is remarkably solid for a 30 year old car & after a quick T Cut down one side plus James refitted the rear bumper she is starting to look like one nice 1.8 Manta Berlinetta.

• Like 5

On 26/09/2017 at 18:54, Rapierdave said:

Did a compression test & results were 220 PSI, 220PSI, 210 PSI & 180 PSI. Does this sound ok for a 1.8 ?

Atmospheric pressure at sea level, 1 Bar, is about 14.5 PSI, I think an Opel 1800 engine has a compression ratio of just over 9:1, so the pressure would be about 130 PSI. 210 PSI is a compression ratio of 15:1 !! it shouldn't be able run at this, the fuel would go bang before the top of the compression stroke, i think you might have a faulty gauge or reading a wrong scale.

You must change all the fluids, i wouldn't have run it without an oil and filter change because oil degrades over time, i am currently struggling with a Vauxhall 1800 engine that hasn't had an oil change for over a decade because it has hardly done any miles, the oil still turned strange and left the inside of the engine and sump looking someone had tarmac'd it ! make sure you use the correct oil for the gearbox.

Make sure the seals in the brake piston seals haven't perished, they'd just suddenly give way, suddenly there would be no brakes, suddenly there would be a warm feeling in your trousers ! Another potential cause of that warm feeling below could be the tires, if they are over ten years old get new ones, rubber age hardens and looses grip and also becomes brittle so the tire could delaminate at speed, a serious 0h $+!T moment. Vredestien make good quality tires in Manta 1800 size, about the only good company that do now.

Danny is right about the head gasket, my Gold hatch head gasket failed and that had less than 30k at the time, the gasket rots through from the waterways and eventually rust through the fire ring. A top end rebuild with fresh gaskets and all the old sludgy oil clean out would do it the world of good.

To get the hot air intake pipe back to fresh white use soap powder and some gentle scrubbing,.

It's certainly looking good, hopefully it will be an easy project for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Update time on the Hatch

James & I have spent quite a lot hours in the last  few weeks working on the car. First job once it was properly jacked up was to have good poke around the usual Manta rusting places & although it is in remarkable condition for a facelift Manta we found rust. We knew about the sill rust as that was obvious & here's a few pics of James cutting out the offside sill rust & welding a new sill section in.

Whilst James was doing that I was checking under the washer bottle & unfortunately although it looked ok once I had started to poke around it started to look like Swiss cheese so we removed the front wing & James set about fabricating some awkward shaped bits of metal to weld into the holes that we had created after cutting out all the bad bits.

This was the hole I made, it was a bit bigger after James took the angle grinder to it

it was welded up, here's the pic before all the weld has been ground back

Painted, washer bottle now back in & wing back on after we had removed any loose paint underseal from the inside of the wing & repainted it.

Next job was to move the car to turn it around & start the other side, but the sod wouldn't start & we had had this problem intermittently before. We found that the fuel pump was not working properly so fitted a new one

Car now turned around & ready for inspection for rust & yes we did find some more although surprisingly the battery tray was perfect

at the rear had the same rust as the other side but wasn't quite as bad

Oh dear more rust, we did however remove the dim dip relay before welding up the second bit

So we have to attend to this next

Interior got cleaned up with an extraction cleaner & came up well

There are literally pages & pages of receipts & history for the car which I have now sorted into a folder including every tax disc & MOT & the original order form from May 1987 & the bill of sale from August 1987.

Does anyone remember this Vauxhall dealer from the Fishponds area of Bristol who supplied the car new in August 1987

• Like 4

Top work lads ! This is coming back to being a nice Manta.

If it was going to be a keeper i'd ditch that mechanical fuel pump, being high on the engine and hence higher than the fuel tank outlet the fuel runs back down the pipe if it's been stood for a week or more, So the pump won't lift it back up perhaps because its airlocked, The answer is fit an electric fuel pump, like a facet, at the tank outlet to push the fuel up to the carb and put a loop of dummy pipe on the mechanical fuel pump to maintain the original appearance.

• Like 1

After we thought we had found all the rusty bits we then found some more in a place that James said they don't normally rust, i thought that was only the glass on Mantas :D

James did a great job fabricating a replacement section & welding it in so thats the weldathon now finished.

Next job was service (oil, filters, antifreeze etc) then complete the front brake work including new dust seals for the pistons.

Car was a sod to start if it had been left for a week or more so fitted a fuel non return valve in the line back to the tank as the problem seems to be a design fault in having the pump high up on the 1.8 engine.

Front bumper now refitted everything seems to work now apart from the speedo :(

MOT booked in for Monday then got to get the paint done to the sills & lower part of the doors. Target is to get the car taxed & finished by early November

Although the wheels are not ATS's finest design, due to fact they are in such good nick we are going to keep them & the car as original

• Like 3

Oooo, That engine bay looks nice, and i do love a good engine bay, I take it as given that we will be able to enjoy some beauty shots when it has it's MOT and paint touch-up ?

2 hours ago, Rapierdave said:

Car was a sod to start if it had been left for a week or more so fitted a fuel non return valve in the line back to the tank as the problem seems to be a design fault in having the pump high up on the 1.8 engine.

As my previous post above, if it was a keeper fit an electric pump at the tank.

2 hours ago, Rapierdave said:

Although the wheels are not ATS's finest design, due to fact they are in such good nick we are going to keep them & the car as original

I don't mind these wheels at all, like the Frod XR3 teli-dial wheels they are SOOO eighties and right for the car with the rest of it being so original.

Good luck for monday, though with your abilities and standard of work i doubt you'll need luck.

• Like 1

JHY passed its first MOT since 2002 today with no advisories :thumbup

So that's a relief, when driving to the MOT garage found that the speedo isn't working so need to investigate that next.

Got a reasonable quote to paint both sides of the car below the rubbing strips & to remove a ding on the offside rear quarter above the rubbing strips, will have a chat to James Coghlan & if he agrees we can get it in to be painted in about three weeks time.

This car will eventually be up for sale if anyone is interested we will offer it to members first before Fleabaying it

Edited by Rapierdave
  • Like 4

Took the speedo cable off today & found it was indeed snapped near the gearbox end, Carl Morris (Mr Carlos) is supplying a replacement.

Found the length of the cable outer is 1675mm if anyone needs the dimension.

Whilst the instrument binnacle is out i replaced the crap gauge lights for LED's.

Going to tax the car from Wednesday 1st November & get some more quotes for paintwork to be done on lower half of doors & sills.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Car is now back from the paint shop, we decided to have both sides completely repainted rather than just the lower halves.

Result looks good, the final fit up has now started & should be completed by Monday once the Berlinetta door transfers have been applied by James Coghlan.

Been cleaning up the engine bay today & generally cleaning the car as it was very dusty following all the paint prep work.

Will get some pics up once completed next week.

We were planning to keep this car till Spring/Summer 2018 then sell but we have had interest in the car & it is now provisionally sold.

Be sad to see it go but it then leaves room for another project if the right car comes up for sale in the future. ;)

The main thing is another Hatch is saved & going to a Manta enthusiast.

• Like 1